Ice in the Desert Chunk 8

Ice in the Desert Chunk 8

A Chapter by Viney
"

White Ghost and Black Ice take a trip down to the shop, run by the mysterious, sassy Catail. While there, Black Ice gets into some trouble.

"

I'm shaken awake, and I sit up, rubbing my eyes wearily. I flash an unhappy look at Ghost, who grinned, annoyingly cheerful on purpose. I moan and sit up, surrounded by the others starting to wake up themselves. I stand up, and start to follow him while he steps carefully through the makeshift beds. I stop in the middle of the hallway when he turns the opposite direction of the room with the star on it. He turns around and explains. “We ain't stopping by there. We're goin' now.” he says like it's no big deal, and walks on. I of course tag along, albeit a little uncertainly. Some of the kids give us funny stares as we approach of the exit, but Ghost doesn't seem to notice.


As we leave the bunker and enter the harsh sunlight, I hear some shouting from down below us. I don't know if it was directed towards us, and I don't want find out. Ghost kicks the rock back over the hole we left through, and starts walking quickly, seeming to not want to be near the others. I look back to the overhang, uncertain and wondering if anyone is following us. I don't see anyone, but that doesn't mean that someone's not on the way.


The further we walk in this direction, the rockier it gets, with more signs of life. Pawprints, bushes, scraggly little trees, and, of course, cacti dot the dunes, and boulders poke out from the sand, with an occasional high rock cliff. It's nothing like the empty, open dust plains back by the Dust Bunny. I start to slow to take it all in. “Yeah, the desert's filled with rocks and plants and stuff. Very cool. Pick up the pace, we're running on a schedule.” says Ghost, unmoved by his surroundings, which is nothing unusual. There isn't a lot that can impress him. I start really moving faster to match his pace, and as we walk around a particularly big rock, I can see a little shack off in the distance. It's got a little metal rod thing sticking out of the roof, and I can see large, dusty windows that take up the entire front of the shabby building. A few teenagers lounge around the outside, not caring about the two of us approaching. I open my mouth, but before any words pass my lips, Ghost breaks in. “That's the shop.” my partner says, answering my question before I can ask it.


We approach the store cautiously, eyes darting around the canyons carving ravines in the earth in this area, looking for Exterminators doing their daily patrols. When we reach the dirty transparent door, Ghost peers in as if checking to see if anyone else was in there. He slowly opens the door, and a little bell rings as he does. I flinch at the sudden noise, and he rolls his eyes at my timidness as I realize what it was. I chuckle a little nervously, and take in the little place. I hear the footsteps of a few people milling about in the isles. The first thing I notice is the logo. It's everywhere. Over half the wares have the same color, sticker pattern. 


It's a blank white background, with a black outline of a face with a blank smile on it. It's everywhere, on all the shelves in every isle. Everything with this is rather bleak and boring, like there's no individuality.


Taking another step into the silent shop, I gasp as a dark figure jumps out in front of me, and I find myself staring down the muzzle of a pistol. “Who the hell are you?” says a grim, serious, female voice. The shop goes dead silent. I stare, scared into silence, adrenaline coursing through my veins, speeding up my breathes and heartbeat. I hear Ghost behind me, shouting, with a hint of panic in his voice.


“Catail! Step away! She's with me!” he cries, and he's quickly answered with a reply that doesn't make me feel any safer.


“That's the point, idiot. If she's associated with you, why shouldn't I shoot her, you insane monster?” the girl growls, and Ghost sighs frustratingly.


“Come on, you haven't even met her. Give her a chance.” he pleads, and the gun is lowered, revealing a dark-skinned girl with incredibly long hair.


“Fine. But only because she hasn't done anything yet!” she says quickly. I back away and step behind Ghost, looking the girl over from behind him. She's got dark skin, not black, but not really light either. She has big brown eyes that focus intelligently on the two of us, and dark, shining hair that is tied up in a ponytail hanging past her waist. It looks odd, like it's been weaved like a rope. Her face is thin and narrow, her features sharp. She looks older than me, around Ghost's age. Maybe not quite two years, but somewhere in between. She had on a black leather vest with a white tank top under it, with tight black jeans and black sneakers.


 “You can step out from behind 'im, I'm not gonna shoot ya. Name's Catail.” she says, extending her hand. Her voice is light and wispy, and she blends the words 'cat' and 'tail' together into one word. I step forward from behind Ghost, and shake her hand nervously.

Name's Black Ice. Uh, nice to meetcha?” I stammer, letting go of her hand. She raises one eyebrow at me, then looks at Ghost.


