Once Again: A Modern Fairy Tale - Book One - Ch. 3

Once Again: A Modern Fairy Tale - Book One - Ch. 3

A Chapter by M. Kari
"

A Gentle Breeze

"

Mara’s townhouse was right in the center of the block,  seven houses down from the Victorian mansion Aerrvin had rented.  The walk was pleasant,  it was not raining,  yet clouds could be seen to the west.  Aerrvin could tell it was going to be a fantastic sunset.  He rarely missed them; dusk was his favorite time of the day. 

As you may know,  cold temperatures do not affect magical beings much,  but the warmth of the sun is most assuredly enjoyed. 

It was sixty-nine degrees and calm,  except around Aerrvin who always brought a bit of a breeze with him wherever he went. 

“Jaera,  I think your Fairy Dust is on a little bit strong,” Aerrvin commented with a slight wave,  blowing free a smattering of sparkles.  “You don’t need much to garner attention among college students,” he admonished,  looking over her attire. 

Jaera was a short five-foot,  fire-haired,  freckle-faced imp of a girl.  She was able to get away with wearing her regular attire; pale green leggings with a filmy,  flowing short top in shades of lavender and pink with a green scarf around her neck.  She says she keeps her curls cut short to keep them bouncy.  However,  most think it is to keep her hair from getting tangled in the brambles which she so loves to climb.  The only change was a pair of strappy high-heeled sandals. 

“So,  how easy is it to wear those anyway?” Aerrvin added,  with a nod to her shoes. 

“As easy as dancing,” Jaera replied with a twirl. 

Approaching the front door,  Aerrvin noted it was 7:15; they were hoping it was fashionably late,  but not too late considering they were the guests of honor. 

“Here we go,” Aerrvin murmured. 

“You sound nervous,  my friend,” Gareth said with a grin. 

“Have you tried to woo a wife?” Aerrvin asked, pointedly looking at Jaera’s backside and then at Gareth as she rang the doorbell. 

“Touché,” Gareth replied with a lopsided frown.  He was considering Jaera,  but like all Fairies making up his mind was hard,  still �" she was his first choice. 

Jill answered the door.  “Yay! You’re here! I’m so glad you came.  Let me introduce you…”

Quickly scanning the room,  Aerrvin was impressed with the style and décor.  Upon entering the house there were two coat closets left and right,  then the rooms opened up to either side.  On the left was obviously a study/library with a rich brown leather sofa and two matching chairs.  Deep red curtains and pillows complemented both the leather and the deep blue carpet.  Categorically cozy,  thought Aerrvin.  On the right and on into the main hall,  which should have been a dining room,  the beautiful cherry wood floors shone as with great care. 

“Brownies live here-- definitely,” he mused softly. 

“Aye,” answered Seamus in his ear. 

The living room to the right was pale and soft in contrast to the study.  Guests sat on and around the pale lavender couches,  some were on the rectangle of angora between the wrap around sectional.  Jealously,  Aerrvin noted a few were idly caressing the tactile silk and velvet pillows.  The deep purple of the pillows accented the couches nicely.  The mantle stood out on the western wall as the main feature of the room,  marred somewhat by the large screen TV mounted above it. 

In the northwest corner,  sat a curious chair of obvious antiquity,  it had a grand high back�" suitable for royalty.  The cushioned seat and back were a beautiful shade of pale yellow,  tufted with lavender buttons.  No one was sitting in it,  and the desire to sit in something so delightful made Aerrvin itch! Wriggling his back,  he continued his quick perusal of the room. 

Near the fanciful chair sat a long buffet table,  placed under the front windows and piled high with tempting treats.  He had been sure to let Jill know that neither he,  nor his friends,  ate red meat.  In the last corner sat a pile of large red,  blue and purple pillows suitable for lounging on. 

Still no sight of Mara.  Masking his disappointment,  Aerrvin pleasantly greeted his neighbors as Jill introduced him to those in the room; then she quickly excused herself to answer the door again.  With one regretful look at the chair,  Aerrvin took the proffered pillow from Gareth,  and then joined him and Jaera on the floor in front of the other guests. 

“We’ll get you something to eat,” said a blonde girl. 

Grabbing her friend before Aerrvin could reply,  she sashayed to the table to pile a few plates with finger foods.  Before she got back a guy she had been talking to offered to get beers for the group. 

“No,  thanks,  water or milk for me,” Gareth replied melodiously. 

Raising her eyebrows,  another girl went to the kitchen to inform Jill,  while Jaera jumped up and retrieved two lemon-lime sodas for herself and Aerrvin.  Soda does not really affect Fairies the way alcohol affects Humans,  but it is very addicting and induces cheer nonetheless.  Gareth thought it affected his voice and rarely drank it.  On the other hand,  Jaera could not seem to get enough. 

The blonde and her friend returned with three plates and sat down on the floor beside Gareth and Aerrvin.  “Here you are,  sorry it looks like it is mostly fruit and bread tonight.  Jill always makes great stuff though,” Blondie said,  as she picked up a fruit kabob. 

“No problem,  looks like she made all my favorites,” Aerrvin replied,  glancing over to see Gareth brush hands with the girl bringing him ice water. 

“Sorry,  no milk,” she said,  biting her lip sweetly. 

Attracting attention is never a problem for Fair Ones.  Making friends is as easy as drinking water and dancing.  The problem for Aerrvin was being able to commit.  He thought he really would like to get to know Mara,  she did seem like someone he could enjoy spending nine hundred or so years with�" but all of the girls and half of the guys in the room were thinking about him.  Maybe not all were eager to know him,  some were jealous obviously.  Nevertheless,  using the ware spell definitely heightened his understanding of the strength of the attraction he was causing. 

Not that he really needed to have the spell to know the effect; The Fair Ones’ sense of hearing and smell is superior to Humans.  With focus,  he could hear the blonde girl’s heartbeat and quickened breath,  her sense of longing tantalized him. 

