Chapter Four: Meet Tiên or when you just want to study but...

Chapter Four: Meet Tiên or when you just want to study but...

A Chapter by Marcel Darrow
"

Tiên is a straight-A student unwilling to take on new responsibilities. Ruby goes to her first practice with the team while Kris meets an old associate at Flare.

"

Tiên decided to walk her terrier mutt around the block. She had been busy studying for an AP class for the past several hours and thought it was in her best interest to take a break. “Jwi, come along,” Tiên said, pulling on the leash.

            Jwi had stopped to smell a bush. With a light tug, he turned and scrambled closer to Tiên. She smiled at him, amused by his eagerness and curiosity. He strained on his leash, trying to move forward faster. She looked up and spotted another person walking their dog across the street. “Don’t bother them,” She chided.

            She turned him down a different street. He perked up as he heard barking. She looked around, wondering where the noise was coming from. Beside her was a wooden fence; someone decided to separate their lawn from everyone else’s. In the gaps between the planks, she saw a big dog, a retriever. It barked louder when it noticed her gaze.

            “Hiya,” Tiên said, putting on her baby voice. “How are you?”

            Cramming its face between the wood, it whined and growled. Jwi started barking back. Tiên’s brow furrowed, thinking it would be best to keep moving. She walked faster, pulling Jwi away from the fence. Jwi kept barking, however the other dog stopped. She heard a scrabbling noise, like claws scrapping wood. She turned to see the dog fly over the fence.

            It landed hard. Quickly getting to its feet, it pounced at Tiên. She stepped back, dropping her leash, as Jwi came to her defense. He sunk his teeth into the retriever’s leg, growling. The retriever yelped before pinning down Jwi with a paw. It bit him on the shoulder. Jwi scratched at its leg with his hind paws. Tiên panicked. She looked around for something to scare it away.

            She grabbed a small rock and threw it. It bounced off the dog’s side. It released Jwi, facing her. Jwi struggled to get on his feet and bite the dog again. Tiên kneeled, picking up another rock. Feeling conflicted, she tossed it at the retriever’s face.

            The rock struck its cheek, causing it to whimper. It shook off Jwi before turning tail and running. Tiên sighed in relief. She ran to Jwi, scooping him up into her arms. She looked at his injuries. His shoulder was a bloody mess of deep, pinprick wounds and torn up fur. His whines sounded like crying. Tears sprung to Tiên’s eyes, unsure if she could help him. Letting out a sob, she held him tighter.

            She watched in amazement as his injuries appeared to heal themselves. Red tissue seeped up from the holes, filling them in. Then new fur sprouted, pushing aside the displaced bloody mats of fur. Jwi meet her gaze with his blank eyes. He started wagging his tail.

            He wriggled out of her grip and fell on the ground. He got up with ease, still wagging. Butting his head against her leg, he barked cheerfully. She rubbed the top of his head, smiling through her tears. Tiên picked up the handle of the leash and walked the revitalized dog home.

+++++

            Tiên knocked on Paul’s office door before entering. “Why was I summoned?” She asked immediately while taking in her surroundings. “I was in Calculus. I don’t have time for this.”

            Paul gestured to one of the chairs in front of his desk. “Please have a seat,” He said genially. “I’ll try to be quick.”

            Tiên sat down and waited. Paul smiled, trying to reassure her and began, “I’m Mr. De La Rosa, the new counselor. I called you here because one of your classmates expressed concern about your weight and dietary habits.”

            Tiên scoffed. “I’m not anorexic,” She replied. “I couldn’t be if I tried because my mom’s pho and my dad’s stir-fries… I like food, I just have a high metabolism.”

            Paul nodded, closely observing her behavior. She didn’t meet his gaze and played with her hands, yet he thought that it was related to her nervousness rather than her lying. “Alright, I trust you,” He responded. “Well, since we’re here, do you want to talk about anything?”

            Tiên stood up. “Not really.”

            “Don’t worry about calculus,” Paul said. “I’ve seen your grades, you have nothing to worry about… Not to devalue any anxieties you feel. We could talk about those if you want.”

            She sighed, settling back into the chair. “It sounds like you really want to talk,” She commented wearily.

            Paul smirked at her reversal of the situation, but confided in her, “Nobody wants to talk to the counselor. Those who do, surely need it, but I feel like I’m not reaching everyone who needs my assistance.”

