The End?

The End?

A Chapter by Matryoshkan

I decided to check out the pharmacy. It was a lot bigger than I thought. There was an upstairs but it was empty so I decided to claim this area as my own by falling asleep.

 

When I woke up, my head was feeling a lot better so I removed my bandage. I was prepared for a sting and a blood soaked bandage but when I looked at it, it was clean. I walked up to a window to look at my reflection. All I had was a small cut across my forehead which was already scabbed. This made me wonder why there was so much blood on my apartment floor when I fell.

 

A chill came over me and I was urged to turn around. On the other side of the room was the same man expressionless man that has been coming into my apartment when ever I was alone. I thought I was safe here but apparently I was wrong. He wasn't along this time. He had a little girl chained to him. Her eyes were bloodshot and her blonde hair was all matted. It looked like she was infected.

 

The man started walking closer while whispering to the little girl. She lifted her dress up to her knees to show me her legs. They were covered in soars and oozing a white puss. It was disgusting and made me take a step back. Tears started to roll down her face but the man licked them away.

 

I bolted down the stairs not daring to look back. I slammed myself against the main entrance, I needed out but I couldn't even make a scratch.

 

"Hey! What's the matter!?" Lucas yelled as he came running over.

"He's here and he brought someone infected with him!" I cried

"Whose here? And he brought someone in that has Thanatos?"

"Thanatos? Is that what it's called?"

"Ahh! Just stay here!"

 

When he made it to the top of the stairs, he stopped.

"Nobody is up here." he said

Nobody.. Someone has to be there. I couldn't have made something like that up. It was so real.

"Just come down. Hurry. They probably escaped." I said

 

He quickly ran down, skipping each step. He grabbed his bag and headed towards the window we used to come inside. Everything was so different outside. The streets were empty and the air was thick. I lifted my shirt to my nose. I didn't want to breathe this stuff in.

 

I turned to Lucas and asked, "How long was I asleep?"

He was looking for something in his backpack.

"About five days. You had been looking terrible lately so I let you sleep." he said

"Five days? That means we would be able to see a good amount of people who have Thanatos." I exclaimed

He took out a scarf that I could use to cover my mouth and nose and a gasmask out for himself. Of course he would use this opportunity to use that thing.

"Yea. We were told to burn the bodies of the dead but some people want to start killing the infected." He said this like it was nothing.

 

A bright red car passed by. Inside were two children and a crying baby. They held a sign that read "Then End is Here". I wish I didn't notice that the parents were both  wearing shades on this gloomy day. It was obvious they were hiding their eyes.

 

Everything started to sink into me. I grabbed Lucas' arm to steady myself and we started walking. I just wanted to forget about all of this. I use to always joke around, pretending that I was dying or that the world was ending but now it could all become a reality. A wave of nausea came over me. I felt Lucas's muscles tense and the hairs on the back of his neck rose. Even the pigeons also seemed to notice. That was when they all started walking towards us in a strange pattern.

 

We were surrounded in less than a minute. I didn't know what to do. Could I just run through them how I usually do? No, there were different. They gave out a bad aura. Suddenly, a man all dressed in white came out from behind a tree. Lucas nudged me and my mouth dropped open.

"Sam?" I asked

He started chuckling.

"It's okay you guys. They are fine. I know these people. They are my friends." He said to the pigeons.

The "s" sounded more like a "z" on the word friends but it made the pigeons back off. 

 

 



© 2012 Matryoshkan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on November 5, 2012
Last Updated on November 5, 2012
Tags: Bones of an elephant man, part one, science fiction, pandemic, world ending, pigeons