With a wry smile he asked,  “What was your name? I was not paying attention during the introductions.”

With a toothy smile of her own she replied,  “Bonnie,  Bonnie Grant.  I live one house down from you,  I think.  You are staying in the Victorian on the corner,  right?”

Aerrvin nodded,  her green eyes reminded him of home,  a soft heather really.  He had to remind himself to stay in the moment,  as with most Fair Ones he had an ability to focus on a single aspect and admire it with minute detail.  He noticed as Jill went out the back door…Bonnie babbled on about her classes at college.

***

“Mara,  you are being ridiculous!” Jill scolded,  “You can’t hide out here all night.  It‘s not like he thinks poorly of you for misunderstanding his status.  Who would have thought a twenty-something guy owned a business?”

“I know it’s just that�" I don’t know.  He’s so cute he makes me nervous.”

“Alright stay here and take your pictures.  I’m going to be sending people out to dance; it’ll give you a few people to shoot.”  Jill said,  and then added,  “Doesn’t look like you’re getting much wind though.”

Mara knew she was being silly,  “But I really need to get these pictures.  Let’s see…”

Raising her voice,  she called,  “Hey,  Dougie I need to get a few pictures for my class.  Can you come and pose for me?”

Dougie was not really model material by any stretch,  but his craggy face did have a wind etched look to it.  Probably all the sailing he did on the weekends.  Mara posed him on the garden bench after he had ensured his sound system was set the way he wanted it,  for the umpteenth time-- What was that about turn it on and forget it? Mara thought with a wry smile.  The back fence was truly weathered and the flowering vines were just beginning to bloom.  The sun was twenty minutes or so before setting making the light ideal for great shadows.  “That’s perfect Dougie!  Try not to smile,  great.”

“My turn,  my turn!” claimed two fellow students from college.  Jill had tried to get Mara to go out on the town with them,  but Mara always had an excuse. 

“Okay,  let me think,” Mara answered.  “Oh,  and thanks Dougie you were great.” He nodded his shaggy head and returned to the house. 

Turning to face the guys she said,  “I’m taking pictures showing the effects of wind in the city.  I really can’t take many pictures until the wind picks up.”

“How about we get a fan?”  Joe quipped. 

“I thought about that,  but then I thought it would be cheating,  the pictures will mean more to me if they are authentic.”

 More people spilled out of the house to dance and enjoy the evening before it got too cold.  A gentle breeze picked up the curtains on the gazebo,  just as Mara noticed Bonnie dancing with Aerrvin. 

In irritation she turned back to Joe and ordered,  “Get a girl with long flowing hair,  I need an amazing shot before the wind dies and the sun sets!”

“Yes ma’am!” Joe snapped back with a smile. 

In the meantime,  Mara took several shots of the curtains dancing with the music.  The sun was turning from yellow to gold,  causing the entire gazebo to appear to be on fire or made of glowing gold.  Time seemed to stand still when Mara became engrossed in her art. 

“Fantastic,” she breathed. 

“It is,” said that familiar smooth voice.  “What are you doing anyway? I mean why are you always taking photographs?” Aerrvin asked,  truly curious. 

Still taking pictures Mara replied,  “I have a final project coming up in photography.  I need to get these shots before the wind dies.”

Joe returned with Bonnie,  the only girl at the party with waist length hair. 

Inwardly smiling to herself,  she directed them to the center of the gazebo and asked them to pretend they were slow dancing,  even though currently hip-hop was pouring from the speakers.  Amazingly,  the wind was perfect,  the curtains billowed and Bonnie’s pale blond hair shone gold as the sun settled to orange.  The gentle breeze lifted her hair higher than it seemed it should; the shot was brilliant. 

Mara could not contain her joy,  “That is so awesomely great!”  she shouted. 

Hearing a chuckle,  she remembered Aerrvin was still standing behind her,  she turned to look at him and saw the most beautiful sunset ever; the clouds now covered half the sky and the colors were brilliant oranges,  pinks,  and purples.  Aerrvin’s silhouette against the light -entranced Mara,  facing the sunset with his shoulder length hair flowing away from his face,  she continued snapping pictures.  When he turned to face her,  she stopped. 

“Oops! Sorry,  couldn’t help myself,” Mara explained as her face warmed.  Boldly she asked,  “Would you mind standing in the gazebo,  so I can get a few more pictures? I would like to go around to the other side so I can get you and the curtains in the sunset.  Please?”

Calmly looking down at her,  he inclined his head and replied,  “Not a problem,  as long as I get to watch the sunset.” Really he was trying to comprehend her,  but he maintained a cool façade. 

The Fairy prince thought about how utterly delighful she was as she freely snapped her pictures and enjoyed her passion.  His command of the breeze ensured he looked lovely,  he knew.  Vainly he warmed at the thought of her capturing his beauty.  Soon all thoughts ceased as he allowed his love of the setting sun to take precedence.

Aerrvin stayed in the center the entire time it took for the sun to set completely,  the wind billowed the curtains in and out creating what Mara was sure were her grade A photos. 

“Aerrvin,” Seamus said in his ear,  “would ye mind if I slipped down and visited with the Brownies? I am sure I can learn quite a bit about yer bride to be.”

“Sure,  and I’ll even make you visible again,  I can see that Brownie lass under the fern there is rather fetching.  For a Brownie,” he amended with a mischievous twitch. 

Just so you know �" Brownies do not have the power to change their size or visibilty.  All changes must be performed by those whom they serve,  or not,  and can only be undone by the one who wrought the magic on them.  Some Brownies can,  of course,  transform into animals,  bugs,  and objects.  Myself included.

Mara was secretly pleased to see that Aerrvin was talking to himself.  “So I’m not the only one.”

Soon it was fully dusk; the sun was no longer visible,  just a pale pink glow remained,  fading to purple.  With a delighted laugh Jaera grabbed Gareth and began delicately dancing about the yard,  Gareth was pretty lithe himself,  it appeared to be some type of Irish jig,  yet nothing Mara had ever seen. 