            He watched her think. “Well, I can talk to you about my dog,” She said finally. “He was hurt the other day.”

            Paul placed a hand over his heart, partially horrified by the thought of a hurt dog and partially warmed by Tiên’s generosity to talk with him. “Oh no, what happened?”

            “He was attacked by another dog that escaped its fenced-in yard.”

            Dios mio, is he okay?”

            “Yes, he’s perfectly fine,” Tiên said before looking surprised.

            Paul noticed the expression and wondered if she overshared. “Really?” Paul asked, allowing her to decide where the conversation would go.

            She was quiet for a minute as she contemplated more. With her decision, she got a determined look on her face as she answered, “Yes, he seemed to be devastatingly injured… Maybe he could have died, but something happened.”

            “Something?” Paul repeated.

            “He was healed. The wounds just disappeared.”

            Paul leaned forward, holding back a smile that might be deemed creepy. “It was probably you,” He said seriously. “You healed him.”

            Tiên nodded as if it made sense. “I have powers, like the people who have been appearing on the news,” She said monotone. “I… don’t know what to say.”

            “That’s okay, take your time,” He reassured. “You don’t have to process this all right now.”

            He grabbed a pen and one of his business cards. “I think that when you have thoroughly thought this over, you can decide what you want to do with your power. If you even want to do anything at all.”

            He stood up, leaning over his desk to give her the card. She looked at it, confused. “This is an address and time,” She commented.

            “People practice their powers there,” Paul explained gently. “If you decide that you want to practice your powers or something like that, that would be the safest way to do it.”

            She looked at him intensely, uneasily playing with the card. She asked softly, “How would you know?”

            Paul felt his face get warm as he grimaced. “Honestly? It’s my practice,” He answered, rubbing the back of his neck. “I help people control their powers.”

            “Oh.”

            Paul cringed as she looked down. “Yeah, I know that that is just another thing for you to think about and process and I’m sorry,” He rambled. “Just take your time and think it all over. It’s chill if you don’t want to practice at all or with me in particular.”

            They sat in silence for minutes. Paul knew the discussion wasn’t going to get any better. He sighed, saying, “I’m sorry, I’ve kept you long enough… You can go back to class.”

            Tiên stood up unhurriedly, pocketing the card. She nodded once at him and left.

+++++

            A nurse appeared at Kris’s door. He knocked before saying, “Kristen,” He said lightly. “Your presence is requested in Interview Room 1.”

            Groaning, Kris rolled out of bed. She doubted that it was Horns as she stumbled to the door. “I can’t say no, can I?” She asked him.

            “I do not think so,” He replied. “So, compliance would be greatly appreciated.”

            “Of course, man. I just wanted to check.”

            He opened the door and she stepped out. He silently led her to a door somewhere on the first floor. Holding it open for her, he motioned for her to enter. Without him, interestingly enough. “Thanks,” She droned, walking in.

            She spotted Nicki sitting at a wooden table. Shuffling papers, she gestured for Kris to have a seat. Kris sat down across from her. She knew why Nicki was there; it was her research into super-powered people. Kris reassured herself that as long as she played it cool, she was going to be fine. The door shut with a firm click.

            Nicki looked up and immediately said, “I know you.”

            Kris cursed her luck, but humbly shook her head. “No, probably not,” She said. “I used to work at a coffee shop, so it’s possible that we’ve seen each other there, but I’m sure we haven’t met.”

            Nicki nodded, accepting her answer, and glanced at her file. “Kristen James… So, why are you here?”

            “Depression,” She answered. “Now, why am I here?”

            Nicki smirked as she wrote something. “Anyone who turns themselves over to the state is subject to the experiment we are conducting.”

            “Oh, what experiment?” Kris asked, faking interest.

            “We are simply collecting DNA samples and qualitative data on individuals with powers.”

            Kris bobbed her head, responding, “I don’t have any powers.”

            “That’s okay,” Nicki said, waving a hand. “Regardless of whether you have powers, I’m going to take a sample of DNA from you. We will put you firmly in the control group.”

            She bent over to reach into a bag. “Here’s a cotton swab,” She instructed, setting a sample bag with cotton swab on the table. “Gnaw at your cheek a little, then rub it with that cotton.”

            Kris raised her hands to show Nicki her mitts. “I’m going to need these off for a minute.”

            Nicki leaned forward as Kris held out her hands. She undid the burr tape and Kris was free. “Can I ask why you’re wearing those?” Nicki asked quietly as Kris swabbed her cheek.

