Chapter Nine- Tests

Chapter Nine- Tests

A Chapter by MachinaWriter
"

Aeryn goes through the first round of tests to join the famed guild of Arcaeni. But did he possibly bite off more than he can chew?

"

All around, people spoke in a foreign language. At least, that's what it sounded like to Aeryn. A whole group of well dressed men in suits had gathered in a little circle in front of him in line. Each of them spoke with a sophisticated tone that had him convinced these were people that knew what they were talking about. Aeryn edged closer to the group and tried to look as if he wasn't eavesdropping.

            "That's fine and all Albert, but I don't think they're going to care about your father's history. You have to give them a reason to accept you. Now if you could prove the magical theory of connectivity, then maybe you'd be going somewhere." Said one of the men, who stood directly in front of Aeryn with his back to him. Aeryn was currently trying to peek around the man in an attempt to get a look at the rest of the group.

            "Ha! A show of force would get you farther. They're a military branch, after all. Not a school of scholars." This man was either older, or just larger then the others, but Aeryn couldn't get a good look at him past the people in front of him.

            "It looks like we have another ear. Step aside, Marcus, and let the young one in the group." The man who had spoken first, and was still currently blocking Aeryn's view, suddenly turned around with a surprised look on his face. Aeryn smiled awkwardly at the rest of the group, who were now staring at him with bemused expressions.

            "A bit young to be trying out, aren't you?" The one who had just spoken asked. He was a man with dark brown hair and a well trimmed beard. He had a pair of rectangular glasses on a nose that looked like it had been broken on more than one occasion, behind which his eyes twinkled with either amusement or kindness.

            "How old are you?" Asked the man that Aeryn hadn't been sure if he was older or just larger, looking at Aeryn with a smirk on his lips as he spoke. Now that Aeryn could see him, he knew that the man was definitely larger. He stood almost a head taller then the others, with broad shoulders and muscular arms, his head shaved completely, but with a great bushy red beard.

            "Seventeen. I'm seventeen." Aeryn said. He'd expected to have a few odd reactions to his age. He'd known that it was rare for people his age to try out for the Arcaeni. And under different circumstances, he probably would have waited another year or two. But he needed to be in now. No matter the odds against him.

            "Seventeen years old? Do they even let seventeen year olds in the Arcaeni?" One of them asked. There were a few exchanged looks, as evidently none of them knew the answer.

            "There isn't an age minimum to join the Arcaeni. Imperial Law dictates that those joining the Militant must be eighteen years of age, but it says nothing about the Arcaeni." Aeryn said, almost defensively. A little smile crept to the face of the man with the broken nose.

            "What's your name?" He asked. There was a look of mild curiosity in the man's eyes.

            "Aeryn Eldrin."

            "Seventeen years old..." The one who had been blocking Aeryn's view muttered, shaking his head. Suddenly the large man started laughing.

            "I think you're worried your spot might get taken by a boy," the giant said with a chuckle. The man shot a glare towards the red bearded giant.

            "I'm not the one who needs to worry." The conversation was cut short as suddenly a voice called out from the front of the line.

            "Listen up! Listen up!" Everyone silenced, turning to look towards the source of the command. Aeryn craned his neck around the person in front of him. Everyone started gathering in small crowds in front of him to see the person who was speaking.

            "Excuse me...just...trying to look..." More people moved in front of him to see and he took a step back, shoulders slumping in defeat. He shook his head in irritation and suddenly pushed himself into the crowd, straining to hear the man's voice.

            "We're going to count off the next few people! If we don't count you, you're not getting in!" All at once the line suddenly straightened out against the wall. Aeryn suddenly caught sight of the man who had spoken. He was dressed in a uniform that looked similar to that of the Militant, but rather then blue this one was black as coal, with silver lining and buttons down the coat and on the cuffs. The man's hair was neatly groomed and combed, and he analyzed each person with cold, critical eyes as he passed. That's the Arcaeni uniform. Aeryn thought, feeling a chill rush through his bones. He was sure that it was designed to be intimidating, and honestly, it worked.

            The man's lips moved silently as he counted each person he passed. Please make it to me. Please. Make it to me. The man was only three people away now. The large man with the red beard stared forward the entire time, but Aeryn was almost sure he saw his shoulders slump in relief as the man moved on. The Arcaeni paused for only a brief second as he reached Aeryn. He could almost see the man's thoughts, mentally wondering about Aeryn's age. Then he mouthed another number and took another step. Aeryn let out a long held breath. The first step...

            The man counted only fifteen more people before turning around to face the whole line of people.

            “That's it! Everyone else go home!” There was a lot of murmuring from the crowd, but no one complained out loud or objected. Slowly, but surely, those that didn't make it started to leave. “The rest of you inside.” With that, the man left. Everyone in front of Aeryn, and himself included, let out a collective sigh of relief.

            “Its about time. Let's get this over with.” Someone in front of him said and with that they all made their way into the Library. Inside, he barely even had time to take in his surroundings. The Library was just as grand and elegant inside as it was out. Large oil paintings lined the walls next to oil lamps, large chandeliers casting dazzling light from above. Aeryn, however, was quickly ushered away from the hall and into a new room before he had a chance to fully appreciate his surroundings.