Soon they had everyone laughing and trying to copy their steps.  Dougie turned on the colored lights,  but after the spectacular sunset,  it just didn’t compare.  Mara took a few shots just to make the effort of putting them up worth it,  and then decided to stop taking pictures for the night. 

Gathering her courage,  she spoke to Aerrvin,  “Thank you,  you don’t need to stand there all night.”

“It’s quite all right; I can stand for hours watching a sunset.” Sitting down on the built in bench he motioned for her to join him.  The wind died down,  the curtains blurred the view of the dancing and softened the lights. 

“So,  tell me about yourself,” interrupting as she started to speak,  he asked,  “Do you always host parties and then stay away from your guests?”

Flabbergasted,  she didn’t know whether to be embarrassed or angry. 

“Well I have never…” she began,  before she could complete her sentence,  he took her hand and apologized.  She noted he stroked it,  softly running his thumb across the back of her hand. 

“I am sorry,  that came out rudely.  Really,  just�" tell me about yourself.”

Using her hands to express herself she exclaimed,  “Well,  you don’t just come up to people and say: Tell me about your self.  What am I supposed to say? I am in my last year of school; I work at the Safe Haven Retirement Center four days a week.  I have a mom,  a step-dad,  a step-brother and two half-sisters!”

She looked questioningly at him and charged,  “Tell me about your self.”

Smiling at her while pulling on his braid,  Aerrvin answered,  “You are right,  you already know I own a craft store and hail from Ireland.  Ah,  here’s something! I have a mom,  a dad and one annoying baby sister.  Not much to say.  Come on,  the night is young.  Will you dance with me?”

***

Leaving the gazebo a few songs later,  Mara realized it was getting quite cool.  Jaera and the others were relatively calm again.  Getting drunk was strictly forbidden,  she had kicked out guests before,  and some never got invited back,  not that they cared. 

“Oh,  I forgot my camera…” she started and then stopped as Aerrvin held out the strap to her. 

Inside she realized it was 9:30 already.  Maybe it was a little more than a few songs later.  Even so it was still early as far as parties go.  In the living room,  Jill was starting a game of charades,  and in the study,  Dougie and a group of friends were looking at videos on-line. 

 “Hey,  that’s my new computer guys,  don’t break it.” Mara called. 

Mara realized she was hungry,  she had not eaten since tasting one of Jill’s mini quiches right out of the oven at 5 o’clock,  and she had missed lunch altogether. 

Suddenly Jaera was standing there with a plate of fruit and pastries,  “Hungry?”

“Why yes,  I am famished.” Mara gratefully accepted a plate and went into the living room to watch the charades.  Most of the pillows were taken,  so she went to her favorite chair and carefully balanced the plate on her knees.  Realizing that it left Jaera and Aerrvin without a seat she started to get up. 

Gathering the free pillows Aerrvin said,  “That’s alright,  I’ve always enjoyed sitting at the feet of a pretty woman.”

He flashed a twisted grin.  Jaera groaned and pinned him to the ground and tousled his hair.  The display was rather intimate,  causing more than one raised eyebrow. 

“Um,  I have not had a chance to talk with you Jaera.  Are you Aerrvin’s little sister he was telling me about?”

Just then,  Gareth came in,  gracefully plopping down in between Jaera and Aerrvin,  stealing one of Aerrvin’s pillows.  “Not even close,” he announced.  This set off another wrestling match,  ending with Jaera on top pummeling his chest with her tiny fist,  while he laughed uproariously. 

“Sorry,  I give,  I give!” he exclaimed,  earning his release.  He sat up to straighten his midnight black hair,  a gentle shake and it silkily fell into place around his shoulders. 

Mara was obviously not used to such roughhousing,  especially among twenty something’s. 

Aerrvin reached over to Mara’s plate and took a carrot,  handing it to Jaera he said,  “No more soda.”

“Yes,  Father,” she replied,  and then looking at Mara she piped,  “No,  he’s not my father either.  We grew up together and Gareth is his cousin; I am Gareth’s best friend,  so where he goes,  I go.”

Gareth reached over and tugged one of her curls,  “Well said.”

Meanwhile,  Seamus had come back,  having waited behind a flowerpot until noticed,  and then returned to transparency.  Once back on Aerrvin’s shoulder,  he quickly informed Aerrvin about the darkroom in the basement. 

Addressing Mara,  Aerrvin said,  “We will have you over one of these days so we can get to know each other better,  but for now,  I think I would like to see your darkroom.” It was stilted and a near princely command,  but at least he had refrained from ‘shall and should’ not an easy task to remember for the Prince. 

“How did you know I had a darkroom?” Mara exclaimed. 

“I carried your supplies this afternoon,  remember?” A half smile twitched his expressive lips. 

Aerrvin handed her a bottled water before she knew she was thirsty,  gratefully she drank it half-empty before saying,  “Yes,  that’s right.  I have had such a busy day! I can’t remember half of it.  Sure you can have a tour,” she replied,  inviting all three. 

Jaera and Gareth declined,  “No thanks,” Gareth said,  “I want to have a look at your computer,  I think I am going to need to get one myself.” He did fit right in; most of Dougie's friends were dressed in flannel too. 

Jaera thought Pictionary looked fun,  so she went and sat on the nearest empty lap,  earning sour looks from the girls sitting nearby.  The drizzle had changed to an all out downpour; Dougie and Jake were bringing in the sound system as Mara and Aerrvin walked by.  Dougie gave her a polite nod. 

Jill was in the kitchen cleaning up; she gave Mara a “thumbs up” and a grin,  as Mara motioned Aerrvin down the basement stairs.  Mara couldn’t remember the last time she had felt so out of control.  Her heart was speeding,  and she blushed at the drop of a hat.  Probably her senior prom.  Had she really thought Gerry Fink was all that?

“Not even half,” Mara murmured. 

“What was that?” Aerrvin asked. 