            She placed the swab in the bag with a scoff. “Come on, doc, you know why I’m wearing them. It’s cause I’m dangerous to myself and others. Now help me put them back on, so they don’t get mad.”

            Kris put one on by herself and Nicki assisted her with the other. “Is it difficult to live in these?”

            “Hella,” Kris replied before changing topics. “Can I hear of the results of the experiment when you’re done?”

            Nicki placed the DNA sample in the bag. “Of course, the results of this study will be public information.”

            Kris grimaced. “Great.”

            “You are free to go,” Nicki said, gesturing to the door.

            Kris stood up and walked over to it, gripping the knob as hard as she could in her mitt. Opening it, she bade Nicki a good day.

+++++

            Q sat on the couch with Paul and Espe, watching one of Kris’s movies. Espe rested her head on Paul’s chest while Q slouched on the opposite side of the couch. Kris’s cellphone started to ring, and Q jumped off the couch, running to grab it. They squeaked in excitement, recognizing the number. “It’s Kris!” They exclaimed before answering the phone.

They waited through the tone as Paul mentioned, “Tell her I said hello.”

“Afternoon Hazel, baby,” Kris said. “How are you doing?”

            “I’m doing great,” They replied, unable to keep a smile off their face. “In fact, Paul and Espe are visiting. He says hello.”

            “Tell him hi back. Actually, I have an important message for him. Nicki is doing her experiment here. I just had to give her some of my DNA, so now I’m going to be in the system. And they’re going to know.”

            Q opened their mouth, ready to reassure her that the experiment wouldn’t reveal her to be a super-powered person. “Kris, there’s someth-”

            Q was cut off by Kris talking to a nurse. “What? No, I didn’t know there were call times. Give me a second. Please? S**t. Goodbye, I love you.”

            Kris hung up before Q could reply. They frowned and set the phone down. Returning to the couch, Paul asked what happened.

            “You know Nicki Shah, the person researching others like us? She’s collecting samples from Flare.”

            Dios mio,” Paul responded. “Is Kris going to be found out?”

            “That’s the thing,” Q said, patting his leg. “Alicia told me about some of the data from her research and everyone has extra DNA… Like Pagel had extra DNA.”

            “Extra DNA? What do you mean?”

            “Everyone has more DNA, but Alicia doesn’t know where it came from. She says that the DNA is why some people have powers, like the DNA is expressed in some people, but not in others. So, I was trying to tell Kris that she shouldn’t worry, they won’t find anything unique about her.”

            “Until they realize that there is a difference.”

            Q nodded. “They might-”

“I’m trying to watch the movie,” Espe interrupted. “Can you guys talk about it later?”

Paul snuggled Espe closer. “, querida, later.”

+++++

            Paul waited outside Aspen Park’s gate for his students. He had sent everyone else ahead to wait in the clearing, worried that the kids would be intimidated by a crowd. Tapping his foot, he looked around. He spotted Ruby skulking down the street toward him. “Hey bucko,” He called, waving.

            She looked up, her expression was unclear. Paul guessed it was anger. She stopped beside him and mimicked his frantic observing. “Hey Señor Rosa,” Ruby said, shoving her hands into her hoodie. “What are we waiting for?”

            Paul glanced around. “I invited another person who may or may not come,” He whispered.

            “S**t man,” She replied. “You made it optional for some other b***h?”

            “They hadn’t come to terms with their power just yet, so I wanted to give them space,” Paul explained before meeting Ruby’s eyes. “You are a little difficult, so it was easier to not give you a choice.”

            Ruby clicked her tongue, turning to face the street. Her eyes scanned the area. “Who is it?”

            Paul leaned over and asked, “Can you keep a secret if they don’t show?”

            Ruby nodded as Paul suddenly jumped and waved. “You made it!” He declared, holding out his arms.

            Tiên mirrored him, her brow furrowed. “My parents think I’m studying with a friend, so let’s do this quick.”

            “Oh s**t, I do know her,” Ruby said, holding out her hand. “Hey Fairy, long time no see.”

            Tiên smiled politely as she shook Ruby’s hand. Utterly confused by the nickname, Paul said, “What?”

            “It’s her name, translated,” Ruby said defensively. “I remember her introducing herself that way in freshman year lit.”

            Tiên nodded, turning red. “And this is Ruby,” She said to Paul. “I never forget a name.”

