a warmer fleece

a warmer fleece

A Poem by Mockingbird

swept along
with the rest, i sigh
resigned to be herded.

one among them
i go unnoticed yet sought
by those who seek the solace
of a warmer fleece.

the wool can't hide their hungry eyes

as the First takes my heart
i watch the wolves above
circling their prey

© 2014 Mockingbird


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You're really exceptional here Mockingbird . Finally I really have felt your real prowess . Just few words and yet its very rich with meaning . Well, folks that writes book . Poem is just a walk in the park . Such a well cut and polished gem . You write and put words like a flawless diamond . Your words are like jewels . Every letter words and lines and phrase are cut precisely like a diamond cutter would fashion araw gem from a quarry . Nothing is wasted and no room for error . Whew ! Its like I have been to a National Geographic Channel taping session . I'm so glad Icheck you out . Dont know why it took me that long .

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow, great poem! Love the imagery and the idea of being swept up in the herd, something we all are resigned to at some time or other. I like how you compacted so much thought into a short poem. It's always dangerous to be too different from the herd.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Interesting ohh. Thought provoking. I like where this is taking me. Train of thought. Or heard of thought in this case. Evoking the memory of a doco about Zebras crossing a crocodile infested river. The logic (according to the cameraman) is saftey in numbers: if you cross with a large enough heard, then stastitically speaking your less likely to get chomped. Yet when it comes to humans I think that if we isolate ourselves from society in a manner of speaking we can process reality differently and decide hey, well if we cross in a slightly different place in smaller quiter groups, then the lack of thrashing is far less likely to attract the attention of crocodiles in the first place. Our survivability goes up. We humans have that capacity to cross the flood in smaller quiter groups, but the vast majority still choose to herd and thrash around blindly and hysterically in a flood of mass hypnotism and just hope their neigbour gets eaten instead.

Posted 11 Years Ago


A capital F!! This added so much to the brilliance of the metaphor.

Posted 11 Years Ago


wanna see more here...makes me voracious if i spell correctly here

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a great poem, I wasn't sure what to expect from the title!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow, breathtaking poetry, MB, lovely. There's this calm before the storm feel to this poem...it flowed so well..it built up to this adrenaline rush type of intensity. Nicely done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Mysterious. Poetry at it's purest.

Posted 12 Years Ago


some of us wolves travel by ourselves...it's hard to bring down the big prey, but we usually okay...some prey like a loner

Posted 12 Years Ago


Love your use of metaphor here. The shorter poems are sometimes the best; I think when you open a door briefly, then close it, your readers are left with a lasting impression and a desire to see more.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

752 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 10, 2012
Last Updated on January 10, 2014

Author

Mockingbird
Mockingbird

NJ



About
i am a misanthrope. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Old Old

A Poem by Muse


Black Cats Black Cats

A Poem by Robin