“Oh,  not even half of the basement is complete,  I’ve been remodeling.  The house was built in 1890 and has a remarkably large basement considering its age.”

Two of the walls revealed the basement/foundation made of river rock and mortar.  The room was large enough for a game room,  but Mara did not care for pool or ping-pong.  Wires hung along the walls,  where photos were attached with clothespins.  The room was bright and clean,  with two counters for folding clothes and pantry shelves beneath,  where Jill kept extra foodstuffs. 

Embarrassingly to Mara,  there were also two baskets of unfinished laundry,  one washed and one not.  While Aerrvin studied the photos,  she hastily emptied the washer and started the new load. 

“Okay,  so this over here is my studio and dark room,” she said as she waved to the remainder of the basement.  Antique chairs,  tables,  and settees littered the corner as well as several storage trunks and boxes.  To the left,  was the door to the darkroom.  It was 10x10 �" originally  built for wine storage.  While Mara certainly used digital,  she preferred the old-fashioned way of creating pictures. 

“It is rather large for a darkroom,  but it was already here.  So,  I kept it as it was and simply added counters and such.” Mara explained. 

While developer does not necessarily,  smell good or bad Mara always breathed it in deeply when first entering the room,  she associated the odor with the magic of watching pictures emerge,  it always gave her a thrill. 

Watching Mara’s excitement gave Aerrvin a thrill.  She really loved photography.  Rarely had he come across a Human who had such passion and excitement for artistic endeavors.  Her pictures were truly remarkable.  In the red glow,  he picked up one of himself and Gareth moving boxes into their store,  they were each wearing khakis and t-shirts.  Gareth was saying something to Aerrvin.  She had captured his mischievous grin,  which he had practiced fifty years to perfect,  mind you. 

“You truly take magnificent pictures,” he said jauntily with a wicked grin.  “Can I have this copy?”

 Mara found she was caught off guard again; Aerrvin always looked as though he were posing for a picture.  How could such a perfect being be interested in me? Shaking her head to clear her thoughts,  she replied,  “Ah�"Yeah,  yes sure.  Please take any of these that you want.  I’ve got one of Jaera which she might like too.”

“So,  show me how you develop a picture.” Aerrvin turned his attention to the counter while brushing up against her with seeming casualness. 

Mara forgot to be self-conscious as she efficiently taught him everything she knew.  She even laughed at his jokes instead of blushing.  As they came out of the darkroom,  Jill was coming downstairs with dirty tablecloths and dishtowels.  “Hey you two,  it’s after 11:00.  Not really so late,  but most people have left and Jaera has fallen asleep.”

Heading for the stairs Aerrvin commented,  “Poor Jae,  she has not slept these past few weeks.  I guess it’s catching up to her.”

It may interest you to know,  Fairies and Elves and such do not need to sleep as often as Humans; they can go weeks without sleep,  and then they can sleep for days on end and be eager to go again.  We Brownies are more sensible,  we make sure we get our five hours of sleep every morning,  whether we need it or not!

Upon entering the living room,  Mara found Jaera was indeed asleep,  curled up on Kevin’s lap.  He did not look like he was too upset about it,  but when he saw them he said,  “It’s about time you got here! I think my arm has fallen asleep!”

Just then,  the phone rang,  wondering who would be calling so late Mara answered it.  Bronwyn was on the line saying a he was in the car waiting outside.  Not that they needed a car,  Bronwyn just liked to drive. 

“Okay,  bye.” Turning to Aerrvin she relayed the message,  of course he had already heard and was waking Jaera up,  or trying to anyway.  Once a Fairy crashes,  it takes a lot to get them up and running. 

“Jaera? Can you get up? Oh never mind,  Gareth you take her,  I’ll get the door.” Gareth relieved Kevin of his burden and held her in the crook of his arm like a wee babe,  as he gave Jill and then Mara a hug with the other,  “Thanks for the welcome party.  I had fun…”

Turning to another neighbor,  he said with a tired smile,  “…loved the dancing.” 

Outside,  a sleek grey car with a black roof waited.  The driver got out,  opened the back passenger door for Gareth and Jaera,  and then stood waiting for Aerrvin. 

Aerrvin hugged Jill,  thanking her and praising her culinary skills; then he hugged Mara and kissed her cheek. 

“Thank you for the delightful company.” His eyes lingered a moment and she felt her cheeks grow warm. 

The final partygoers said their goodbyes and left. 

“Yes!” Jill screamed,  “I finally did it.  I knew I could find someone to interest you!” She hugged and danced Mara around the room. 

Mara smiled in return and replied,  “I guess you do know what you are doing,  it only took you three years!” With a sarcastic twist to her face,  she hugged Jill back. 

***

With a sigh,  she straightened up the pillows in both front rooms.  Jill always took care of the kitchen.  The left over party food could wait; they would finish cleaning up in the morning.  Mara always tried to avoid seeing how much food was leftover,  because in the morning it never matched up with her memory. 

“Best not to think on it.”

Once upstairs she called out,  “Good night,  Jill.”

Mara yawned as she closed the door to her room.  She thought about how she was always particularly neat,  because she did not want to cause extra work for the Brownies. 

“Not that I really believe in them,” she said to herself as she reached for her toothbrush.  Ever since she met a Brownie,  whom she named Sylvie when she was three years old,  she had learned to put things back in their place and always cleaned thoroughly every Saturday.  She hadn’t spoken with Sylvie since she was five,  so now of course,  she didn’t really think it had happened. 

“Just fairytales,” she told herself as she pulled on a cotton nightgown.  Then she flipped off the light and climbed into bed. 

Her window let out to the back yard where the lights from the gazebo had been left on,  a soft glow shone on her windowsill.  Smiling she remembered dancing in the gentle breeze of the gazebo… Falling asleep with her eyes open,  she saw a tiny figure climb into the window. 

“Sylvie,” she breathed as her eyes slid shut. 

