Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Beatnick Club

The Beatnick Club

A Story by Mick November
"

A short story about a man who was the center of a counter culture social scene in the 1950's. This is the second rewrite.

"

 

  They sat at small circular tables looking like a bunch of art students acting out their parts in a college play. Each one was trying to establish himself or herself as a member of an underground social. They were mimicking the superficial exterior of a social class that they did not understand but wanted to be a part of, anyway. Each one was rebelling against an unknown social structure and, in turn, they were collectively and individually embracing counterculture. They smoked imported cigarettes not because they liked them, but because others did. The smoke from their French cigarettes mixed in the air of the coffee houses where they congregated with the smell of freshly brewed espresso and of dank and unwashed bodies. It was on odd mixture of smells that they learned to identify with as part of their own culture. In these coffeehouses, their place of congregation, a lone poet sometimes rambled on about nonsense to the tune of a lonely saxophone or sometimes the beat of a lonely bongo drum. The poet would speak of death, and of living, and of art as an expression of life. They would nod their heads in silent approval of the poet’s ramblings without understanding, truly understanding and feeling what was being said. Their superficial understanding was a mockery but they did not know this, or feel it.

They were taking their cues from their leader, their ringleader.

 

  The ringleader, if you could call him that, was a boy of 22 named Bill. He came from a well to do family. His father was rigid and closed off. His opinion was the only one that mattered and he impressed this on his son. He was a war veteran and acted as if he were still in the Army, always telling his son what to do and how to think. His father was the patriarch of the family and believed that it was his God given duty to provide his family with direction in life. His mother was a conformist whose sole mission in life was to maintain the family to her husband’s standards. She used alcohol to cope with the smothering influence of her husband. She was a closet alcoholic. Bill was their only son. His parents did not approve of the education system in the 1940’s and so they instilled in him their beliefs and ideology. They manipulated him and tried to control his every action and thought.

 

  Bill preferred to be called Will claiming it was a more artistic expression of his ‘inner’ self. Will always carried some odd beat generation book with him wherever he went, even to the bathroom. Will never went anywhere without his book. Often in mid conversation he would open up this book to some arbitrary page and begin reading aloud with all of the theatrics of a Shakespearean actor. He did this to gain the attention of the crowd around him and it worked. No one ever tried to relate what Will was reading to the conversation at hand. No one ever even noticed that when Will opened the book, he was always opening the book to the first page. Will’s opinion was the opinion of a God to the others in their motley social group. No one ever took notice to the fact that he was never actually seen reading any of these books. Will was, for all intents and purposes a philosophical God, and it was Will who introduced them to the culture of the beat generation. It was Will who told them what was in and what was out. He shaped them and influenced them to the point of telling what kinds of cloths fit their ‘scene’. 

 

  They shopped at used clothing stores recommended by will, looking for the ideal ‘look’ for their attire. Not their own look, but that of a sheep trying to conform to some invisible flock. Will was the shepherd and they were his flock. Sporting black turtlenecks, berets and black sunglasses, misquoting Jack Kerouak, Nolan Miller and Allen Ginsberg they were an expression of youth trying to ‘fit in’. Will decided for them what was in and what was out. Being hip was in and if you were not hip, you were square. Being a square was, in the eyes of Will, a fate worse than death. They were a motley group, looking like a bunch of vagabond ragamuffins and nothing more. They had a favorite place of congregation called ‘The mud hut’. It was ‘their’ place and it was the place. Full of other self-imposed exiles from mainstream America of the 1950’s, they met hear to listen to Will and his cronies talk of life, liberty, and the escape of the mentality of all those who were not part of their intimate circle: the squares.

