Once Again: A Modern Fairy Tale - Book One - Ch. 1

Once Again: A Modern Fairy Tale - Book One - Ch. 1

A Chapter by M. Kari
"

Change

"

“I am not selfish!   I simply want to do as I please,  is that so hard to understand?”

“No, Aerrvin,  I understand you. Really, I do,  it is just--  hmm,  you are turning one hundred and ninety years old next month, and you have yet to find a bride. Your parents are beginning to despair, and for them that is saying something!  You know how patient they are, ” the broad Brownie sighed and sat down on a piece of driftwood,  which lay partially within the tide pool wherein the prince sat.

Prince Aerrvin, as is well known within his sphere,  is partial to textures. He had  been indulging in his enjoyment of sea anemone’s and starfish.

The six inch Fairy Prince replied with a splash of his foot in the tide pool,   “Just because tradition says the oldest must have a child first, doesn’t mean it HAS to be,  Does it? I mean, really Bronwyn, if that sister of mine had just waited a little longer to marry, they would not be so anxious!”

Unfortunately, Princess Harmony HAD married and was truly desirous to get on with her life, if you know what I mean.

“Well, sir, if I may say so�" it has never been done. Do you really want to be the one to try it and see what happens?”

Aerrvin sat on the tip of a starfish,  idly; he stroked its nubby surface.  the gusty breeze from the ocean lifted his sun colored locks away from his pensive face.  He carefully considered his options.  Being royal should allow one greater freedom,  and yet,  he concluded after a brief thought perhaps an hour that responsibility overshadowed desire, and such a responsibility was not really so awful of a prospect.  Too he had thought of the  sweet mermaid who had spurned his advances, truly it was time to let that dream die.

So it was, as the broad Brownie sat awaiting a response from his master, Prince Aerrvin ap Rosewin’s beatific face broke into a beaming grin, rivaling the dawn.

“Pack up your satchel Bronwyn, we are off to find me a wife!”

I should have noted the gleam in his eye, yet I was too excited with the prospect of doing more than sitting about on the beach, beneath the sea, or within the fair princes’ tree home.

“How wonderful! Should we go to Australia, Germany or directly home?” Bronwyn asked, with hopes of returning to his beloved Ireland.

“None of them, we are going to the Emerald City.

“But�" but, pardon me your Highness, we have already visited the Fairy Rings there, and none of them were suitable for the likes of you.” A sniff is implied here.

 “Ah, but I am not going to the Rings. I am going to become a merchant, what is it they call them now? Ah, yes! I am going to be a businessman,” Aerrvin said with a wink and a nod.

Then right before the Brownie’s eyes�" with a ripple and a bend of light, Prince Aerrvin ap Rosewin was six feet tall instead of six inches; the sight would have been majestic and flawless�" except Aerrvin realized he was standing on the starfish and stumbled hastily to the side.

Gareth happened to be flitting near and landed lightly in the sand. With a clarion chuckle he mocked, “Ha ha, Aerrvin! Are you practicing your earth sciences for the first time?”

While Aerrvin merrily brushed the sand off himself, Bronwyn quickly informed Gareth, of the prince’s desire to find his wife among the Humans of Seattle.

With a shocked expression, shown by a carefully arched eyebrow, Gareth asked, “What makes you think a Human wants to marry you? As far as we know, it has not been done for over two hundred years!”

“Look at me, what’s not to love?” Aerrvin ran his fingers through his golden hair casually as he smirked at his best friend and cousin.

As I said, the Fair Folk are quite vain, and the royalty are the worst. Yet my family are sworn to serve, and serve we will.

“Ah hem �" Your Highness, if you are going to do this; you must change your attire. I do not think silk and spider web lace are currently in fashion. Let me wife scout the area for a suitable homestead. Tomorrow is soon enough, surely?” Bronwyn was confidant his wife Button could secure an acceptable home, her connections were vast.

Gareth eyed his cousin critically before taking to the air once more, with his sleek black hair trailing behind, he called, “I can’t wait to tell Jaera about this!”

***

Mara wandered aimlessly,  down a relatively quiet side street,  near downtown Seattle.   That is,  if anything in a city can be called quiet.  She was thinking about her photography class. Her final project was due on May 28th and she still had no idea what direction she wanted to go with it.  Since she is quite prone to speaking to herself, anyone nearby would have heard the raven-haired student in deep conversation.

“The assignment said it should be unique and representative of nature in the city,” she spoke in a clear, whispery voice. “Nature in the city�" nature, natural, hmm,” she sighed, but then brightened when she noticed someone had taken over the old Laundromat that had been sitting vacant for several months.

With more than casual interest,   Mara sat down on the nearby bench to watched the workers carry plain cardboard boxes into the building.   With her curiosity piqued, she wondered what kind of business it would be.  Naturally, Mara always had her camera handy, so she began shooting a few shots to document her day.  Not to mention th fact that she found the, the workers  rather cute. A few people showed up at the bench, blocking her view and then her bus arrived.

***

Aerrvin felt her interest as soon as he left the delivery truck.

“Hey Gareth,  that girl likes me.

“Yeah,  and so does every lass we have seen all day.” Gareth jibed,  “So how about we make a bet?”

They entered the store and left the boxes for Jaera and Seamus to unpack. Going back out Aerrvin saw the girl who was aiming deep thoughts of intrigue his way and gave her his most charming grin as her bus pulled away. “Aye, Gareth any wager you want. What say you?”