“Black Ice? That ain't a real name. Is she a gang member or somethin'? A Killjoy? They're in your general area, after all. They aren't supposed to come around at this time, not yet.” she inquires. She reaches a hand up to brush a loose bit of hair out of her face. “I didn't think you were with them. Didn't they catch you here one time?”


Ghost rocks back and forth on his feet, uncomfortable with the sore subject. “I'm one of 'em now, Catty. You're gonna have to call me White Ghost.” he replies, trying to seem intimidating and tall. Catail doesn't bat an eyelash.


“I have to admit, I didn't see that one coming. Damn, easier access to the shop is the last thing I want you to have.” she says, turning and heading to the front of the store. She stops for a moment. “And don't call me Catty.” She walks on, taking her place behind a counter. “Whatever, customers are customers. Look around, take your time.”


Ghost glares in her direction, and shoves his hands in his pockets. I can tell that he's angered by the fact that he can't scare her like he can scare most everyone. It's the same hateful gaze that he stared at Poison with. Then he breaks his stare and turns away, heading down the isle closest to the windows. Chatter begins to kick up between the others around the store. I follow Ghost, reading the labels of the goods on the shelves. Not all the things have the BLI symbol on them, however. Some have color and life in them. I slow down to examine something that catches my eye, something shining in the sunlight in multiple shades of blue, and my partner walks on without me, intent on something specific further down.


I pick up the bright mask, admiring it's camouflage pattern and blue hues. A little string attaches to tiny hook on both sides, hanging loose in the back. It has two eye-holes cut into it, and a raised spot where the bridge of the nose would be. It would only cover the area around the eyes. My mouth, cheeks, and forehead would still show. I look around to see if anyone's watching, and then I slip the mask on, pulling the string behind my head, and then I look up at the dusty window to see my reflection. My eyes widen behind the blue mask as I stare at the effect it has on my face. I can hardly recognize myself at first. Now I look like a true Killjoy, face hidden behind a creative piece of plastic, looking reckless and heroic. I think it looks awesome, and marveled at myself for a while.


A hand grabs my shoulder, and I start and pull the mask off quickly, jerking my head around and staring upwards into the menacing eyes of a stranger looming over me. “Got quite an eye for color there for one dressed so plainly, kid.” he said, and grins viciously. Fear shoots through me, raising my heartbeat. I try to recall all my experiences, all the tricks I had learned, but my mind is blank, and I can only stare, eyes wide, like one caught by the Vampires. Where's Ghost right now, now that I need him? It He reaches down to my hands, and takes hold of the mask, one hand still holding me. “It probably would look good on you, matching those lovely blue eyes. Too bad it wasn't meant to be. I'll be taking that.” he says, and as he starts to pull the mask away, I snap back into motion.


“No! I found it and it's mine!” I grunt, tightening my grip on the small treasure. I don't fare too well, outmatched in physical strength. Tensing my muscles, I give one final desperate yank, and fall backwards into the shelf, grunting at the impact, mask in hand. It causes quite the commotion, and everyone's heads turn our way. I stagger to my feet, and the stranger looks enraged. Sudden footsteps charge in this direction, and someone calls out my name, probably Ghost. “It's mine.” I say, gasping for breath. I look him up and down, waiting for him to move.


He's about a head taller than me, and is stick thin. Clearly a little stronger than he looks. His hair is a brown and greasy, somewhat straight around his shoulders. His eyes are narrow and hazel, and he has sharp facial features. He has olive skin. He carries himself with an air of authority, like he feels better than everyone. It's hard to place his age. He might just be a really tall kid about my age, or he could be older than Ghost.


Girl, ya don't know what you're gettin' into.” the stranger warns, taking a step forward. “I'd hate to have to wreck that pretty face of yours.” I cast my eyes quickly around the area, and in the background I see Ghost trying to push his way through the tight crowd that's gathered around to watch us. “Just give me the mask. If ya want to keep it, you're gonna have to come with me and my friends.he says smoothly, suddenly gentle, taking another step. I clench the mask tightly. Go with him? No way! I realize that there must be more gangs around, that the Killjoys aren't the only ones lurking around the desert.


“Back off. I can fight ya know. Ain't afraid to.” I say, hoping my voice doesn't betray how nervous I am. Ghost is getting to the edge of the small but tight crowd, who are trying to hold him back so the fun won't be spoiled early, but he's nearly gotten through, and I can see the glint of steel in his hand, held high above his head. He's just seconds away. I grin in his direction. The boy looks to where I'm staring, and frowns briefly before turning back to me and doing something I couldn't have prepared for. All within a second or two he takes a big step forward, leans down, takes my chin, places one hand on my back and kisses me. It probably lasts for just a second, but it feels longer than that. He pulls away, leaving me dumbfounded and angry. He grins, and I want to punch him. I can feel my face heat up in embarrassment and confusion.


“Ha. Keep your cruddy mask, that was much better. Gotta run! See ya 'round, blondie. We'll meet again.” he says, and bolts out of the store. I glance to see him dash away with a few other kids, laughing. Ghost reaches me, sky-blue eyes filled with rage. The shop erupts into noise and the crowd surrounding us disbands.


“D****t! He's gone!” he growls. “You all right? You did fine up until, uh, the end there.” he says a little awkwardly.


“I'm gonna kill him. Next time I meet him, I'm gonna kill him.” I say, adrenaline spiked with emotions and thoughts sent into confusion and anger.


“Good. I'll help ya.” he says, almost a little ominously. “Messin' with you like that... I'm gonna--” He breaks off, eyes blazing, knife still in hand. The fire in his eyes dies, and he smiles kindly. “C'mon. Let's just grab the medicine and leave before we get ourselves into any more trouble.” he walks up to the back of the store, slapping a small, orange bottle onto the counter.


I come up to the counter, and put the mask on it. “Can we get it?” I ask hopefully. “I went through a lot of trouble to keep this thing.” but to my surprise, Ghost shakes his head.

“I don't have a lot to trade with, and I brought just enough for the medicine.” he says, and I feel disappointed that I went through all that trouble to get it. Before my hopes can be totally crushed, however, Catail reaches the counter, laughing.


“Quite a show you put on for us, Ice! That sure was somethin'. Eh, he was gonna steal it anyway. You can keep it.” she says, still chuckling. “Think of it as us payin' you for the performance.” she says, sliding the mask towards me. “Now, Ghost,” she changes subject, “You still have to atone for that.” she point to the medicine bottle. C'mon, what do ya got?” she asks. Ghost throws a few coins down.


“Found these a while back. It'll be enough, won't it?” he says, and Catail nods.

“It'll work just fine. Now, out of my store, you menace.” she says jokingly. “Be careful out there in the heat of the day, you two.” she says, and waves us off so the next in line can come up. I leave happily, mask in hand.


On our way out of the shop, we run into a tired-looking older kid who must've been seventeen or eighteen. He speaks up as we walk by him. “Saw your run-in with Dust.” Dust. So that was his name. Dust was another word for kill out here, which made the kid seem even more arrogant than he already obviously was.


“Yeah. What about it?” I say, not really willing to talk about it, my joy already fading away. My face heats up when I recall the kiss.


“Arrogant brat, ain't he?” he says, more of a statement than a question. “He's only fourteen, but he's real confident in himself. Real charmer.” the guy smirks. “Unpredictable and drives the clever ones like me crazy. The kids a little closer to your age though, they like him. Think he's funny and entertaining.” he pauses briefly to yawn. “Come earlier or later if you want to avoid him, that's all you'll have to do. Not too late as to run into Killjoys though.” he shudders. “I don't want to think of that: Me versus them. Not pleasant.”


In confusion I blurt out, “But I'm a Killjoy. What's wrong with us?” and I realize just after the words pass my lips that it wasn't the best thing for me to say.


“What? You all aren't supposed to be here!” he says hurriedly, backing up a few feet. “I'm sorry if I got in your way! It'll never happen again!” he pleads. It's almost funny; he's acting like I'm going to shoot him or something. Ghost interjects right then, making me feel stupid with his intelligence.


“Don't worry. We're here on personal business, nothing else. We really must be going now.” he says and we use that excuse to turn and leave, starting our short journey back to the bunker, the home of the Killjoys. As we walk away, canyons growing taller and shop smaller, I feel like I truly understand the world of the desert now. It isn't just scavenging, it's dealing with the dangers, the shops and the unique people in them, the open desert with Exterminators by day and Vampires by night, Battery City with it's dead people. It's experiencing all the thrill, creativity, and excitement life can bring you. I slip the blue mask onto my face and walk along with Ghost, lost deep in thought.



© 2013 Viney


Author's Note

Viney
Typo check. I caught one while pasting this and formatting it. By the way, none of this is indented because whenever I hit the indent button, everything gets all jumbled up. I can't really explain it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
Added on June 27, 2013
Last Updated on June 27, 2013
Tags: Viney, Coulgant, Black Ice, White Ghost, Horror, Sci-fi, science fiction, desert, dystopia, problems


Author

Viney
Viney

Like I'm giving that out., CA



About
Hello all, I'm a young writer that goes under the pen name of Viney, who is often the name of the main character in my stories. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm not good at what I do. Age is.. more..

Writing