            The room was circular, and everyone was directed to seats placed in front of long tables, all facing a raised platform near the front. Aeryn took his seat, looking down at an envelope set right in front of him on the desk. All around him people were talking excitedly, and a few had already picked up their envelopes and were shaking it to try and guess what was inside.

            “Quiet! Quiet! Everyone take your seats!” The chatter abruptly stopped, a few voices lingering as some of them took longer than others to notice the woman who had spoken. At the front, a young blonde woman in the black uniform of the Arcaeni stood on the low platform, facing them. When everyone was finally quiet, she spoke again. “Welcome everyone. We all know why you are here, so I'm going to make this quick. This is your official test briefing. In front of you is a packet. Inside you will find a folder with paperwork that you will need to fill out. We will go over this together, so please, do not write anything until I tell you to. Now please, take out your folder..."

            There was a shuffling of paper throughout the room. Aeryn opened his envelope and pulled out the folder, flipping it to the first page. His heart dropped to the pit of his stomach. I'm going to be here all day...He let out a low groan. The packet was almost as thick as his thumb.

            “If you will look to the top right corner of your paper you will see a section for...” The next few hours were a complete blur. They had to fill out family history going back three generations, medical history, where he was born, birthdates. He wrote his birthdate down so many times that the number would probably be engrained on his eyelids forever. When they finally finished filling out all the information, including a twenty page 'personality assessment', his hand was cramped up and he wondered if he'd ever be able to use it again.

            When everyone was finished, they filed out in rows to different parts of the Library. Whole sections of the large building had been closed off and dedicated to this day, with make-shift medical wards set up everywhere. It was around this part of the day that most of the people were sent home. The men and women had been separated, and Aeryn now sat on a bench in nothing more then his underwear, feeling like a plucked chicken lined up for the chopping block. He fidgeted in his seat as more and more people left through the exit, their heads low. You can't be sent home. You won't. He assured himself.

            “Next.” Aeryn nearly jumped from his seat as he realized it was now his turn, hurrying towards the door. Inside, someone closed the door behind him and he took only a second to assess his surroundings. It looked like it was usually an office of sorts, with an oversized oak desk, with ornately carved leaves and vines across the front, bookshelves lining the walls. He thought it looked similar to Uncle Robert's study, at Aunt Margaret's house. Aeryn spotted a square painted onto the stone floor, and walked over to it, turning to face the three doctors that sat behind the oak desk.

            “Papers.” One of them said, walking around the desk. Aeryn handed his folder to the man, who thumbed through it before handing it off to the other men. “A bit young, aren't you?” Aeryn felt a little muscle twitch in his jaw. The man chuckled. “No matter. Hold your arms out in front of you.” Aeryn did so. Instantly the man's hands grabbed his arm, fingers kneading into the muscle. Aeryn almost yanked his arm back, wincing slightly, but he gritted his teeth and kept his arms extended. The man did the same thing for his other arm.

            “Good muscle density. Touch your toes.” Aeryn did as he was asked. There was scratching of pen on paper. “There's no need to weigh you, so he's checked there.” More pen scratching. There were a few more tests like this, then the first man took his seat and another walked up to him.

            “Do you know what test comes next?” The man asked. Aeryn shook his head. “Its a test to measure you magical potential. All I need you to do is close your eyes.” Aeryn's heart gave a nervous flutter, but he closed his eyes like he was asked. He felt two of the man's fingers press against his forehead, then the palm of his other hand against his heart. He wondered if he'd notice how quick his heart was beating.

            Everyone was silent. Please let something happen. Please...He wasn't sure what the man was looking for, or what was supposed to happen. He half-expected to hear something move, or for the man to remark on something going on in the room. But he was silent, and Aeryn felt each second pass with heavy anticipation, each beat of his heart slower than the last.

            And then he felt something. It was like...like the river back home. A smile crept to the edge of his lips. He was reminded of what it felt like to swim in it during early spring, when the sun was warm, but the waters still had a slight chill to them that shocked you when you first jumped in. The water flowed icily across his skin, his breath catching in his chest from the sudden plunge. And then just as quickly the river stopped. The flow of water was gone from his skin and the man's hand was no longer on his chest. Aeryn opened his eyes, blinking in confusion. That feeling...goosebumps rose on his skin and he shivered.

            The man turned to look at his colleagues, each of them waiting for his word. Aeryn licked his lips nervously, looking between the doctors in nervous anticipation.

            “How did I do? Did I pass?” Aeryn asked, almost stumbling over his own words. The man turned to look back at Aeryn, the bemused smile he'd had for most of the examination no longer on his face. Aeryn expected the worst.

            “You passed.” The man said. Aeryn let out a shuddering breath, not able to help the smile that rose to his lips and lit up his blue eyes. The doctor walked over to the desk, sitting back down and writing a few things on the papers in front of him. He stamped it with a wooden block in red ink and closed the folder, holding it out to Aeryn. But when he grabbed it, the man held onto it firmly. “One more thing...” The man glanced at the papers on his desk. “...Aeryn.” The man looked at his colleagues once more, then smiled up at Aeryn.

