The Spark (Prologue)

The Spark (Prologue)

A Chapter by Lost in Wonderland

  Grey clouds blanketed the sky as young, bewitching Othella Rivers meandered around the village edge, picking large, ruby apples from a low hanging branch. Every week, since she was ten, Othella had gathered fresh fruits for her mother’s pies that were famous throughout the community. It gave her a welcome change of air from the dull confines of her room since mother never allowed visitors or suitors to call on the girl.

    Plop, plop, plop. The last of her bounty fell into her basket signaling the end of her freedom. A touch of sadness entered her heart as she looked up at the clouds. This would be her last batch before the harsh winter overtook her town. Not ready to return to her dull, grey walls just yet, Othella wandered toward a nearby stream and bit into an apple. The sweet juices filled her mouth with a burst of flavor and she smiled. A cool, November breeze danced through her hair, only a taste of the cold nights to come. Closing her eyes, Othella took a deep breath and marveled at the beauty of that afternoon.

    A sharp scream pierced through her peaceful bubble. Othella started. She whipped her head around to see a monstrous blue flame engulfing her home. A weak gasp escaped her lips and her apple rolled out of her slack grasp. Without thinking, she rushed toward the chaos.

    As she reached the market square shock paralyzed her. A group of men on horseback invaded the town, swords and muskets raised. Massive black flags with the dictator’s Emblem flapped behind them. Woman ran to hide their children while men tried to fight back. Screams erupted throughout the once peaceful town. 

     “Othella!” The frightened girl turned and ran toward the familiar voice of her mother. She hurried inside their cottage to find it empty. Or so she though. Her mother kept calling, leading Othella down a set of dully lit stairs to the basement.

     Her mother’s was turned to her. She looked frantic, searching through drawers, flinging aside books and papers and quills. Othella grabbed her mother’s hand in mid air. Finally, Leone Rivers looked at her daughter. Sighing, she pulled Othella in to a strong embrace.

          “Mother, what’s going on?” Othella whispered. Leone didn’t answer. Instead, she pulled back quickly and crawled on the floor, probing floorboards now. After a moment she glanced up at her daughter.

          “Don’t just stand there like a dunce, get down and help me.”

          Ignoring the insult, Othella dropped to her knees and started searching for who knows what. The sounds of fighting drew steadily closer. A bead of sweat ran down Leone’s temple at the sound. She cursed under her breath and shot her hand up to grab a hammer off the desk. Like a wild animal, Leone growled and smashed through the floor. Othella watched in frightened silence. She’d never seen her mother so out of control.

          “Oh thank you Lord,” Leone exhaled, slumping against the wall and clutching a small object in her hands. Curiosity gently urged Othella forward. She took her mother’s hands in her own and parted her tight fingers.

          Inside was a small, lovely necklace. It was very little glass jar with a bluish black liquid moving inside. Othella’s jaw dropped. She had never seen anything so magical in her life. In microscopic, black scrip the phrase “virtute stellarum” was painted across the top.

          Leone looked into her daughters eyes with acute focus. “Inside this necklace is the essence of a star.” She spoke quickly and fiercely, willing Othella to understand. “It is very small, but holds unimaginable power. It has been passed passes though our family since the dawn of time. I’d hoped to give it to you for your 18th birthday, hoped to have time to teach you of its power. But it seems I don’t have a year to wait.” The invaders were so close now you could hear the clank of metal on metal. Leone stopped her explanation to lead Othella to the other side of the room. With a grunt, Leone flipped the desk over and pulled the two of them behind it.

          “Mother I don’t understand.” Othella whispered.

          A look of sadness pierced Leone’s eyes. She placed a tender hand on her daughter’s cheek, taking in the beauty of her for maybe the last time. “I know darling. This is not easy to believe. But you must try. Can you try?” Othella nodded. Leone smiled. “I knew you would. Rivers women are strong.

          “Othella, you need to wear this necklace; guard it with your life. In good, pure hands like yours it, this power can be used for good. But if Kind Leopold finds it…” her voice faded into all the possibilities of what could happen; the death, destruction, darkness. But she simply said, “It would not be good.”

          Leone stroked her thumb once over the glass once. It pained her to pass along this beautiful curse to her daughter. But she had no other choice. She kissed Othella’s forehead and clasped the necklace around her neck. It fell just beneath the neckline of her daughters white muslin dress.