            Paul took in the situation with delight. “Alrighty, then,” He said, deciding to move. “Let’s get going.”

            “Into the park?”

            “Yeah,” Paul answered, striding through the gate.

            Ruby and Tiên followed, the latter being more hesitant. “I think it’s suspicious to follow a teacher into the woods,” She commented.

            Paul stopped at the beginning of the trail. “Guau,” He said, shaking his head. “If you thought that, then you shouldn’t have come.”

            Paul left the duo behind as he strutted through the trail. He heard a pair of footsteps behind him. Smiling, he was relieved that they trusted him in spite of the circumstance. They arrived in the clearing a short while later. Alicia walked over to Paul immediately. “Finally,” Alicia declared. “We’ve been waiting for a half hour.”

            Paul noticed that the others were sitting on the boulders around the clearing. “Sorry, my students had doubts,” Paul responded, gesturing to the pair. “Everyone, come say hello to Ruby and Tiên.”

            Tae seemed to teleport to Paul’s side. “Tiên?” He exclaimed, looking pale.

            “Amber!” Tiên said, equally incredulous. “You look so different! I haven’t seen you in forever.”

            “We can talk about it later,” Tae replied. “And it’d be better if you call me Tae.”

            Tiên’s eyebrows scrunched up, looking down and nodding. “Okay,” She said quietly.

            Theo and Q walked to them as Alicia held out a hand to shake. “Hiya, I’m Alicia,” She greeted. “She/her.”

            “Theo,” Theo said, offering his hand when the girls were available. “He/him.”

            Q stepped up next, holding out their arms for a hug. “Q, they/them.”

            Tiên awkwardly accepted the hug before Ruby definitively stuck out her hand for Q to shake. “And Tae,” Ruby said, pointing at him with a nod. “Cool, let’s get this s**t over with.”

            Paul drew the group to the center of the clearing. “Great,” Paul said. “Now, I had an idea on how both of you could practice your powers.”

            Everyone waited in silence as Paul tried to increase the suspense. Ruby rolled her eyes. Paul noticed and got on with it, “Ruby has super hard skin, so we should attack her. And if she gets injured, then Tiên can heal her.”

            Ruby nodded, stretching her arms. “Sure, bring it on,” She said, shaking out her shoulders.

            Tiên looked less confident, but nodded. Q excitedly raised their hand. “Me first!”

            Ruby squared up as Q got close. They placed a hand on Ruby’s shoulder and shut their eyes. They transformed, their form squashed and their skin darkened. They finished off their little transformation sequence by flexing Ruby’s arms. “What the f**k!” Ruby said, jumping back.

            “Don’t worry, it’s just their power,” Paul said, trying to reassure her.

            Ruby shook her head, taking in her cheerful clone. “That’s f*****g creepy.”

            Q looked to Paul and back to Ruby. “I’m sorry, I wanted to see if your power transfers,” They muttered in Ruby’s growly voice.

            Ruby took a deep breath and gathered herself. “It’s chill, let’s keep going,” She said, trying to sound calm.

            Ruby got into a fighting stance as Q punched her. Ruby laughed and Q tried again, smacking her square in the face. Ruby head whipped to the side. It slowly turned back, revealing the smile on her face. “Nothing,” She said.

            Q beamed. “Do me,” They said, gesturing to their abdomen.

            Ruby socked them in the stomach. Q had to take a step back from the force. But, it was a pain-free push. “Wow! Man, that is so cool!” They exclaimed.

            They skipped over to Paul and transformed into him. “Ahora,” They mimicked, going so far as to put their hands together like him. “We take turns. Who would like to go first?”

            Paul laughed as Alicia stepped up. Alicia pulled a piece of copper wire out of her pocket. Holding it in her palm, she whispered to it. It transformed into a tear-shaped blade. She sent it on its way with a command, “Cut.”

            It flew at Ruby. And bounced off her arm. Ruby showed off her cut hoodie with a chuckle. “Man, did Mr. Rosa tell you that I withstood bullets? Try harder.”

            Smirking, Alicia moved back and allowed Paul to try. Paul unbuttoned his shirt. Ruby raised her hands defensively. “What are you doing?” She asked baffled.

            Paul wrapped the button-up around his waist and showed Ruby his scythe tattoo. Summoning it, he charged at Ruby. He swung it horizontally at her arm. She flinched, bringing her arms up to protect her face. It rebounded off her arm as if Paul was striking cement. “Damn man, you’re going to give me a heart attack!” Ruby shouted before punching him in the shoulder.