 

 

Mara’s townhouse was right in the center of the block,  seven houses down from the Victorian mansion Aerrvin had rented.  The walk was pleasant,  it was not raining,  yet clouds could be seen to the west.  Aerrvin could tell it was going to be a fantastic sunset.  He rarely missed them; dusk was his favorite time of the day. 

As you may know,  cold temperatures do not affect magical beings much,  but the warmth of the sun is most assuredly enjoyed. 

It was sixty-nine degrees and calm,  except around Aerrvin who always brought a bit of a breeze with him wherever he went. 

“Jaera,  I think your Fairy Dust is on a little bit strong,” Aerrvin commented with a slight wave,  blowing free a smattering of sparkles.  “You don’t need much to garner attention among college students,” he admonished,  looking over her attire. 

Jaera was a short five-foot,  fire-haired,  freckle-faced imp of a girl.  She was able to get away with wearing her regular attire; pale green leggings with a filmy,  flowing short top in shades of lavender and pink with a green scarf around her neck.  She says she keeps her curls cut short to keep them bouncy.  However,  most think it is to keep her hair from getting tangled in the brambles which she so loves to climb.  The only change was a pair of strappy high-heeled sandals. 

“So,  how easy is it to wear those anyway?” Aerrvin added,  with a nod to her shoes. 

“As easy as dancing,” Jaera replied with a twirl. 

Approaching the front door,  Aerrvin noted it was 7:15; they were hoping it was fashionably late,  but not too late considering they were the guests of honor. 

“Here we go,” Aerrvin murmured. 

“You sound nervous,  my friend,” Gareth said with a grin. 

“Have you tried to woo a wife?” Aerrvin asked, pointedly looking at Jaera’s backside and then at Gareth as she rang the doorbell. 

“Touché,” Gareth replied with a lopsided frown.  He was considering Jaera,  but like all Fairies making up his mind was hard,  still �" she was his first choice. 

Jill answered the door.  “Yay! You’re here! I’m so glad you came.  Let me introduce you…”

Quickly scanning the room,  Aerrvin was impressed with the style and décor.  Upon entering the house there were two coat closets left and right,  then the rooms opened up to either side.  On the left was obviously a study/library with a rich brown leather sofa and two matching chairs.  Deep red curtains and pillows complemented both the leather and the deep blue carpet.  Categorically cozy,  thought Aerrvin.  On the right and on into the main hall,  which should have been a dining room,  the beautiful cherry wood floors shone as with great care. 

“Brownies live here-- definitely,” he mused softly. 

“Aye,” answered Seamus in his ear. 

The living room to the right was pale and soft in contrast to the study.  Guests sat on and around the pale lavender couches,  some were on the rectangle of angora between the wrap around sectional.  Jealously,  Aerrvin noted a few were idly caressing the tactile silk and velvet pillows.  The deep purple of the pillows accented the couches nicely.  The mantle stood out on the western wall as the main feature of the room,  marred somewhat by the large screen TV mounted above it. 

In the northwest corner,  sat a curious chair of obvious antiquity,  it had a grand high back�" suitable for royalty.  The cushioned seat and back were a beautiful shade of pale yellow,  tufted with lavender buttons.  No one was sitting in it,  and the desire to sit in something so delightful made Aerrvin itch! Wriggling his back,  he continued his quick perusal of the room. 

Near the fanciful chair sat a long buffet table,  placed under the front windows and piled high with tempting treats.  He had been sure to let Jill know that neither he,  nor his friends,  ate red meat.  In the last corner sat a pile of large red,  blue and purple pillows suitable for lounging on. 

Still no sight of Mara.  Masking his disappointment,  Aerrvin pleasantly greeted his neighbors as Jill introduced him to those in the room; then she quickly excused herself to answer the door again.  With one regretful look at the chair,  Aerrvin took the proffered pillow from Gareth,  and then joined him and Jaera on the floor in front of the other guests. 

“We’ll get you something to eat,” said a blonde girl. 

Grabbing her friend before Aerrvin could reply,  she sashayed to the table to pile a few plates with finger foods.  Before she got back a guy she had been talking to offered to get beers for the group. 

“No,  thanks,  water or milk for me,” Gareth replied melodiously. 

Raising her eyebrows,  another girl went to the kitchen to inform Jill,  while Jaera jumped up and retrieved two lemon-lime sodas for herself and Aerrvin.  Soda does not really affect Fairies the way alcohol affects Humans,  but it is very addicting and induces cheer nonetheless.  Gareth thought it affected his voice and rarely drank it.  On the other hand,  Jaera could not seem to get enough. 

The blonde and her friend returned with three plates and sat down on the floor beside Gareth and Aerrvin.  “Here you are,  sorry it looks like it is mostly fruit and bread tonight.  Jill always makes great stuff though,” Blondie said,  as she picked up a fruit kabob. 

“No problem,  looks like she made all my favorites,” Aerrvin replied,  glancing over to see Gareth brush hands with the girl bringing him ice water. 

“Sorry,  no milk,” she said,  biting her lip sweetly. 

Attracting attention is never a problem for Fair Ones.  Making friends is as easy as drinking water and dancing.  The problem for Aerrvin was being able to commit.  He thought he really would like to get to know Mara,  she did seem like someone he could enjoy spending nine hundred or so years with�" but all of the girls and half of the guys in the room were thinking about him.  Maybe not all were eager to know him,  some were jealous obviously.  Nevertheless,  using the ware spell definitely heightened his understanding of the strength of the attraction he was causing. 

Not that he really needed to have the spell to know the effect; The Fair Ones’ sense of hearing and smell is superior to Humans.  With focus,  he could hear the blonde girl’s heartbeat and quickened breath,  her sense of longing tantalized him. 

With a wry smile he asked,  “What was your name? I was not paying attention during the introductions.”

With a toothy smile of her own she replied,  “Bonnie,  Bonnie Grant.  I live one house down from you,  I think.  You are staying in the Victorian on the corner,  right?”

