Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Mercer
"

This is the last chapter for 3-1-18. Comment what you guys think, and what should be changed, and when I should continue writing.

"

The next few days were nothing but a blur, just snippets of family and doctors. When I finally came to, I was in a bed, my bed, someone had cleaned my room. I looked at the old chair in the corner of my room, to see that girl. I didn't even know her name yet. I finally took a minute to observe her. An angular face, with thin lips, and the kind of beauty that goes unseen by most. I got a glass of water off of my bed stand, I drained the whole glass near instantly. I moved my covers and looked at my shirtless body. I'm not crazy fit or anything, just thin, but lean. Years on my grandpa's farm kept me in shape.

I went to get up, but fell on the ground, causing a big thud and an explosion of pain through my body. The girl woke up and saw me on the floor. “Come on idiot, you already almost died for me, I don't want you in any worse condition.” She helped me up and I saw her arms, covered in scrapes and bruises. I decided I would let her tell me when she was ready. I asked what happened to me.

She started to explain, tears springing from her eyes, and rolling down her cheeks. “The car came and hit you, you flipped over the car and rolled on the pavement.” I grabbed her shoulders and pulled her into a hug. “I'm so sorry you had to see that.”

She recoiled “You’re sorry? it's my fault you got hit by a freaking car! All the more reason for me to go back to the bridge. You should have let me fall. I just bring pain and misery to everyone around me, everywhere I go. You don't even know my name yet, and you got yourself hit by a car for me.”

“That's exactly my point, you are meant to live. I see something in you, something amazing. Like a fallen angel, looking for a way back to heaven. I saw you, I knew you were in trouble, so I helped. I saved your life, and I don't care what it costs. If you go back to the bridge, I will follow you again.” I sat up and felt my stomach. “What happened? Anything broken?”

She scoffed “That's an understatement. You have 3 broken ribs and 27 stitches. If the car had been going any faster, you wouldn't have survived. You barely lived as it is. Thank you, for saving my life, now we see how long it lasts.” She lifts her sleeves and shows me her arms. Then she quickly pulls them down and crosses her arms quickly. “I should tell your mom you’re up.”

She hurried out of the room and I heard her talking to my mom, I quickly threw on a shirt. I heard the stairs creaking as they climbed back up. I stood up as they entered the room. Leaning on the wall, clutching my stomach. My mom came in quickly, saw me standing and put her hands on her hips. I’m stubborn, more so than even Mom. I always won these silent battles. I remained standing. “How long have I been asleep?”

My mom started going on about how the doctors kept me doped up for a week and a half. She said that the girl showed up today, before the drugs were supposed to wear off. It was the general mom spiel after that. She left after talking for a while, saying she wanted to give the girl some time to let her thank me.

The girl walked in and sat on the bed. “You know how you said something about ‘A fallen angel’? My name is Angel Mercer. Kinda ironic, huh? The fallen part is definitely right, as you have seen. Thanks again. I really do appreciate the effort, even though it will probably end up having been a waste. Why did you have such an interest in me?”

“I don't know, just saw you and thought I had to follow you, i'm telling you now. I wouldn't have changed a thing. Today is Saturday if my memory serves me well. You wanna hang out? The company will be nice, for both of us.”

“Sure, what do you have to do here anyway?” she answered with brighter eyes.

“Well, i've got Video Games, TV, Music, we can always go for a walk too.”

“What games have you got?”

I smiled “I like your choice, i've got just about everything imaginable. Pick your poison.”

“Do you have Fable?”

“Yup, I like the more fantasy style games too, I like getting into the story.” I move to the PlayStation and power it up, then I fall in the chair waiting for her to come sit next to me. I look back and she was crying. I struggled to stand up, moving to her.

“You're safe here, I promise. Nobody is going to hurt you . Just come play the game, it will take your mind off of everything else.” We move back and sit down, then we start playing. The fantasy adventure taking our minds off of everything, we both become enveloped in the story, losing ourselves so much that we don't notice my mom yelling for us until she was in my room.

“Hey, I never caught your name hun”

“I'm Angel. He saved my life that night, I almost got hit by a car and he pushed me out of the way.” Not exactly what happend, but the devil is in the details.

“Sam has always put others first, he would sooner die than let someone else hurt. Which seems to have almost happened.”

I spoke up “You know me, you mind if she spends the night? I know the rules, but I did save her life. I was thinking she could take my bed, and I would crash on the couch.”

After a few seconds of the usual mom look, she spoke. “Fine, but you are staying downstairs all night.”

“Thanks mom. We're gonna keep playing for a while, What's for dinner?”

“I'm making BBQ pork.” Then she walks out, leaving the door open just a little.

“Cool, my mom's BBQ pork is the best.”

We went back to the game, beating it in the next few hours. After we beat the game we put on some tv and just hung out till dinner time. We went downstairs. Mom made homemade BBQ sauce, Fresh baked buns, the works! We sat and ate, along with the normal conversation topics, like school, and work, or the next closest holiday. my mom made sure to ask how I was feeling.

