Nightfall City, ch1 interlopers

Nightfall City, ch1 interlopers

A Chapter by Markmage99
"

zombie appocalipse, sounds fun :)

"

 

            Jessica Claire pulled at the cords to the hood of her black hoodie. It was cold here in the city, but the chill was nothing she wasn’t used to. Claire checked her watch, 1 hour till nightfall. She’d have to move quickly. In front of her she could see two newcomers; a boy and his father it seemed. There were about 2 miles between Claire and the two vagrants, but the scope on her riffle made that distance nothing.

            Sighing, she disassembled her weapon and packed it in the suitcase on the table beside her. There was no avoiding it; those newcomers were in for a rude awakening. Claire brushed those thoughts aside; it was her duty, nothing more. This building she lived in still had electricity and �" more importantly �" lighting. Claire stepped off the observation deck and went on to call the elevator. The cell phone sitting on her belt clip vibrated: probably Dan wanting a status. The elevator doors opened; as she stepped inside Claire whipped the phone side-ways to slide it open. Yep, it was Dan alright.

            Instead of a status request there were just two words: Call me. So, he’d noticed. Claire decided she had no choice; Dan was the boss after all. The phone rang three times before Dan picked up. “What should I do?” she asked referring to the newcomers. “They might have information. These are the first ones we’ve had in weeks.”

            After a slight pause Dan replied, “Can you make it?” She pictured him frowning with worry. Dan always worried for her, and she really didn’t see why.

            “Most likely.”

            On the other end Dan sighed, “Fine, just make sure you make it back before night, and if the Chains try to approach you then let ‘em have it.” The Chains were the other gang at the other end of the labyrinth city. Ever since that first year in Nightfall city, the Chains and Links gangs had coexisted in mutual hatred. Claire personally didn’t care for the Chain’s attitude, but she didn’t really have any real reason to hate them. Still, she upheld her rule of thumb: he who shoots at you deserves to be shot at. So far that had never led Claire astray.

            The elevator doors finally opened, revealing an open lobby that at one time might have served the rich and luxurious of the New Age. Now it was merely her base of operations. Claire made her way across the long open room. She noticed that Roy and Sedgar, her two subordinates, weren’t back yet. Against her better judgment Claire whipped her cell phone open and dialed Roy’s number. Voicemail: “Hey, this is Roy. I’m busy, go eat cupcakes. �"Beep-”

            Claire rolled her eyes; Roy had a strange sense of humor. “Hey Roy, this is Claire. I’m picking up some newbie’s. If I’m not back in thirty, call Sedgar and organize a strike raze. Oh, and I don’t like cupcakes.” She hung up and stepped outside. No use worrying about those two, the sunlight was already starting to wane.

            Claire pulled the car keys out of her left side pocket, setting her weapons suitcase on the ground at the same time. She opened the case and stuck the key into the back of a combination lock that warded the bottom half of the case. Inside there were a six-shot long pistol and two thick knives with the balance in the tip. The top half was not locked for easy access. That was where Claire kept the pieces to her sniper riffle. Claire pulled out a knife and the pistol, strapping them to the left side of her belt.

            A cool breeze cut through Claire’s hoodie and the thin shirt underneath it.



© 2011 Markmage99


Author's Note

Markmage99
I'm not finished, but if you want I can let you know when I finish this chapter

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! I definitely would like to hear more form this! In a simple 3/4 paragraphs you made the setting really remarkable! I'd be interested in reading more if that's cool! Keep at it!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

207 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 17, 2011
Last Updated on November 27, 2011


Author

Markmage99
Markmage99

middle of nowhere, CA



About
I'm also on Deviant Art, but not all my work there is what I'd like to share with others. I'm using this site as a way to get some feedback. more..

Writing