Aerrvin nodded,  her green eyes reminded him of home,  a soft heather really.  He had to remind himself to stay in the moment,  as with most Fair Ones he had an ability to focus on a single aspect and admire it with minute detail.  He noticed as Jill went out the back door…Bonnie babbled on about her classes at college.

***

“Mara,  you are being ridiculous!” Jill scolded,  “You can’t hide out here all night.  It‘s not like he thinks poorly of you for misunderstanding his status.  Who would have thought a twenty-something guy owned a business?”

“I know it’s just that�" I don’t know.  He’s so cute he makes me nervous.”

“Alright stay here and take your pictures.  I’m going to be sending people out to dance; it’ll give you a few people to shoot.”  Jill said,  and then added,  “Doesn’t look like you’re getting much wind though.”

Mara knew she was being silly,  “But I really need to get these pictures.  Let’s see…”

Raising her voice,  she called,  “Hey,  Dougie I need to get a few pictures for my class.  Can you come and pose for me?”

Dougie was not really model material by any stretch,  but his craggy face did have a wind etched look to it.  Probably all the sailing he did on the weekends.  Mara posed him on the garden bench after he had ensured his sound system was set the way he wanted it,  for the umpteenth time-- What was that about turn it on and forget it? Mara thought with a wry smile.  The back fence was truly weathered and the flowering vines were just beginning to bloom.  The sun was twenty minutes or so before setting making the light ideal for great shadows.  “That’s perfect Dougie!  Try not to smile,  great.”

“My turn,  my turn!” claimed two fellow students from college.  Jill had tried to get Mara to go out on the town with them,  but Mara always had an excuse. 

“Okay,  let me think,” Mara answered.  “Oh,  and thanks Dougie you were great.” He nodded his shaggy head and returned to the house. 

Turning to face the guys she said,  “I’m taking pictures showing the effects of wind in the city.  I really can’t take many pictures until the wind picks up.”

“How about we get a fan?”  Joe quipped. 

“I thought about that,  but then I thought it would be cheating,  the pictures will mean more to me if they are authentic.”

 More people spilled out of the house to dance and enjoy the evening before it got too cold.  A gentle breeze picked up the curtains on the gazebo,  just as Mara noticed Bonnie dancing with Aerrvin. 

In irritation she turned back to Joe and ordered,  “Get a girl with long flowing hair,  I need an amazing shot before the wind dies and the sun sets!”

“Yes ma’am!” Joe snapped back with a smile. 

In the meantime,  Mara took several shots of the curtains dancing with the music.  The sun was turning from yellow to gold,  causing the entire gazebo to appear to be on fire or made of glowing gold.  Time seemed to stand still when Mara became engrossed in her art. 

“Fantastic,” she breathed. 

“It is,” said that familiar smooth voice.  “What are you doing anyway? I mean why are you always taking photographs?” Aerrvin asked,  truly curious. 

Still taking pictures Mara replied,  “I have a final project coming up in photography.  I need to get these shots before the wind dies.”

Joe returned with Bonnie,  the only girl at the party with waist length hair. 

Inwardly smiling to herself,  she directed them to the center of the gazebo and asked them to pretend they were slow dancing,  even though currently hip-hop was pouring from the speakers.  Amazingly,  the wind was perfect,  the curtains billowed and Bonnie’s pale blond hair shone gold as the sun settled to orange.  The gentle breeze lifted her hair higher than it seemed it should; the shot was brilliant. 

Mara could not contain her joy,  “That is so awesomely great!”  she shouted. 

Hearing a chuckle,  she remembered Aerrvin was still standing behind her,  she turned to look at him and saw the most beautiful sunset ever; the clouds now covered half the sky and the colors were brilliant oranges,  pinks,  and purples.  Aerrvin’s silhouette against the light -entranced Mara,  facing the sunset with his shoulder length hair flowing away from his face,  she continued snapping pictures.  When he turned to face her,  she stopped. 

“Oops! Sorry,  couldn’t help myself,” Mara explained as her face warmed.  Boldly she asked,  “Would you mind standing in the gazebo,  so I can get a few more pictures? I would like to go around to the other side so I can get you and the curtains in the sunset.  Please?”

Calmly looking down at her,  he inclined his head and replied,  “Not a problem,  as long as I get to watch the sunset.” Really he was trying to comprehend her,  but he maintained a cool façade. 

The Fairy prince thought about how utterly delighful she was as she freely snapped her pictures and enjoyed her passion.  His command of the breeze ensured he looked lovely,  he knew.  Vainly he warmed at the thought of her capturing his beauty.  Soon all thoughts ceased as he allowed his love of the setting sun to take precedence.

Aerrvin stayed in the center the entire time it took for the sun to set completely,  the wind billowed the curtains in and out creating what Mara was sure were her grade A photos. 

“Aerrvin,” Seamus said in his ear,  “would ye mind if I slipped down and visited with the Brownies? I am sure I can learn quite a bit about yer bride to be.”

“Sure,  and I’ll even make you visible again,  I can see that Brownie lass under the fern there is rather fetching.  For a Brownie,” he amended with a mischievous twitch. 

Just so you know �" Brownies do not have the power to change their size or visibilty.  All changes must be performed by those whom they serve,  or not,  and can only be undone by the one who wrought the magic on them.  Some Brownies can,  of course,  transform into animals,  bugs,  and objects.  Myself included.

Mara was secretly pleased to see that Aerrvin was talking to himself.  “So I’m not the only one.”

Soon it was fully dusk; the sun was no longer visible,  just a pale pink glow remained,  fading to purple.  With a delighted laugh Jaera grabbed Gareth and began delicately dancing about the yard,  Gareth was pretty lithe himself,  it appeared to be some type of Irish jig,  yet nothing Mara had ever seen. 

Soon they had everyone laughing and trying to copy their steps.  Dougie turned on the colored lights,  but after the spectacular sunset,  it just didn’t compare.  Mara took a few shots just to make the effort of putting them up worth it,  and then decided to stop taking pictures for the night. 

