Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Marcel Darrow
"

Meet the main antagonist because this time, there is one.

"

“Life will be better once I’m crowned, oh yes… Any day now.”

            Sitting up in bed, the man looked at his window. He ignored his desolate surroundings, devoid of furniture and decoration, choosing to cradle the bars on the window. “The moon is pretty tonight. Perfect night to start my ascension.”

            A guard appeared at his door. He leaned towards the narrow window in the door with a scowl. “Charles? Are you talking in there?” He asked sternly.

            Charles looked at the door, his affect dull. “I’m just getting ready, Aulis,” Charles responded.

            The guard huffed, knowing that it was going to be long night with Charles speaking nonsense. “The name’s Randy, but good try,” He said. “What are you getting ready for?”

            Charles got up and shuffled to the door. “Oh, I’m getting ready to take my throne.”

            “Throne?” Randy repeated, unable to keep a sigh out of his voice.

            “Yes, I’m going to be king, don’t you know?” Charles answered. “Which means you are my servant.”

            Randy felt an ache form behind his forehead. Brow furrowing, he rubbed at it. “I am?” He asked, the ache making him feel hazy.

            “Yes,” Charles said confidently. “Now open the door, I need to get ready.”

            Randy blinked slowly as he reached for his keys. His hands shook while he tried to unlock the door. “I’m waiting, Aulis!” Charles shouted, losing his temper.

            “My name is Randy,” He replied dully.

            Randy managed to insert the key in the lock and turn it. “No, it’s not. You are clearly an Aulis,” Charles declared as the door swung open.

“Just look at your face,” He continued, waving a hand in his face.

Randy looked down. The headache was getting worse. He fell onto his knees, pressing his palms into his eye sockets. Charles shook his head in exasperation, watching the show. He snapped, “Hello? Are you going to respond?”

“I’m sorry, sir,” Randy groaned. “You’re right… I look like an Aulis.”

Aulis’s pain faded, but the haze remained. It blurred his vision, making everything nicer. “I would prefer my liege,” Charles supplied.

Blinking, Aulis stood up. “Of course, my liege,” He said. “Sincerest apologies.”

Charles nodded, satisfied with the response. He stepped around Aulis to leave the building. Aulis reached out to Charles, asking, “Wait! My liege, where will you go?”

Charles faced Aulis, conflict marring his face. “I must leave this sanitarium, though I am not sure where I shall go. My castle surely is not still standing…”

He hummed while thinking. “Come with me,” He continued. “I will need assistance.”

Aulis nodded eagerly. “Of course, my liege!”

So, Charles and Aulis walked out the front door of Flare.



© 2019 Marcel Darrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hope good things will come to them!

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
1 Review
Added on May 14, 2019
Last Updated on May 14, 2019