“Way better, a calm day of gaming always make me feel good. We found some really goofy bugs in it too. Hey Angel, remember when the enemy glitched out and just spun like a ballerina?”

She smiled “Yeah, that was hilarious, remember when the blunderbuss sound effect got stuck on repeat?”

“That was freaking amazing. We gotta start playing more games together. Probably gonna have to wait till tomorrow though”

Mom butted into the conversation “You guys can keep playing. I don't want you two on the bed together, I will be checking.”

“Don't worry mom, there won't be anything going on.” I brought our plates to the sink. “What do you wanna play next?”

She responded “I dunno, what do you recommend? Your choice.”

“That’s gonna be a game called ARK. It's a cool survival game with dinosaurs and stuff.” I go to my cupboard and grab some snacks and drinks. We got upstairs with our snacks, I turned the console on. We loaded into the game and immediately got killed by a pack of raptors. We played this until about 2 in the morning then decided to go for a walk around town, obviously without asking. I brought a pocket knife with me just in case. This neighborhood was filled with bad people. We went by the gas station, then heard some guys behind us. We began walking faster towards home, but they were catching up. There's no way I would be able to fight them with broken ribs and stitches.

I started talking under my breath. “Angel, do you remember where my house is?” She nodded. “Good, when we round this corner, I want you to hide in the bushes to our left, I'm gonna lead them away.”

“No way, you'll never outrun them, not with your injuries.”

“Too bad, Do it, better me get hurt than you.”

“Fine” Then she pulled me in close and hugged me. I started hobbling off after the turn. Making sure they see me. I struggle through backyards, climbing a wall. Then I fell and felt a stitch almost break. I kept limping off. Waiting to turn a corner and see them. Then I heard Angel scream. I used the roads and started running as fast as my broken body could carry. I saw them, I saw one of them punch Angel to the ground. The primal rage I felt made me forget my wounds all together. I charged the one who punched her, slamming my shoulder into his kidney. Then I pounded on his face with both hands, until his friends, both of them pulled me off of him. He just sat there, bleeding, unconscious. I got an arm free and swung the knife, nicking one's chin.

I shouted “Take him and leave. if I ever see you again, I won't stop.”

They backed off, and dragged their friend into the darkness. I turned and helped Angel up. Then we started walking home. About a block from home I started getting dizzy. I looked down and realized a few stitches had broken open. My shirt was soaked. “Ang… 911” Then I fell on the road. I stood up and leaned on a telephone pole. I heard the sirens. I started swaying, then I felt an arm under my shoulder. They led me into a truck. When did the ambulance get here? They put a mask on me, and I fell asleep. I woke up with a strange feeling of Déjà vu

. Which is understandable. This is the same room I saw in my little flashes after the car, with the same doctors. When I finally came back to reality, Angel was sitting in the chair. This time in the hospital room. When I woke up she came over, slapped me, then hugged me.

“You idiot. Why do you let yourself get hurt for me? This is the second time you've saved my life. One day i'm going to have to repay the favor.”

“You can, by staying alive yourself.” I pointed to her arms. “No more of that. if you ever feel that way, come to me. My door is always open, well my window, but close enough. My door is always open for some gaming too. It's nice having someone to play with. What day is it?”

“Its sunday morning. it's been about 7 hours. i've been sleeping for 5 of it.”

I furled my brow “you need more sleep, and I'm going to school tomorrow.”

“You really shouldn't, you need some rest.”

“No, the best thing for me now is some normalcy. And maybe I will see those guys again.” I looked at my hands, seeing the blood smears and raw muscle underneath. “I'd hate to see the other guy.”

Angel clenched her jaw and darted her eyes to the right.

“What.”

“That guys in the next room over, you almost put him in a coma. They have a 24 hour watch on him so he doesn't choke on his own tongue.”

“With what he was about to do, do you really judge me for it?” I started to stand up, then she pushed me back on the bed. This is when I noticed the black eye.

“You are staying here. You are going home tonight and sleeping in your own bed. “

“How about you crash at my house, one of us on the bed, the other in a chair.”

“Maybe, I would have to get some clothes first. That won't be an issue. Only if you take the bed.”



© 2018 Mercer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Where you left off was a bit of a cliff hanger and not really an ending for a complete chapter, but I really love it. I can tell what your hobbies are outside of writing just by what you wrote. I love the characters already. To be completely honest, I find Angel very relatable, she's a lot like me in a few ways. I can't wait to see where this story goes, I really do look forward to it. Keep writing :) I personally would love a back story of the two main characters, too.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Mercer

6 Years Ago

The end of the chapter was meant to be a nice happy cliff hanger. Leaving off on a happier note.
read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
1 Review
Added on March 2, 2018
Last Updated on March 2, 2018


Author

Mercer
Mercer

warsaw, NY



About
I am an Aspiring poet, looking to get some feedback on my work. :) -Mercer more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Mercer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Mercer