Gathering her courage,  she spoke to Aerrvin,  “Thank you,  you don’t need to stand there all night.”

“It’s quite all right; I can stand for hours watching a sunset.” Sitting down on the built in bench he motioned for her to join him.  The wind died down,  the curtains blurred the view of the dancing and softened the lights. 

“So,  tell me about yourself,” interrupting as she started to speak,  he asked,  “Do you always host parties and then stay away from your guests?”

Flabbergasted,  she didn’t know whether to be embarrassed or angry. 

“Well I have never…” she began,  before she could complete her sentence,  he took her hand and apologized.  She noted he stroked it,  softly running his thumb across the back of her hand. 

“I am sorry,  that came out rudely.  Really,  just�" tell me about yourself.”

Using her hands to express herself she exclaimed,  “Well,  you don’t just come up to people and say: Tell me about your self.  What am I supposed to say? I am in my last year of school; I work at the Safe Haven Retirement Center four days a week.  I have a mom,  a step-dad,  a step-brother and two half-sisters!”

She looked questioningly at him and charged,  “Tell me about your self.”

Smiling at her while pulling on his braid,  Aerrvin answered,  “You are right,  you already know I own a craft store and hail from Ireland.  Ah,  here’s something! I have a mom,  a dad and one annoying baby sister.  Not much to say.  Come on,  the night is young.  Will you dance with me?”

***

Leaving the gazebo a few songs later,  Mara realized it was getting quite cool.  Jaera and the others were relatively calm again.  Getting drunk was strictly forbidden,  she had kicked out guests before,  and some never got invited back,  not that they cared. 

“Oh,  I forgot my camera…” she started and then stopped as Aerrvin held out the strap to her. 

Inside she realized it was 9:30 already.  Maybe it was a little more than a few songs later.  Even so it was still early as far as parties go.  In the living room,  Jill was starting a game of charades,  and in the study,  Dougie and a group of friends were looking at videos on-line. 

 “Hey,  that’s my new computer guys,  don’t break it.” Mara called. 

Mara realized she was hungry,  she had not eaten since tasting one of Jill’s mini quiches right out of the oven at 5 o’clock,  and she had missed lunch altogether. 

Suddenly Jaera was standing there with a plate of fruit and pastries,  “Hungry?”

“Why yes,  I am famished.” Mara gratefully accepted a plate and went into the living room to watch the charades.  Most of the pillows were taken,  so she went to her favorite chair and carefully balanced the plate on her knees.  Realizing that it left Jaera and Aerrvin without a seat she started to get up. 

Gathering the free pillows Aerrvin said,  “That’s alright,  I’ve always enjoyed sitting at the feet of a pretty woman.”

He flashed a twisted grin.  Jaera groaned and pinned him to the ground and tousled his hair.  The display was rather intimate,  causing more than one raised eyebrow. 

“Um,  I have not had a chance to talk with you Jaera.  Are you Aerrvin’s little sister he was telling me about?”

Just then,  Gareth came in,  gracefully plopping down in between Jaera and Aerrvin,  stealing one of Aerrvin’s pillows.  “Not even close,” he announced.  This set off another wrestling match,  ending with Jaera on top pummeling his chest with her tiny fist,  while he laughed uproariously. 

“Sorry,  I give,  I give!” he exclaimed,  earning his release.  He sat up to straighten his midnight black hair,  a gentle shake and it silkily fell into place around his shoulders. 

Mara was obviously not used to such roughhousing,  especially among twenty something’s. 

Aerrvin reached over to Mara’s plate and took a carrot,  handing it to Jaera he said,  “No more soda.”

“Yes,  Father,” she replied,  and then looking at Mara she piped,  “No,  he’s not my father either.  We grew up together and Gareth is his cousin; I am Gareth’s best friend,  so where he goes,  I go.”

Gareth reached over and tugged one of her curls,  “Well said.”

Meanwhile,  Seamus had come back,  having waited behind a flowerpot until noticed,  and then returned to transparency.  Once back on Aerrvin’s shoulder,  he quickly informed Aerrvin about the darkroom in the basement. 

Addressing Mara,  Aerrvin said,  “We will have you over one of these days so we can get to know each other better,  but for now,  I think I would like to see your darkroom.” It was stilted and a near princely command,  but at least he had refrained from ‘shall and should’ not an easy task to remember for the Prince. 

“How did you know I had a darkroom?” Mara exclaimed. 

“I carried your supplies this afternoon,  remember?” A half smile twitched his expressive lips. 

Aerrvin handed her a bottled water before she knew she was thirsty,  gratefully she drank it half-empty before saying,  “Yes,  that’s right.  I have had such a busy day! I can’t remember half of it.  Sure you can have a tour,” she replied,  inviting all three. 

Jaera and Gareth declined,  “No thanks,” Gareth said,  “I want to have a look at your computer,  I think I am going to need to get one myself.” He did fit right in; most of Dougie's friends were dressed in flannel too. 

Jaera thought Pictionary looked fun,  so she went and sat on the nearest empty lap,  earning sour looks from the girls sitting nearby.  The drizzle had changed to an all out downpour; Dougie and Jake were bringing in the sound system as Mara and Aerrvin walked by.  Dougie gave her a polite nod. 

Jill was in the kitchen cleaning up; she gave Mara a “thumbs up” and a grin,  as Mara motioned Aerrvin down the basement stairs.  Mara couldn’t remember the last time she had felt so out of control.  Her heart was speeding,  and she blushed at the drop of a hat.  Probably her senior prom.  Had she really thought Gerry Fink was all that?

“Not even half,” Mara murmured. 

“What was that?” Aerrvin asked. 

“Oh,  not even half of the basement is complete,  I’ve been remodeling.  The house was built in 1890 and has a remarkably large basement considering its age.”

Two of the walls revealed the basement/foundation made of river rock and mortar.  The room was large enough for a game room,  but Mara did not care for pool or ping-pong.  Wires hung along the walls,  where photos were attached with clothespins.  The room was bright and clean,  with two counters for folding clothes and pantry shelves beneath,  where Jill kept extra foodstuffs. 

