And a big BOO to you all!

And a big BOO to you all!

A Story by Magdelena
"

Trying my hand a a story.. OMG!!!

"
Image
 
 Halloween night....
   All of us were excited. Mom had gone to the store and I saw her bring in dozens of bags filled with all different types of candy. We had gone and picked a pumpkin. It was large and round and I knew perfect for carving. My sister, Sally cried all night because she wanted to be the one to carve out the scary face, but Mom said no.. She had done it last year, so it was my turn this year.. I carefully held the knife my Mom gave me and did exactly as she said. Soon I was standing back and inspecting my handiwork.
     The eyes were a little crooked, but I thought it looked great! I was so excited when my Mom went and put the candle in it and soon the face looked even better with the light flickering inside the pumpkin. Sally even had to admit it looked good. Being older than me by three years, she always liked to bully me. I just turned twelve so I felt all grown up now, of course my sister was a teenager. That was something big from the way all the boys acted when they saw her. Me, I couldn't care less on girls. YUCK! They were boogers for sure.
     I did all my homework and chores as soon as I got home because I wanted to get dressed in my new costume.. I was going to be Frankenstein, my favorite character.. I always watched all the movies with anything scary. My sister was just a big ole scardey cat! She was afraid of everything.. Running upstairs I rushed to my room and grabbed my costume and hurriedly got dressed. I looked around my room and smiled. It was all scary looking. I had posters of all monsters and webs all over the walls. I tried to make it look just like the crypt keepers house on tv and I think it looked just like it too! Sally, of course, hated it! She hated everything. She was such a booger head! Her room, YUCK! Was done in all pink. Hearts all over, fluffy pillows with feathers.. It looked like someone puked in there.
     As I was almost done I heard the doorbell ring. I ran to the window and saw all trick-a-treaters had started walking around. Yippeeee! I yelled as I ran out my room. It was gonna be a great night. My friends, Johnny and Paul, were coming over and we were all going to trick-a-treat together.. I was more excited because we were doing something that no one even would dream of. We were going to the old Barclay house up on the hill. It was said that old man Barclay had killed his whole family lots of years ago. Way before I was born. My parents would whisper about it, but never said anything when I asked them. they always said to stay away and to be quiet. Parents! They were such scaredy cats!!
     I ran down the stairs as I saw my mother handing out some candy to a bunch of kids by the door. I smiled and made a grimace and laughed when one of the little girls dressed as a fairy scream when she saw me.
     'Steven'! My mother called out and by the sound of her voice I knew that meant stop it or else. And I wasn't taking any chances. Not tonight, that was for sure. So I shrugged and said 'Sorry' to the girl, then ran to the kitchen. My sister was in there in her all pink outfit. God was she ever in any other color than that puke pink! Gag... She looked like a big ole marshmallow dressed in a fluffy skirt and pink sweater with all flowers on it. And a dog? Wow a dog was on her skirt too! Boy was she weird!
     "Now who are you supposed to be?' My sister looked up and laughed rolling her eyes.
     "I'm Frankenstein, as if you didn't know'. I shook my head and stuck my tongue out at her as I ran to the back door.
     Just then my mother walked in and stopped me
     'Now Steven, remember what I said', her stern voice told me she was referring to our discussion last night about the houses I was allowed to go to, and the ones I wasn't. Of course you know whose I wasn't allowed to go to.. Laughing to myself I innocently looked at her and gave my most winning smile. 'I know, Mom. I promise'. That's all I had to say and she smiled back and after a peck on the cheek I was free to go.
     Now I know how prisoners felt. I ran out the door and down the block to Johnny's house. We were meeting there and then would make our rounds till it got dark. Then the ole Barclay house after that. I could hardly contain myself, I was so excited..
     A few minutes later I was down the street and was met by Paul. We had arrived at the same time.. He was dressed as Spider man. he always thought he could be just like him and liked to throw that stupid web stuff out that came with the costume.. In fact he was always buying that can stuff and spraying it all over. Jeess, he was a real pain..
     Moments later out ran Johnny. Giving out high fives, we started our rounds.. We already had a plan. We would hit all the blocks nearby, then make our way towards the old Barclay house before it got too dark.. My sack was getting full quick. I looked in and saw all goodies inside. Paul had already been ransacking his and his mouth was full of chocolate. I saw Johnny doing the same as me, just looking. I always like to look, then wait till I got home before I ate anything. The whole thing was playing jokes on everyone and collecting candy. The eating was for later. But not Paul. he always had to be different. Johnny was dressed as a ghost in a long white sheet he had made. I had to admit it looked good not being store bought and all. He didn't have much money being his dad was dead and all. he died when Johnny was small, so it was just him and his mother living in the house. But they managed. Mrs. Smith was real nice. She always looked pretty and all and she was real good to Johnny.
     Finally..... I almost jumped for joy when I saw the old Barclay house on the hill right up ahead of us.. The light was slowly fading and by the time we were walking up the driveway that was all tiny rocks and all, it was almost dark out.
     Johnny suddenly had this look on his face. Well not really his face, but in his eyes. They looked all scared like..
     'Hey what's with the look?' I asked stopping..
     'I don't know guys if this is such a good idea.' He suddenly blutterd out.
     I stood still. Was he serious? Like what made him say that? I shook my head and stood my ground. 'What you mean? We already talked about this.' No way were we backing down now. We were here already for goodness sakes!
     Paul, who always was the biggest scaredy cat of all times, suddenly blurted out, 'Yea, wuz up with that?'.
     I was shocked! I mean Paul!!! He was now standing there looking all tough and angry. If you hit me with a punch, I would have been more surprised than Paul being the tough one over Johnny.
     'I don't know guys. But look at it! it looks scary and all. What if those stories are true?'