            “Ow!”

            He furiously rubbed the spot, letting his scythe fade away. Paul meet the gaze of Tae. Resisting the urge to blush, he jerked his head at Ruby. Tae nodded, replacing him in front of Ruby. He rubbed his hands together and touched Ruby. Ruby raised an eyebrow, unaffected. Tae looked at Paul who raised his thumb, telling him to crank it up.

            Tae took a few steps back, breathing deeply. He raised a hand, feeling the tingly energy flood into his hand. He tried to pull back on it in his mind and reduce the energy. Exhaling, he let go. Lightning jolted out of his hand and struck Ruby.

            It diffracted off Ruby after setting her clothes on fire. “Out!” Alicia ordered quickly.

            The flames extinguished, leaving the front of Ruby’s hoodie charred. “Jesus, f**k,” Ruby commented, coughing and swiping smoke out of her face.

            Tae grimaced, stepping closer. “Sorry, are you okay?” He said.

            Ruby brushed at her hoodie, ash falling off. Her dark t-shirt was visible through the damage. “I’m fine, but my f*****g hoodie isn’t.”

            Theo walked over, wrapping a supportive arm around Tae. “Don’t worry,” Theo said. “Alicia can probably fix your hoodie but let me try my power first.”

            Ruby nodded with a scowl and Tae ducked out from under Theo’s arm. Tae hid beside Paul who whispered something to him. Calmly, Theo held up a lit-up hand and blasted Ruby.

            She fell backwards. Theo worriedly rushed to her. Kneeling beside her, he checked her pulse. Alicia and Tiên hovered, watching over his shoulder. The blow wasn’t direct, yet it disintegrated the layers of clothes covering her left shoulder. “F**k!” She gasped, her eyes flickering open.

            She sat up slowly. “Damn man,” She said, punching him. “You pack a punch.”

            He smirked. Clasping their hands together, he helped her up. She rubbed her shoulder with a groan. “Sorry,” Theo said, unable to hide his chagrin.

            He went to Paul who quietly reassured him. Alicia patted Ruby’s arm while Tiên looked on with some concern. “Repair,” Alicia ordered.

            The fabric of the hoodie spread to the gap in her sleeve. The black char fell aside as new red fabric formed. In seconds, the hoodie was brand new. Smiling ear to ear, Ruby thanked her. Paul walked over, clapping. “Well, it seems we can’t put a scratch on you,” Paul declared proudly. “So, I guess we’ll have to practice Tiên’s powers a different way.”

            Ruby flexed, smirking. She good-naturedly nudged Tiên, much to her surprise. “I’m sure we can figure something out,” Ruby responded.

            Tiên looked at her hands. “I don’t want anyone to get hurt just so I can use my power,” She said.

            “We can try it on something else,” Paul said, striding over to the edge of the clearing.

            The group followed with Tiên in the front. He stopped by a pine, summoning his scythe. Swiftly swing it down, Paul cut the tree. He dropped the scythe into nonexistence and bade Tiên closer. “See if you can heal other living things,” Paul instructed.

            Tiên placed her hands on the gash. She felt grossed out by sap oozing out of it. She closed her eyes and breathed out. Opening her eyes, she watched the sap turn into woody tissue and slowly become bark. She looked at Paul and smiled. “Nice,” Paul said warmly.

            Paul moved a few feet over to a bush-sized boulder. He waved Alicia over and said something to her. She pointed to the boulder, whispering. It split in half. “Let’s see if you can ‘heal’ inanimate objects as well.”

            Tiên went to the boulder, replicating her previous pose. Focusing on the cold, mossy surface, Tiên willed it to heal. She opened her eyes and saw it was unchanged. She frowned. She tried again to no effect. “Aw, it’s okay,” Paul said, trying to assure her. “It would have been useful.”

            Smiling, Tiên shook her head. “I don’t mind,” She replied. “I would rather help out living things.”

            Ruby stepped up to help her. She picked up a maple leaf from the ground and tore it in half. Handing it to Tiên, she said, “Try healing this.”

