[untitled]

[untitled]

A Chapter by Mary Katherine

Prologue


 


 

She had never felt fear like this. She, being what she was, had never actually felt fear, not in a very long time. She tried to clear her head, but the yelling of the villagers outside quickened her breath and shook her body. Many of her servants seemed to run in circles around her, while few others stayed loyally by her side. Then the pounding started. From the noise and the quaking of her castle walls, it seemed that some of the men of the village where trying to break down her doors. “What shall we do your ladyship?” The question seemed to drift around her in the darkness of her own home. She did not even know whose voice it was that had spoken to her. “The only thing we can do,” she replied fiercely. The people around her smiled darkly. “No! No, I do wish to harm them, only to talk to them. To talk them out of this madness.” She looked around her, at the people who had served her so diligently. “I want you all to leave. I know that when fear takes over, the human mind and body goes to great lengths to destroy the being causing their fears, even if it is a friend. If they do not listen, which I suspect they wont, I want you, my friends, to be safe. Go now, as Lady Katherine of Mayehaven, I demand it!”


 

She ordered the doors opened to the storm of hate outside. The men who had been ramming the door stumbled in. A look of terror sat on each and every one of their faces. Everything was silent. She walked past the men in their frozen states of fear and out into the night. With every step her confidence grew. With every step the crowd receded from her. Finally she stopped and looked at the people before her. Every single one of them she had personally known and loved. Her eyes seemed to blaze as red as the hair on her head or the torches in many of the people’s hands. “My friends, I have done nothing to you and do not deserve this. Why are you here?”

“Friends?” An old woman spat at her. “How dare you call yourself our friend?”

“Murderer!” someone yelled.

“No! Stop this! I am no murderer,” her ladyship yelled.

“Then were is my daughter? Do you know? She is in her grave! At only seven years of age. Two fang marks on her neck and not drop of blood left in her body!”

“I am sorry for your losses, but they are not my fault. I have never raised a finger to anyone in this town except to help in a time of need. I have kept you all alive. Why would I kill you? I have made sure you all have always had food on your tables, livestock in your barns, and friends at you doors. Is that a crime?” A priest stepped forward; he had been picked by the village elders to speak for them.

“Your ladyship, there are many charges put against you. Among them there is murder and thievery, but the worst is vampirism. You have a few moments to leave this village or the consequences will be dire. We do realize how much you have done for this village, which is why we give you this chance to leave.”

“I will not be run out of my own house.”

“Is this you decision?”

“It is.”

“Then I am sorry.”


 

Two men seized her by her arms while others went inside in search of any servants left. They too, would be charged with vampirism. As a new day dawned, Lady Katherine watched as her servants were beheaded, burned, and staked through the heart. Each was a suitable death for a vampire. She watched as her belongings were thrown onto fires. She cried as they blamed her and her innocent servants for death and destruction she had no hand in.


 

 


 

Chapter One


 


 

“Well, Lady Katherine, here is the deeds to the castle. I hope you enjoy your knew home,” the young man said. He was around the age of twenty. His dark hair and dark eyes shined in the candle light of the murky hall.

“ It hasn’t changed a bit,” The young woman stated.

“ Pardon, but have you been here before?”

“ No. From what I have read in my late Aunt Katherine’s journals it doesn’t seem as though it has changed.”

" Why did she leave?" He should have left by now. He knew that, but the history of the old castle and her family intrigued him. Partly because it was something new to learn and partly because no one in the town would talk about it.

" Don't you know?" She seemed surprised. It was the first time she actually looked at him, as well. He noticed how cold her eyes were. They didn't seem to fit with her beautiful face. " My aunt was a great part of this town's history. I never thought her memory would be forgotten."

" Well, I don't know if it is forgotten, but it sure isn't talked about. Do you have any idea why?" She did, but she just looked at him. She was trying to decide what kind of person this Mr. Roberts was. She watched him grow uneasy under her gaze for a moment more.

" Is there any belongings of hers that survived?"

"Survived?"

" Mr. Roberts you do ask too many questions."

" I must be going. It is getting late, and it is bloody hard to walk down the path to the town at night. Good Evening Lady Katherine."

" Perhaps once I am settled in you would like to hear about the history of my family. It seems to interest you." He smiled, bowed, and opened one of the great doors. He walked out only to be shoved back in by a young women.

" Your Ladyship!" She ran over and bowed at Katherine's feet. " I have waited years for your 'family's' return. I came here as soon as I heard. I want you to know that there are still people here who serve you." She grinned. Mr. Roberts was still standing by the open door. He had never seen that young women before, but how could he not? It was a small town. Everyone knew everyone.

 

" My name is Celest. Is there anything I can do for you? Something to drink?" Celest grinned. Her faced unnerved Mr. Roberts.

" Come back in the morning if you are intent on staying here."

"Of course, your ladyship." Getting up from her knees, she said, " I will bring others as well, your ladyship." Then  she turned and left as quickly as she had come.

" Well, Goodnight again Mr. Roberts." Lady Katherine turned and walked up the large stair case that took up most of the enterance hall. She turned the corner and was out of site. It occured to Roberts that if she had not been there before, how could she know where she was going? He shut the great doors and started his walk to the town. She was a strange woman. A beautiful, but strange woman.

 



© 2008 Mary Katherine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on February 26, 2008


Author

Mary Katherine
Mary Katherine

SC



About
Hi hi! My name is Mary Kate or Mary Katherine. My friends and family call me katie bug or ktbug for short. I will respond to any of them ;) So, about me.... well, I have always loved to read and I gue.. more..

Writing
robot robot

A Poem by Mary Katherine