 

  One Friday night Will arrived at his usual time at the Mud Hut with book in hand, and proceeded to slowly walk to his own personal table. His gait was slow and measured, more looking like a swagger in slow motion, and was intentionally so to catch the eye of others, but no one ever noticed this. A table was always set aside just for him on Fridays. This was done not because of his social popularity or power over the others, but for a more fundamental reason: Will’s table always generated sales for the Mud Hut and the owner knew this. A crowd gathered around the table and the usual competition to be a guest at Will’s table began. Each one of them presented Will with his or her reason to be seated at his personal table, and not one of the outer satellite tables. “I wrote a new verse to a poem, man, and if I can sit her I’ll turn you on to it” one young boy said as a stream of cigarette smoke drifted out through his nostrils. Another showed off a clay sculpture that looked like a Giraffe with one eye and only two legs calling it an expression of the modern man set to poetry, and yet another just played a slow melodic beat on a bongo drum while sticking his head forward and trying to make eye contact with Will.

 

  Tonight a young man named Brian was invited to sit at Will’s table. Brian’s social status jumped as he became the centerpiece of Will’s manipulative world. Brian had something that Will said would “change the whole scheme of things” and everyone crowded around to hear what it was. “Brian has been born, everybody” Will announced to the approval of all. “Brian is no longer dead, he has arrived and now lives” he continued. With that Will and Brian got up and went to the bathroom together. A common practice of Will’s was to go to the bathroom at the beginning of the evening, always coming out with a bit more of a measured strut. Will and Brian were in such a hurry to go to the bathroom that Will left his book on the coffee table, but no one noticed. Brian carried a book, too, and he took his with him, but no one noticed that either. They were all mesmerized by the fact that Brian had been born. Being born was an event that only Will could proclaim, and they all hoped for that yet did not really understand what it implied.

 

  A man with a short black beard came out in front of the small circular tables, and to the beat of a bongo drum began slowly chanting a poem he wrote. He finished the first verse and was about to start the second when a woman’s voice screamed from the back of the Mud Hut breaking the spell that everyone was under. Brian walked out of the mens room clutching a book to his chest and held onto it for dear life. He quickly made his way out the door of the coffee house and disappeared onto the street. Will was nowhere to be seen. A crowed quickly gathered around the door to the mens bathroom and a murmur began. As those seated at Wills table stood up to see what the commotion was about, somebody knocked Will’s book off of the table and onto the floor. It landed with an odd sound, as if it had been hollowed out, but nobody noticed. They were all waiting to see what the commotion was about and wondered where Will was.

 

  Hours later, after everyone had left and the coroner had done his job, the owner of the Mud Hut started cleaning up for the night. It had been a long and tiring night and he was ready to go home and ‘hit the sack’. As he swept the floor he found Will’s book still laying where it had landed hours earlier. He recognized the book as belonging to Will. He picked up the book and opened the cover. He stared in disbelief at what he saw before him: a bloodied syringe, some brown powder and a crumpled picture of his parents. Will had not arrived as he had thought. Will had departed.

 

© 2013 Mick November


Author's Note

Mick November
Please leave a review. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a promising story about the ambivalent "beat" generation. I agree that many of that ilk were simply parroting the "company line," dressing in the beat uniform and affecting mannerisms. You give Will a solid foundation by sketching out his family and its tightly controlled environment. Establishing himself as a figurehead in his little "beat" world, he can be seen by those not his thralls as a manipulator and a poseur. Midway through the story when describing his influence on others, there is some redundancy there. It is rather a rip in the fabric when Brian, unknown, unexplained, appears and takes the treasured seat at Will's table; it is a good thing that confuses the reader and piques the interest. Will's pompous announcement to the crowd and his trip to the bathroom with Brian in tow is a mystery. When Brian exits post haste, the reader is thrown into trying to figure out who Brian really is. The reader senses that Will has met his end, deservedly or not, so the owner's discovery of Will's book is a great climax, shining bright light on the real impetus in Will's life. This is a very good story. I sense another rewrite; I do countless rewrites. Nothing is ever finished. Good luck.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mick November

10 Years Ago

Wow - thanks for posting your comments. It's reviews yours and a few of the others that really help .. read more