            “Good luck.” And with that Aeryn exited the room, pausing right outside the door and letting out a long held breath. The first part was over with. But he knew this was only the beginning. The cabbie Dan had told him only twenty would be accepted. And even though he'd made it through the first day, he had no doubt that the next few would be much harder. How was he supposed to compete with everyone else? With people who had been training and working for this their entire lives? He forced the fear away. He had to make it. His father was depending on him.

            He changed back into his clothes and made his way back to the room he had started in. This time around, there were far less people seated at the desks. But the numbers were still high, and within thirty minutes, everyone that was going to make it to the next phase of the tests had found their seats. This time, when the Arcaeni woman walked up to the raised platform, everyone silenced without a word from her. By the time she reached the center of the stage, all eyes were on her.

            “There are seventy four of you in here now. Of those, only twenty will be accepted.” She paused in her speech, as if to let that number hang ominously in their minds. “I'm sure that by now many of you have guessed your odds.” Aeryn noticed that there were many people looking around now. Some met eyes with others across the room, some avoided eye contact at all cost. To him, it seemed as if they were all sizing up their competition, guessing at their capabilities. He also noticed that very few looked at him.

            He knew that many of them probably had far more experience with magic then he did. He'd only just found out he could use it a few months ago, and that had been entirely on accident! But he wasn't about to let that get to him. He wasn't ready to give up quite yet.

            “If you'll look at the envelopes in front of you, you'll notice that they've been labeled with your names. Please open them.” The woman said. Aeryn picked up the envelope. Thankfully, it was far too small to hold more paperwork. He wasn't sure if his hand could write another word! Written in clear letters across the front was his name. Aeryn Eldrin. The envelope was heavy, and he quickly tore it open, dumping the contents into his hand. A small silver ring landed on his palm. The ring was artfully designed, and the jewel in its center was of some kind of black stone, with a silver letter A etched into it. The A was shaped like a wing on one side, which gracefully wrapped itself around the rest of the letter. A spark lit up his eyes. The symbol of the Arcaeni.

            “These are your trainee rings. They will provide you with access to the Royal Library, as well the materials therein. It will also let others know you are applicants for this years test. Keep these on you at all times.” Aeryn slipped the ring on his index finger. It fit perfectly. He knew now why they had gotten his ring size during the physical exam.

            “The exam is simple. In two weeks time you will have to perform a demonstration of your skills in magic, in front of a board of judges hand picked by the Arcaeni. What the demonstration is, is up to you. Based off your performance, the judges will choose who will be accepted and who will not.”

            A demonstration? But that could be anything! He had expected there to be a series of spells that he would have to perform, but now, not only did he have to learn how to use magic, he had to come up with something to dazzle a group of highly trained magicians? Aeryn glanced around the room. There was some groaning, some looks of despair, but some were already deep in thought, probably coming up with their own ideas on how to impress the judges. He couldn't just memorize a set number of spells now. He had to come up with something unique, something the judges had never seen before...

            “Take advantage of the resources given to you. Two weeks from today, you will all be competing. On your way out the door, remember to hand your files to the attendant, and don't forget...train hard, train well, and good luck.” With her last words, the room exploded with the sound of excited voices, chairs sliding back, and footsteps rushing for the door. Aeryn was carried away by the crowd, barely managing to hand his file off before being pushed out the doors and into the hall.

            Already people were lining up by the entrance to the main Library, ready to get a head start on their studies and research. Well, looks like I'm not making it in there tonight. He looked out the windows of the main entrance. Night was just beginning to fall. He'd spent the entire day inside this building. With any luck, Aunt Margaret would have dinner ready by the time he got back. He gave one last glance towards the Library entrance. He would have to try for that another day. For right now, the books in his Uncle's study would have to suffice. 



© 2012 MachinaWriter


Author's Note

MachinaWriter
Any and all criticism is welcome. Or just a simple comment would be good. Let me know what you think, I'm excited to see how this is received.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was amazing. Your wrote this very well and had me clinging to every word. I love the story and there are so many questions that I need answers to. Will Ry'us find his parents? Did he kill Leta? Is Aeryne going to try and figure out what those books meant to use in front of the judges? I can't wait for you to write more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Apatheia

11 Years Ago

And you can tell. I'm very impressed and I hope you're currently working on making more.
MachinaWriter

11 Years Ago

I am lol I split my time between writing this one and writing Lily's book. I procrastinate a lot, th.. read more
Apatheia

11 Years Ago

Hahah well if shes the only reason then I'll get over it. :P

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 10, 2012
Last Updated on September 10, 2012


Author

MachinaWriter
MachinaWriter

Springfield, IL



About
My original passion has always been in writing stories. Most of them were fantasy stories, because I always wanted to escape. That's what it was. An escape from the troubles of life. Joining this site.. more..

Writing