The Fifteen Gates - Prey

The Fifteen Gates - Prey

A Chapter by NerKvaDova
"

Location : Gelbor Falls outskirts , Delita Prefecture Date : 17th of Sun's Peak , 354 - 3rd Era

"

A heavy layer of dust covered Mephta's clothing , his brow drenched in a nearly indistinguishable mix of sweat , dirt , oil and blood , he was never built for travel , most of his life being comfortable in the high halls of the Living tower , only brought down to perform missions for the Brotherhood , and even if he did need to travel he could just have the Mages teleport him to a singing stone , he wasn't born a nomad like most Silencers he was Prince , Spirits be damned . 
" Lord Mephta , we're nearing Gelbor , should I send one of the men to scout ahead ? make sure that the caravan is there ? " Sinbad asked 
" How many men do we still have Sinbad ? " he asked while pulling his breath back as to not show his exhaustion , five days on horseback , three hours of sleep in between , is this how the Nomads live ?
" Thirty by my last headcount , they be.... I mean they're eager to reach the caravan for supplies " 
" Alright... get our fastest rider to scout ahead , tell him to come back the moment he sees the back of the caravan , the moment he sees purple and gold run back " 
" Understood " Sinbad bowed and ran off to the rest of the men 

The poison took him apart so quickly , far too quickly , the runes tattooed around his body should have at least delayed the effects , but instead it felt like they worked against him , Morris root , or Magebane in Nomadic , a dangerous substance indeed . 
All of this was perplexing , but the strangest was how Armads fell so easily , a keep enveloped in walls of stone and sky steel frames would have resisted an onslaught before a crack would become apparent , yet it fell like it was made of sand , not counting the fact that over eighty Silencers were present that day made it all the more suspicious .
" A scout has been sent my lord , I sent Ezel , he should be able to catch up to the caravan in a day or so " Sinbad reported , pulling Mephta out of his deep thoughts .
" Sinbad how long did it take for the Mancarri to breach the gates ? " Mephta asked , his face in an unwelcoming scowl 
" They attacked on morning of the tenth and breached the southern gates in the middle of the night with their steam golems , the men held their troops there for the next few hours but they came in massive waves , by the end of the day they had pushed us back into the keep , half of the entire city under their control , on the eleventh they began burning the houses in the southern district , and on the twelfth the keep was overrun , the western gate was the only one close enough to successfully retreat through , Azir took command while you were sick , if not for him we might have been on spikes by sundown . " 
" Remind me to add an inscription in his honor when we get back to the tower , where was commander Rikke during all of this ? if I am gone he should be second in command " 
" Commander Rikke fell during the defense of the southern gates , along with Captain Lestat , Azir had to step in , everyone was in a panic the moment they reached the base of the keep , I wish I could have done more My Lord I'm sorry " 
" You kept me alive Sinbad , you've done plenty , I'm fine now but as a Scribe do not ever attempt to fight , you are not a warrior Sinbad , since Lestat is gone I am in need of a new Scribe , your courage touched my heart , take his place " Mephta said as he rode back onto his horse .
" Make sure the men are making camp well , I'll attempt to contact my sister , she should be able to send aid once we're connected with the caravan " 
" Yes my lord " Sinbad bowed .
Mephta rode off , stopping close to a nearby river and dismounted , leading the horse to the river he pulled his blade out and slit it's throat over the water , his eyes glowing a bright purple while the horse tried to pull away from him , desperately trying to run from his fate , but Mephta wouldn't budge , and as quickly as the blade glided so quickly did the Horse's will to live dissipate . 
The horse was now a limp corpse and in front of Mephta stood its soul , ready to make a journey down river , straight to the coastal city of Frelia , directly to Sayuri , if the horse makes it in time , a singing stone should be brought by a rider , and all of this would be over and done with . 
" Bring these words to Sayuri Delita , the river will guide you to your destination , once you've delivered it you will pass on " Mephta ordered and as the bound the horse obeyed , galloping down the river , a specter of blue that ran as fast as the wind . 
" Great , now I have to walk back " 
Mephta's thoughts ran again of how Armads fell , it's defenses weren't as capable as Centrum or as well manned as Frelia , but he had enough footmen to at least guard it capably , not to mention the Silencers living within the keep , granted most were scribes , but sixty-five capable battle mages would have been enough to sustain the defense for at least a week , yet they fell within a day .
Something was wrong , and the only way to find out what it was is by reaching the Living Tower as soon as possible , get the scribes under his care to safety , take as many men as Mother would permit , and take Armads back ,burnt down to ash or not it's his land , by right as Fourth Prince , that land was an extension of himself , someone was to have their head on a spike once he was done .
" My Lord ! Ezel came back , the Caravan was delayed a few days ago due to a storm , we can reach them by nightfall " Sinbad reported , his voice cracking from being winded , he ran nearly halfway to where Mephta performed the ritual . 
" Tell the men to pack up , and catch up with them as soon as possible , also I'll have to ride with you on the way there , my horse gave out before reaching the river poor thing must have been exhausted " 
" Very well sir I'll saddle up " 


© 2020 NerKvaDova


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

15 Views
Added on May 27, 2020
Last Updated on May 27, 2020
Tags: Adventure, Magic, Combat


Author

NerKvaDova
NerKvaDova

Manila, NCR, Philippines



About
I make stories inspired by various role plays me and my girlfriend think up in our free time , ranging from the normal heroic journey to the downright insane wars for a dead prince's tea cup that was .. more..

Writing
Arabesque Arabesque

A Chapter by NerKvaDova