     We all turned and stared at the old house. it's windows that looked like eyes seeming to look at us. I did have to admit the house did look scary looking. Especially the lights on on the top floor. Four little windows and they were lit up. Now what was up with that? 
I know no one lived there, or I would have heard from my mom or dad. They both sold houses for a living, but no one ever wanted to buy the old Barclay house. it was haunted!!!!
     'Okay, being we're here let's say we just run up to the door and ring the bell? No one has to go inside or anything'' I was trying to make Paul feel better. hey we were buds. had to make him feel good about himself. He didn't want it to be all over that he was a scaredy cat and all!
     'Well.' Paul was looking down and kicking at the dirt with the toe of his shoe. He really did look scared and all, but I still wasn't giving in.. I wanted to at least say I went up to the front door.
     'Oh to heck with ya both!' I heard the voice sound out even before I turned. Johnny was already running up towards the house. Us screaming behind him to stop.. But he kept going. Like someone was chasing him or something. he was fast too!
     Then..... Gone.....
     Paul and me looked at one another in shock Did Johnny just go inside that old house?   
     We turned again to the house and the door stood open, darkness waited for us, but no Johnny. He was gone..
     Running, we hurried to the house. No way were we leaving him there. He could get killed then my mother would kill me! So like it or not, Paul and me were going in.
     Standing at the door suddenly everything was different. A cold fear took over. Like a blast of cold air had suddenly brushed passed us. it was that cold! I opened my mouth to call for Johnny, then suddenly a voice called out.
     'Hey guys. Come on in. It's cool'.
     That was Johnny's voice, but we couldn't see him. It was pitch black inside there. Where was he?
     'Do you see him?' Paul looked at me and shook his head. We both stared at each other wondering on what to do. Suddenly I didn't feel so good. I wanted to go home and go to bed..
     'Hey guys I'm in here' Again Johnny's voice.. But where was it coming from? I moved closer inside the doorway, Paul following behind me. Then we were inside... Nothing! Darkness everywhere. All around us. I put my hands in front of me and started to move. I was trying to see of there was a light switch, or something. Anything! Paul was on the other side. I could hear him moving in the darkness. His feet shuffling along...
     A scurrying sound came forth, then another. Soon the whole room sounded with them. I opened my mouth to scream, but nothing came out. I was never so scared in my life.. I felt my hands shaking as I moved them in front of me. 'Paul?' I called out..
     "Hey!' Again I called. What was going on? Now where was Paul? I didn't like this. Not one bit! First Johnny. Now Paul. 'Okay guys very funny'.. I was growing angry now. I wanted to get out of there but I had to find my friends first.
     'Over here', a voice sounded out. The sound was close. So close that it felt like it came from behind me. I turned quickly! 'Hey are you there?' I called out.
     'Johnny.. Paul?' I moved further into the room. Nothing but darkness and empty space met my flaring arms in front of me. I was scared. Shaking. The thought of turning and running for the door came to me, but I pushed it aside.. I had to find my friends..
     'Boo!' A voice behind me..
     'Gotcha!' Another voice.. This time in front of me.
     'Look out!', a voice called out loud in my ear. I screamed and turned round and round. Voices all over me. Behind me, in front of me, all over!  
  .  I was getting dizzy.. My heart was pounding so loud that I felt it would jump right out of my chest. it was true all of it! Old man Barclay did murder his wife and the house was haunted. Now it had my friends!!! I panicked, running for the door...
     Suddenly lights came on everywhere. The whole house lit up like a Christmas tree. I stopped and stood open mouthed as I stared around me.
     'Surprise!' All screamed at once..
     The room was crowded with all kids I knew. I saw Johnny at the stairs laughing. Then there was Paul, right next to another one of our friends from school. Why they all were there. each one of them. And I looked around the house and saw it was lit up with all lights of Halloween figures. Skeletons, bats, all weird shapes lit bright and gay. Decorations all over, food on tables set in the corner. I was in shock at all I saw.
     Johnny walked over and slapped me on the back. 'Gotcha didn't we?' he laughed..
     'When? How. What?' I didn't know what to say. I was tongue tied.
     'Oh we planned this months ago. You always talked about the house being haunted, as we all did. Old man Barkley's son, Jason was kind enough to let us throw a party in his house' he pointed to a middle aged man standing by the fruit bowl. The man looked up and gave a wave. I weakly smiled back.
     'So old man Barclay never killed his wife and kids?' I asked stupidly.
     'Nah, it was all made up. Just a story the old timers told. Old man Barclay died of a heart attack and he had one son, Jason there. this is his house. The reason we never see him is because he only just now started fixing it up to move back into it. he writes books and all and figured he would come back to his hometown and live here.' Johnny explained..
     I nodded then suddenly started to laugh. What a night! Heck what a story! I never was so frightened yet relieved, at the same time.. I now knew that never to believe what you hear. for it usually is always made up, or added to..
     Imagine.... Old man Barclay never being a murderer!!! What a crock!!! I laughed and went to join in on the fun...
 
     Oh yea......
 
 
     Happy Halloween!!!
 
     And a big BOO to you all!  
    .    
     
 
 
 
 

© 2009 Magdelena


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this was a very brillant write liked the storyline and character development in this alot.... a very cute spooky piece... nice work!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is amazing, such a thriller of a write here
Such action protrayed in this write.
I laughed in a few parts of this as well.
Very well written, very enjoyable read.
I like this.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 15, 2009
Last Updated on October 30, 2009

Author

Magdelena
Magdelena

Charlotte, NC



About
Hello to all; Been awhile since I been on. Most know me, some don't. Hopefully I can get to know the few that don't and catch up with all the other fine fellow poets/friends that have become so.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..