          “Perfect hiding spot.” Leone whispered.

          Othella touched the necklace tentatively. Her fingers were met with an odd warmth. She looked into her mother’s cloudy blue eyes with a new determination. They didn’t say anything, they didn’t have to. Leone just squeezed her daughters shoulder once and they stood up.

          “Go to the eastern woods,” Leone said, looking around for a basket to give her daughter. “There’s a family who will help you.” She stuffed hard rolls, cheeses and dried fruits into the basket. “Stay near the river for water. You have a week’s worth of food here.”

“But mother, you must come with me!” Othella cried as her mother pushed her toward the back door. Leone looked out and shoved her daughter through, fighting back tears with steel determination.

“No, I must hold them off. Your well being is more important than mine.”

She kissed Othella’s cheek once, embracing her tightly until the crash of a door made them start. Leone mouthed “go” and shut the door quickly. Othella pounded on the door, trying to get back in to help her mother. But she didn’t have to go back inside after all. She saw her mother bolt out the front door, men dressed all in black chasing after her and gaining quickly.

    “Stop!” Othella shrieked, drawing their attention to her. The mother cursed as one of the men started toward her daughter. He had black hair and piercing grey eyes that zeroes in dangerously on her.

    “Run child!” Leone ordered frantically. With a fierce growl, blue flames shot from her hands toward Othella’s attacker. He cried out in pain, but another helped him to his feet and joined the chase. Othella stared wide eyed at her mother, hands shaking. What did she just see? The warrior drew closer. “Now!” Her mother yelled. After one last glance of the horrific scene, Othella flew off into the woods. The sound of fast paced footsteps pushed her on, weaving in and out of trees like a ghost. Branches scraped her face and hands while roots threatened to trip her every few yard, still she kept going.

    “Charles! Hurry, the child has escaped!” A deep voice shouted from a distance. Another man joined the pursuit, forcing Othella further and further into the foreign woods.



© 2013 Lost in Wonderland


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I would love more of this, for it is immensely interesting. Mind sending me a read request or a message please?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Silent Wolf

10 Years Ago

I shall read it later. :3
Lost in Wonderland

10 Years Ago

:3 thanks!
Silent Wolf

10 Years Ago

That is really good, and I can see some obvious differences. It is pretty good,but a few errors is t.. read more
Wow!!! I loved this!!! You should write more its so good :) wish i was good at action like that im just a romance novelist

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lost in Wonderland

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
I'll try and write more :)
Lost in Wonderland

10 Years Ago

I've edited the first chapter to add a lot more information and an actual story line:) Hope you'll c.. read more
nice to see a book with descriptions of things like sounds included to get the reader focused on more than just the characters.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

10 Years Ago

Thanks!
God bless
Invisible

10 Years Ago

hehe, god. sorry, it's just me. anyways you're welcome whatever that means coming from me after that.. read more
Lost in Wonderland

10 Years Ago

I've edited the first chapter to add a lot more information and an actual story line:) Hope you'll c.. read more
This is really good! I think you could make the ending more dramatic by maybe adding a one-line paragraph to build up tension? Other than that you've used lots of good writing techniques and the plot sounds great so far. Please continue!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

10 Years Ago

Thanks! I will:)
God bless
Lost in Wonderland

10 Years Ago

I've edited the first chapter to add a lot more information and an actual story line:) Hope you'll c.. read more
Wow you're such a talented writer, this chapter was full of action, i love it. Please continue.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

Thank you Zachary:)) I plan to soon
Lost in Wonderland

10 Years Ago

I've edited the first chapter to add a lot more information and an actual story line:) Hope you'll c.. read more
Wow this is really good. I would love to read the rest when you post it. Msg me when you have the first chapter.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lost in Wonderland

11 Years Ago

Thanks, I will:)
Lost in Wonderland

10 Years Ago

I've edited the first chapter to add a lot more information and an actual story line:) Hope you'll c.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

400 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 13, 2013
Last Updated on October 22, 2013


Author

Lost in Wonderland
Lost in Wonderland

Wherever my books take me



About
Hi I'm mickey:) Welcome to my page I've been on this sight for a couple of years now and enjoy getting my writing out there for the world to read:) I appreciate comments and will read anything you .. more..

Writing