Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Miranda

     The rat was totally unaware of the predator lurking in the darkness. A pair of golden eyes stalked its prey, waiting patiently for the right moment to strike.

     'Wait for it.'

     The young wolf moved into position.

     'Wait for it.'

     She bunched her muscles.

     'NOW!'

     She pounced right onto the fat rat's back, instantly breaking it. She held the small body in her jaws until it stopped thrashing. 'Success!' she thought triumphantly. She threw her prey up in the air and caught it in her mouth. She was unaware of the other pup behind her.

     "Nice job, