Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Makenna

Queen Mallory

The plan was going well. The girl’s pain was exquisite. She agonized every day over her doubts, every day plunging a bit farther into the dark abyss. She was close--a few more nudges, and she would fall over the edge, Mallory was sure of it. Still--there was precious little time remaining, if the ritual was to proceed on schedule. And now they had sent her a Guardian, the nerve!

Mallory felt a flash of annoyance. The Guardian could not stop her plan forever, but he could be rather irritating, he could even slow her down if he was skilled enough. That would be a problem. He might even manage to convince the girl she wasn’t a hopeless case, which was not acceptable. Mallory needed a broken heart to sacrifice to the Darkness. Only this would empower her magic enough to take control of the forces of Light those idiot Guardians sided with.

Light. Mallory felt her lip curl in contempt. It was locked in a constant struggle with Darkness, but it could not continue forever. Darkness was slowly sucking away the light. Soon, there would be no Light left. Hope would be gone, destroyed by the despair of the human race. Humans--they were such pathetically weak creatures! They did not realize power, even when it slapped them in the face, even if it controlled their every action.

But this human, this Annalise--she could be a powerful ally on the side of light. It was taking Mallory’s best witches to deplete her of hope, and even then the girl still struggled to find a reason to live! Mallory had to grudgingly admit that the girl had strength, but she was growing weak. Soon she would be gone, and with her would come the end of Light. As long as the Guardian didn’t interfere with her plot. Already, an idea was swirling in her thoughts, forming a plan to deal with the boy who would stand in her way.

Mallory looked at the circle of witches surrounding her throne. Each of them was chanting a spell, using magic to further the design of desolation that Mallory envisioned. Her eye was caught by one particular witch, who seemed to be sitting in the middle of a miniature storm. She was working on a lesser project--making disasters--hurricanes, earthquakes, tidal waves. Causing pain and loss and destruction, suffering to feed the Dark and despair. She could be spared for a few minutes.

“You!” Mallory snapped, pointing a long-nailed finger at her. As she pointed, a swirling black aura, like a minuscule storm cloud, swirled from her finger to swirl around the circle. The witches all stuttered to a halt, their eyes opening. When Mallory saw the fear and anguish in their eyes, her lips curved up in a cruel smile. The witch she addressed flinched, and a harsh laugh came from Mallory. “I have need of my pets. Bring them to me,” she commanded, lowering her finger.

The witch scrambled to her feet and bowed low. “Yes, my queen.” She hurried out of the chamber.

Mallory looked at the others in disdain. “Well? Have I told you to stop? Continue chanting! Make chaos, destruction, despair. Do not stop until every iota of hope has been obliterated. Continue your work, now!”

“Of course, my queen,” they all murmured, resuming their chanting. Mallory settled back in her throne, tapping her fingers on the arm as she waited. The witch returned after a few minutes, straining to push forward a large cage from which snarling and screeching, like an angry murder of crows, arose.

Mallory stood and went to crouch before the cage, touching one of the bars as she looked at her pets. “Peace, dear one. You shall be let loose to play, very soon.” She smiled her unkind smile again as the creatures glared at her, pacing and snarling restlessly.

It was a rather unique group of creatures--they had the head, beak, and wings of an eagle. Their body was that of a lion, proud and fierce and strong. They were griffins, and they used to be protectors of treasures. However, Mallory had bred this pack herself. She taught them to hunt, to serve only her. Many servants had lost fingers or even whole hands, and once an eye, to them. Mallory was most fond of them--they were her treasures.

“You have served me well today"I am pleased. You may go rest. Be sure to send another in your place,” Mallory told the witch. She didn’t know her name. She didn’t need to--she was but a servant, unimportant as long as she followed orders.

The witch bowed again. “Yes, my queen--thank you, my queen.” Again, she hurried from the room, as though to escape before she was summoned back to her casting. Mallory’s eyes narrowed, but she let her go--that could be dealt with later. For now, she had other things to think about.

She opened the cage, and one of the creatures rushed forward. She seized it by the ruff of its neck, causing it to screech and claw indignantly. She shook it and frowned at it, and it quieted, though it still glared at her maliciously. This pleased Mallory--if it showed even her such malevolence, she could only imagine what it would do to the Guardian. She imagined it with relish as she stroked the feathers on the griffin’s head.

“Be still, my pet. I have a task for you,” she crooned. She waved her hand in the air. Dark energy swirled again, and the creature growled in distress. Mallory ignored this, waving her hand through the cloud of Dark magic. It split like a double screen, showing two images: one of a lonely, weeping girl alone in her room, curled on her bed, despairing about her uselessness in the universe; the other of a tall, fierce-looking young man with a sword strapped to his side. Mallory felt her lip curl again as she showed the images to the griffins.

“Find these two, my pets. Keep them apart--don’t kill the girl, yet. I have need of her. But for the young man, do with him what you wish--he is the enemy, and I would be glad to see him destroyed. Now, you have your mission. Go, and serve me well!” she cried, releasing the griffin. It flapped its wings and surged to the window, crashing through it and speeding away. The others followed it with frenzied cries, and soon they were nothing but dark specks on the horizon.

She settled in her throne, prepared to watch the destruction of her enemies. A cold smile lifted her lips--the plan was going very well, indeed.


© 2013 Makenna


Author's Note

Makenna
INTRODUCING THE MAIN VILLAIN, DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN. Thoughts? Love her? Hate her? Unimpressed? Let me know!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
Added on November 5, 2013
Last Updated on November 27, 2013


Author

Makenna
Makenna

About
You don't need to know, but if you really want to--I like to write. I get ideas sometimes, they might be brilliant or they might suck. I think language is a way to create. Bring someone to a new world.. more..

Writing
Perspective Perspective

A Poem by Makenna


Depression Depression

A Poem by Makenna


Because Because

A Poem by Makenna