            Tiên cupped it in her hands with her eyes squeezed shut. She healed it. Taking it back, Ruby ripped it to bits. She poured the remains into Tiên’s palm. She pressed her hands together and opened them to reveal an intact leaf. Ruby snatched it back with a huff. Pulling out a lighter, she burned a hole in the leaf. She shoved it into Tiên’s hands and watched in awe as the leaf repaired itself. “I’ll be damned,” Ruby said, patting Tiên’s shoulder so hard she dropped the leaf.

            Looking at the others applauding, Tiên grinned awkwardly as Paul mentioned, “We could use you if we get injured on our patrol.”

             “I can’t go on patrol with you,” Tiên replied immediately. “I’m very busy with school.”

            Paul waved away the thought. “That’s okay,” Paul said. “We could take our injured to you though, you wouldn’t have to go on patrol with us.”

            Tiên’s brow furrowed, unsure. Paul didn’t notice it as he turned to Ruby. “Would you be interested in patrolling with us?”

            She scoffed. “Hell no,” Ruby answered. “I have my own patrolling to do.”

            Paul nodded, thoroughly unsurprised. “Alright,” He said. “I guess we’re done for tonight. See you guys next week.”

            Ruby glared at him for the briefest of seconds before turning to Tiên and leaving the clearing with her. Theo touched Paul’s shoulder before walking away. Alicia went to Paul, her smile almost imperceptible. “Solid finds,” She commented. “They aren’t interested in being heroes, but it’s nice to see that they want to practice and control their powers, though I guess Ruby’s is innate…”

            “Yeah!” Q interjected, their excited tone fitting with Paul’s voice. “I was surprised that I picked up her power. Her body didn’t feel any different from your guys’.”

            Nodding, Paul rubbed his chin. “I think it’s interesting,” He said before turning to Alicia. “Give it some time and I’m sure you can get a sample of their DNA without weirding them out.”

             Alicia laughed. “Okay,” She replied. “Hey Q, you want to walk home with me?”

            “Absolutely!” Q exclaimed, linking their arm with hers.

            They gave Paul their goodbyes and left. Paul noticed that Tae stayed behind. “Hey, what’s up?” Paul asked, trying not to be sheepish as Tae got closer.

            Tae tilted his head to the side, suggesting that they walk and talk. They headed to one of the trails. They walked side by side on the narrow trail, occasionally bumping shoulders. A few meters in, Tae answered, “I figured you wanted to talk.”

            Paul cleared his throat. “About what?”

            “About Tiên.”

            “Oh,” Paul responded, partly relieved. “I would say I’m a curious Curley, yeah, so I’d love to know about you guys, but I didn’t want to pry.”

            Tae smiled wryly. “Tiên’s my cousin,” He explained. “I haven’t seen her in… seven or eight years. Basically, since I came out.”

            “Oh, I’m sorry. She seems like a lovely kid.”

            “Yeah, I’d say she’s my favorite relative.”

            There was a lull in the conversation, but Paul knew where it was heading. He inhaled, gathering up his confidence. “Does she know?”

            Tae sighed. “I doubt it.”

            “Are you going to tell her?”

            “I should, right? If she’s going to be back in my life, as little as it is, she deserves the truth.”

            “As her counselor, I could help her through the process,” Paul said before mentally kicking himself. “I mean, I want her to understand it and you know, like you, but I… don’t want to overstep boundaries.”

            Tae met Paul’s gaze, making his face warm, as Paul stared at his glassy dark eyes. Tae smiled, deciding it. “I’ll tell her, but I hope she comes to you with questions. You seem to be one of the best allies I’ve ever met.”

            Paul covered his cheeks with his hands to hide his ever-reddening face. “Aw, thank you,” He said. “I try, and I could definitely be better, pero gracias.”

            Tae smiled, amused by his embarrassed behavior. “You’re very humble,” Tae commented.

            Paul shook his head rapidly. He replied, “No, I’m an arrogante persona who sometimes knows my limit.”

            Tae’s mellow laugh filled the woods. “I’ve never heard you laugh,” Paul said with an awestruck chuckle. “It’s nice.”

            Tae looked away and quietly replied, “Thanks.”

            Paul grinned, staring at his feet. They walked in silence until they reached the gate of the park. “I guess I’ll see you during our next patrol,” Paul said.

            Tae quickly stepped forward, wrapping his arms around Paul. He rested his chin on Paul’s shoulder as Paul hugged him back. Tae let go, holding back a smile. “I’ll see you around,” Tae responded.



© 2019 Marcel Darrow


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on May 18, 2019
Last Updated on May 18, 2019