Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Miranda

     Josh silently followed his friends into the school. The 3 sat down in their usual place in the lunchroom, knowing that they didn’t have to go to class until later. Alan was rambling on about his new video game when he suddenly stopped in mid-sentence.

     “What?” Josh asked.

     “Evil twin at two o’clock,” Alan mumbled and turned away.

     Josh turned only to meet the displeasing sight of his brother sight of his brother, James. James strode up to him along with his girlfriend and 2 of his dumb jock friends. James looked Josh up and down with a scowl on his face.

     “I really hate the fact that we look the same. Hey! I know what makes us different. It’s the fact that I’m way popular and that I have many friends while he is extremely unpopular and only has 2 friends. I guess that makes me better than him,” James said with a dramatic sigh.

     “Oh Yeah? Well, while you’re busy going and being popular, I get to go and learn how to be the perfect man,” Josh countered.

     James rolled his eyes. “Whatever man, just give me my English paper.”

    Josh deliberately took his sweet time digging the paper from his bag. James snatched the paper and stalked off. Before Alan could comment on it, when the bell rang and the students stood up to leave……

     It was about halfway through the day when Josh walked down the hallway on his way to chemistry class. He was engrossed with his conversation with Alan. He wasn’t looking where he was going until he rammed right into a girl, knocking her stuff to the ground.

      “I’m sorry,” he said quickly and bent down to help her. “It’s my fault I�"“He stopped in mid-sentence when he gazed at the girl’s face.

      She had a milky white skin with loose black curls that hung to her shoulders. She wore a gray blouse and dark skinny jeans and a diamond necklace hung around her neck. Her gray eyes seemed to be dull with sadness.

      “You look as fragile as a falling leaf,” Josh gaped. Josh felt his cheeks grow hot with embarrassment as he realized that he said that out loud. He quickly averted her gaze.

     She seemed to have sensed his embarrassment and giggled. “May I please have my book back?” she asked politely.

     Josh suddenly remembered the text book in his hand. “Oh yeah, sure. I was just…. Dusting it off for you,” he stammered and wiped it with his hand. He handed it back to her with a lopsided grin on his face.

     “Come on Patricia, we’re going to be late for class,” a very annoyed Natalie Sharp sounded from behind them.

     “Alright I’m coming.”

     With one last glance at Josh, Patricia strode away. Josh and Alan stood there dumbfounded.

     “I can’t believe that was Patricia Gale,” Josh breathed.

     Suddenly they heard the bell ring.

     “Oh crap! I’m going to get a detention!” Alan shouted and bolted down the hallway.

     Josh followed behind more slowly.

     On the way to the cafeteria, Jenny approached Josh and Alan. She had a broad grin on her face.

     “So, what do you guys think of Patricia?” she asked excitedly.

     We, think she's hot. Let's hope that you don't think the same thing,” Alan joked.

     Josh and Alan laughed while Jenny made a face.

     “Ha ha! Very funny you guys,” she said.

     After the trio got their food and sat at their usual table, Jenny reached into her pocket and pulled out a piece of paper.

     “What's that?” Alan mumbled through his food.

     “If you were patient for a moment, I would have told you,” Jenny said calmly. “This is a flier for the upcoming Halloween dance.” She handed the flier to Josh.

     Josh held it up and read it aloud. “The 'Monster Mash' dance goes from 8pm to midnight on Halloween. Admission is only $3. Students can show up in a costume if they choose. There will be a costume contest and the winner will be announced at the end of the night.”

     “Where did you find this?” Alan asked.

     “In the girl's bathroom, it was taped to the wall,” Jenny explained.

     “That's not awkward!” shouted Alan sarcastically.

     “I'm still available if any of you handsome young men would like to go with me,” Jenny inquired.

     Josh and Alan looked at Jenny in confusion.

     “I'm sorry Jenny, I don't think I can go,” Josh stated.

     “I'll go with you!” Alan volunteered quickly.

     “Alright! Pick me up at eight. As for you--” she turned to Josh. “You're going to that dance.”

     “But--”

     “No 'buts'. The flier said that the dance was on the 31st right? That's tomorrow. So after school tomorrow, we'll go rent costumes,” she decided.

            Josh opened his mouth to protest but Jenny shot him a warning glance. Josh sighed, 'I guess I'm going to the dance.' At the end of the day, Josh got back on the bus.


© 2013 Miranda


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on March 23, 2013
Last Updated on March 23, 2013


Author

Miranda
Miranda

N/A, MI



About
My name is Miranda and I live in Michigan. I am a young author though I have no published works, I am working to get my first novel edited and sent off to the publishers. I write mostly fantasy and u.. more..

Writing
Pikachu Pikachu

A Story by Miranda