Gareth noted the exchange and quickly recalculated,  “I say you canna get a lassie afore Mid Summer.

“Aye,  that I can,  and I shall take ye up on it. But we had best learn to speak like proper Brits instead of country lads.

Gareth grimaced,  but agreed they shouldn’t stand out too much. “Very well,  is this better?”

Aerrvin laughed and replied,  “I think we will take a refresher course on American slang and accents tonight while we Dream.

***

When the bus came to a stop,  Mara steeled herself for another trying time at work.

“Here I am again. Not my favorite place,  but it pays the bills.

Truly, Mara did not mind her job as the assistant director of activities for the Safe Haven Retirement Center she enjoyed the older people. It just bothered her when they got too sick to participate, or worse. In addition, while Karen was her boss �" she was also bossy!  That is just annoying,  Mara mused as she entered the craft room.

“I really do know how to do things myself, ” Mara proclaimed,  pushing an errant curl behind her ear.

“What was that?”   Karen asked as she huffed into the craft room. Karen always spoke as though everything annoyed her.

“Oh, nothing,” Mara replied innocently. “I just thought I would get the supplies out myself.

George had fun harassing the ladies during crafts.  He never participated, but liked the company.  Finally, Mara’s shift was over.  She only worked part time Monday �"Thursday.  She was a full time student; she didn’t have time for more. It was her great fortune that when her Great Aunt had died,  she left her with a small inheritance; her town house, which gave her a place to stay near the college.  Also quite a few antiques remained in the house, which she sold to pay for her tuition each year.

On the bus ride home her mind reviewed the day, easily she recalled one mischievous smirk, with a twitch of her own full lips.

***

“Friday,” Mara said, as she brushed her hair in front of the mirror. “Today I have to turn in my idea for photography, and I have a math test. I hate math!” Hastily she applied a pale pink blush to her smooth white cheeks and then a light skiff of brown eye shadow to highlight her blue eyes. “No time for mascara, I might miss the bus,” she sighed, as she quickly left her room.

“Are you talking to yourself again?” Jill quipped. Jill was her renter, she had the bedroom suite across the hall; they shared the kitchen and living room.

“Not any more than usual,” Mara replied as she grabbed an orange and a granola bar. “What have you got planned for tonight? ”

“A block party - to welcome our new neighbors!”   Jill answered with a few dance steps thrown in to emphasize music and fun. A near Lucille Ball look alike, she was always trying to match Mara up with the guys in the neighborhood, with almost the same comedic effect.

“I didn’t know we had new neighbors, but it sounds fun,” Mara responded with a shrug as she went out the door. The walk to the bus stop was only half a block to the corner. In truth, she was leaving her house earlier than needed, so she walked on down the street to where the old Laundromat was.

“Just to check on their progress, really,” she mused, a small smile pulling at her mouth crookedly.

***

“Hey, Aerrvin she is out there again,” Gareth called. “She has her camera too. Why do you think she is The One?”

“Magic,” Aerrvin replied.

“Oh, no that is not fair, nor allowed,” Gareth accused.  “Compulsion is strictly forbidden. Is that not right, Jaera?”

“Yes, but I do not think he used Compulsion. Did you?” Red-haired Jaera hung more chimes on the hooks attached to the ceiling. Balanced daintily on the top most step, she turned to face Aerrvin with a laughing smile. One more suitable for an imp, I might add.

“No, of course not, I am high-born and well-schooled. I used an old spell I learned from my Great Grandfather before he Faded, great is his memory, it simply lets one know when another is thinking of them.  It also let's me feel what their emotions are. Quite useful among; say�" friends and enemies,” Aerrvin paused to look pointedly at Jaera.

He did not honestly hold a grudge against her, but as younglings Jaera had tried several times to get Aerrvin in trouble with their teachers, especially Master Groban. “It only works on those in whom I have an interest, be they friend or foe, and they must be within twenty spans of me.

“Limited, but useful,” Gareth murmured. “Will you teach it to me?”

“Later, she is thinking about me�" and she is pleased,” the Prince said with a smile. Picking up a chime, he went outside to hang it on the new post a Brownie had made just for that purpose. Above the post was the sign advertising the name and nature of the young businessman’s new venture.

***

Mara was pleased when she saw the new store was an arts and craft store. “Perfect, that’s precisely what we needed!” Noticing more people arriving for the bus, she made an effort to moderate her outbursts.

“Now I won’t have to go to the mall to pick up supplies for work,” she said to a lady as Mara belatedly noticed her sitting down to wait for the bus.

Quietly for a change, she wondered if the worker which she had seen yesterday worked there, or if he was just a delivery guy. Then,  to her surprise and delight, he walked out, glanced at her with his secretive smile, and hung up a wooden wind chime. The wind blew his golden locks up off his collar and the chime sounded clear and mellow. “Beautiful,” she marveled as the bus arrived.

“Now, why didn’t I take a picture?” Mara whispered on the crowded bus. “Oh, I’ve got it! My final project will be about the effects of wind in the city. I’m glad I only have two classes today. I can’t wait to get started!”

Her seatmate nodded absently, she’d sat with Mara before.



© 2011 M. Kari


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on June 11, 2011
Last Updated on June 11, 2011


Author

M. Kari
M. Kari

WA



About
I love to read and i love to write. I have six novels written in need of good critiques and much editing. I am the mother of eight children and grandma of four. I am a homemaker first and also .. more..

Writing
Inner Light Inner Light

A Poem by M. Kari