Embarrassingly to Mara,  there were also two baskets of unfinished laundry,  one washed and one not.  While Aerrvin studied the photos,  she hastily emptied the washer and started the new load. 

“Okay,  so this over here is my studio and dark room,” she said as she waved to the remainder of the basement.  Antique chairs,  tables,  and settees littered the corner as well as several storage trunks and boxes.  To the left,  was the door to the darkroom.  It was 10x10 �" originally  built for wine storage.  While Mara certainly used digital,  she preferred the old-fashioned way of creating pictures. 

“It is rather large for a darkroom,  but it was already here.  So,  I kept it as it was and simply added counters and such.” Mara explained. 

While developer does not necessarily,  smell good or bad Mara always breathed it in deeply when first entering the room,  she associated the odor with the magic of watching pictures emerge,  it always gave her a thrill. 

Watching Mara’s excitement gave Aerrvin a thrill.  She really loved photography.  Rarely had he come across a Human who had such passion and excitement for artistic endeavors.  Her pictures were truly remarkable.  In the red glow,  he picked up one of himself and Gareth moving boxes into their store,  they were each wearing khakis and t-shirts.  Gareth was saying something to Aerrvin.  She had captured his mischievous grin,  which he had practiced fifty years to perfect,  mind you. 

“You truly take magnificent pictures,” he said jauntily with a wicked grin.  “Can I have this copy?”

 Mara found she was caught off guard again; Aerrvin always looked as though he were posing for a picture.  How could such a perfect being be interested in me? Shaking her head to clear her thoughts,  she replied,  “Ah�"Yeah,  yes sure.  Please take any of these that you want.  I’ve got one of Jaera which she might like too.”

“So,  show me how you develop a picture.” Aerrvin turned his attention to the counter while brushing up against her with seeming casualness. 

Mara forgot to be self-conscious as she efficiently taught him everything she knew.  She even laughed at his jokes instead of blushing.  As they came out of the darkroom,  Jill was coming downstairs with dirty tablecloths and dishtowels.  “Hey you two,  it’s after 11:00.  Not really so late,  but most people have left and Jaera has fallen asleep.”

Heading for the stairs Aerrvin commented,  “Poor Jae,  she has not slept these past few weeks.  I guess it’s catching up to her.”

It may interest you to know,  Fairies and Elves and such do not need to sleep as often as Humans; they can go weeks without sleep,  and then they can sleep for days on end and be eager to go again.  We Brownies are more sensible,  we make sure we get our five hours of sleep every morning,  whether we need it or not!

Upon entering the living room,  Mara found Jaera was indeed asleep,  curled up on Kevin’s lap.  He did not look like he was too upset about it,  but when he saw them he said,  “It’s about time you got here! I think my arm has fallen asleep!”

Just then,  the phone rang,  wondering who would be calling so late Mara answered it.  Bronwyn was on the line saying a he was in the car waiting outside.  Not that they needed a car,  Bronwyn just liked to drive. 

“Okay,  bye.” Turning to Aerrvin she relayed the message,  of course he had already heard and was waking Jaera up,  or trying to anyway.  Once a Fairy crashes,  it takes a lot to get them up and running. 

“Jaera? Can you get up? Oh never mind,  Gareth you take her,  I’ll get the door.” Gareth relieved Kevin of his burden and held her in the crook of his arm like a wee babe,  as he gave Jill and then Mara a hug with the other,  “Thanks for the welcome party.  I had fun…”

Turning to another neighbor,  he said with a tired smile,  “…loved the dancing.” 

Outside,  a sleek grey car with a black roof waited.  The driver got out,  opened the back passenger door for Gareth and Jaera,  and then stood waiting for Aerrvin. 

Aerrvin hugged Jill,  thanking her and praising her culinary skills; then he hugged Mara and kissed her cheek. 

“Thank you for the delightful company.” His eyes lingered a moment and she felt her cheeks grow warm. 

The final partygoers said their goodbyes and left. 

“Yes!” Jill screamed,  “I finally did it.  I knew I could find someone to interest you!” She hugged and danced Mara around the room. 

Mara smiled in return and replied,  “I guess you do know what you are doing,  it only took you three years!” With a sarcastic twist to her face,  she hugged Jill back. 

***

With a sigh,  she straightened up the pillows in both front rooms.  Jill always took care of the kitchen.  The left over party food could wait; they would finish cleaning up in the morning.  Mara always tried to avoid seeing how much food was leftover,  because in the morning it never matched up with her memory. 

“Best not to think on it.”

Once upstairs she called out,  “Good night,  Jill.”

Mara yawned as she closed the door to her room.  She thought about how she was always particularly neat,  because she did not want to cause extra work for the Brownies. 

“Not that I really believe in them,” she said to herself as she reached for her toothbrush.  Ever since she met a Brownie,  whom she named Sylvie when she was three years old,  she had learned to put things back in their place and always cleaned thoroughly every Saturday.  She hadn’t spoken with Sylvie since she was five,  so now of course,  she didn’t really think it had happened. 

“Just fairytales,” she told herself as she pulled on a cotton nightgown.  Then she flipped off the light and climbed into bed. 

Her window let out to the back yard where the lights from the gazebo had been left on,  a soft glow shone on her windowsill.  Smiling she remembered dancing in the gentle breeze of the gazebo… Falling asleep with her eyes open,  she saw a tiny figure climb into the window. 

“Sylvie,” she breathed as her eyes slid shut. 



© 2011 M. Kari


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
Added on June 11, 2011
Last Updated on June 11, 2011


Author

M. Kari
M. Kari

WA



About
I love to read and i love to write. I have six novels written in need of good critiques and much editing. I am the mother of eight children and grandma of four. I am a homemaker first and also .. more..

Writing
Inner Light Inner Light

A Poem by M. Kari