Reviews

This is an interesting concept. There is some redundancy. I'm sure if you read it out loud you will catch it. I always read my poems and stories out loud in the editing stage. It helps a lot. I don't think the woman would be in the men's room to discover the dead body, unless she was an employee going in to clean the restroom. That kind of comes out of nowhere, and goes nowhere. When you describe a certain action, several times you write, "No one noticed." I don't think that works well. When the book lands on the floor, saying something like, a customer leaving accidently kicked the book under the table, lets you leave it there and it is implied that it is forgotten and unnoticed. Show don't tell, a very strong writing rule.
I would think his parents or specifically, his father would have instilled his beliefs and idealogy whether he liked the educational system or not. All parents tend to do that with their children.
With Brian being allowed to sit at Will's table, I take it he was Will's drug dealer. I think it might work better for him to leave quickly before anyone screams.
You have the makings of a good story, just needs a bit of work. Enjoyed reading.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mick November

10 Years Ago

This is the kind of criticism that brings writing to life. Thank you so much for your comments. I fe.. read more
Interesting that he person who sent this to me didn't review it. ?
Anyway. I would love to be taken further or is it farther or perhaps more deeply into this world. You hint at a type of cult here that is a departure from the normal "cult" presentation but is prevalent in social circles - that desire to belong. well penned.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mick November

10 Years Ago

I wrote this by accident one night, I've thought many times about expanding it when I have the time,.. read more
Another piece on criticism of society, I am loving it :) I got an F. Scott Fitzgerald vibe from this one. One thing though: there are certain phrases that you repeat, such as that Will told them "what was in and what was out" and you use the term "motley" when referring to their group several times close together. A thesaurus is always handy, as well as revision. Overall great write :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mick November

10 Years Ago

I hope to expand this when I have time. I've received several reviews that were very helpfull includ.. read more
This is a promising story about the ambivalent "beat" generation. I agree that many of that ilk were simply parroting the "company line," dressing in the beat uniform and affecting mannerisms. You give Will a solid foundation by sketching out his family and its tightly controlled environment. Establishing himself as a figurehead in his little "beat" world, he can be seen by those not his thralls as a manipulator and a poseur. Midway through the story when describing his influence on others, there is some redundancy there. It is rather a rip in the fabric when Brian, unknown, unexplained, appears and takes the treasured seat at Will's table; it is a good thing that confuses the reader and piques the interest. Will's pompous announcement to the crowd and his trip to the bathroom with Brian in tow is a mystery. When Brian exits post haste, the reader is thrown into trying to figure out who Brian really is. The reader senses that Will has met his end, deservedly or not, so the owner's discovery of Will's book is a great climax, shining bright light on the real impetus in Will's life. This is a very good story. I sense another rewrite; I do countless rewrites. Nothing is ever finished. Good luck.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mick November

10 Years Ago

Wow - thanks for posting your comments. It's reviews yours and a few of the others that really help .. read more
Well written story. Great job

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mick November

10 Years Ago

Thank you.
A nice piece, very well-written, I have no complaints or suggestions further than the woman's scream.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mick November

10 Years Ago

Thank you. I will be rewriting and expanding this piece soon. Again thanks.
I don't know what to say about this. Everything back then was nonesense, of course. I thnk ou need to explain the woman's scream and ther coroner a little bit more.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mick November

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your review. I'm still working on flushing out the scene a bit more. The woman's screa.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 1, 2013
Last Updated on July 2, 2013
Tags: beatnick

Author

Mick November
Mick November

Ocean Beach, San Diego, CA



About
Writing has always been an interest of mine. Writing is a form of self expression, art and most importantly therapy. It has become a passion for me in the last few years. I am an urban hermit and so .. more..

Writing
Mind Mind

A Poem by Mick November


Self Self

A Poem by Mick November



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Happy Pills Happy Pills

A Poem by Frieda P


Twenty four Twenty four

A Chapter by Pryde Foltz