Two ~ Breaking Sapphires

Two ~ Breaking Sapphires

A Chapter by Caution In Flames

I didn't realize that we had pulled into the school until Florentine shut off the car and looked over at me, eyes sparking like a wildfire with happiness. 
"Here we are! Aren't you excited, Mason?" Her small voice exclaimed. I had to hand it to her- she was really good at making a god-awful day seem bearable. 
I looked over at her, trying to manage the best smile I could, and murmur, "Essentially." 
She clapped her hands twice, delicately trying to not to smudge her black nail polish and climbed out of the car- neon pink, green, and blue curly locks of hair bouncing as she did so. 
I climbed out also, regrettably not as gracefully as Florentine, but at least one of us had to pretend to fit in here. 
Flora walked over the back of the onyx colored car, index finger sliding along the frame, and opened the trunk, eyes still sparking. 
As she retrieved our tired, old school supplies, I surveyed the scene. Average teenagers, idling absently in the rather large school parking lot. Few looked in our direction, though; which would have been satisfying normally, but due to the fact that Flora's hair and wardrobe were exceptionally odd this morning, I wondered exactly what kind of freak shows may wander these halls. 
I laughed in spite of myself at my silly conclusion, and Flora immediately stood up straight, looking at me, bewildered. 
"What's funny?" She asked quietly. 
"Nothing," I said in an effort to spare her frail feelings. 
She handed me my worn red binder, and carried her green one gingerly as she strode quickly through the parking lot. I shut the trunk and locked the car, smirking and thinking that if any normal human had but a fraction of the confidence Flora had- they'd surely implode. 
I walked across the parking lot, a tad slower than my erratic sister, and paused momentarily to answer my buzzing phone. It was a text from Flora. 
Haven't got a single clue as to where first period's class is. Mrs. Stein's English class? You know where it is? -Flo, it read. 
I rolled my eyes, stuffing the phone back into my pocket and lifting my eyes to see a girl walking towards me. 
Her features were strictly Italian, as was the thick dark blue hair, that was pulled up into a high ponytail, little ringlets cascading down her back. A few pieces of hair framed her oval shaped face, and a confident red-lipped smile seemed to be brewing. She was of average height, a little more long-legged than usual, and accompanied by a slightly smaller torso. Part of me wondered if she had an eating disorder, because she so fragile looking. Then again, so was most of the students here. She wore a simple black tank-top and grey-lavender jeans with so many rips in them that it had to be criminal. Her shoes were simple, though, just red faux snakeskin flats. She looked much more extravagant that I did in my American Eagle t-shirt and blue jeans. 
She stopped right in front of me, eyes searching in mine for a moment.
"Excuse me, but do you happen to know where the office is, by any chance?" She asked, slightly biting the left side of her lower lip. 
I nodded, and pointed to a large building to her right, "Yeah, it's over there, I believe." 
She glanced over there, then looked back at me. Part of me wondered if she really even needed to visit the office.
"I'm Rae Ferrara, nice to meet you," She extended her right hand to me. 
I shook it gently, grinning, "Mason Regal. Is Rae your real name?" I asked curiously. 
"No, it's Melrose," She said uncertainly, looking at the ground, "Rae is a nickname," she shrugged. 0
I looked down at her- because I was about six feet tall and she was only about 5'5"- grinning curiously. 
"Melrose Ferrara," I said slowly, "You're right, Rae sounds better." I laughed. 
She laughed along with me, her giggle sounded like a musical chime. 
"Do you have a nickname?" She asked.
I shrugged, "My parents and sister call me Mase."
"Like the pepper spray?" There was that magical laugh again.
"Precisely." I chuckled. 
"So," She said, shifting her weight to her left foot, "Are you a senior?" 
I raised an eyebrow, "Freshman, actually."
Her eyes widened a tiny bit, "I am too... but you're... wow." 
"What?" 
"You look far too brawny to be a freshman," She noted. I internally winced at her observation skills. What else had she noticed?
"Well my sister Florentine is a freshman too, and she looks like she could be a seventh grader," I smirked. 
My phone went off again, and I looked at it slyly. 
Shut up before I come out there and murder you ;D -Flo.
"Oh, the girl with the neon hair?" She asked, shrugging some of her own spectacular hair of her eyes. 
"Yeah, that's Flora." 
Of course Florentine heard me insult her, one of the many 'perks' of immortality was acute senses.
Rae shifted her black binder from one hand to the other as the bell rang.
"What do you have first period?" She asked. 
"Mr. Nelson, math." I replied fluidly. 
She seemed delighted by this, "So do I! Want to walk together?" She offered, gazing at me from beneath her lightly-mascara'd eyelashes.
"Of course," I nodded, placing my hand on her back.
Rae's cheeks turned crimson as we began walking. 
I turned to look behind me, and there was Florentine, looking at me with bewildered and angered eyes. 
"Just a friend," I mouthed. 
She still looked angry. 
It had been decades ago, in the nineteen-thirties, when I had accidentally killed my first love Eve. It'd been a simple mistake. We were hanging out at my house when she was examining an old picture of me and Florentine. One thing led to another, and I was chasing her throughout our house for it, laughing together. I finally caught up to her, and when I went to wind my arm around her waist, the momentum of running caught up with me and I crushed her instantly. Within a split second, she was dead- all ribs crushed and vital organs mutilated. Over a picture. 
We had been living in Ambrose, Georgia, then. Where we are now. 
Part of me leveled with Florentine's anger, fore she had been friends with Eve too. 
I sighed quietly, just low enough for Rae's ears not to notice, and stalked off to math with her, feeling extraordinarily guilty, with Florentine's eyes burning holes into my back.


© 2013 Caution In Flames


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on February 9, 2013
Last Updated on February 9, 2013


Author

Caution In Flames
Caution In Flames

Sacramento, Calfornia



About
Time has brought your love to me, and here I will cherish the precious moments that your warm existence will bring for the millenniums ahead, for just simply you and I, my dear. more..

Writing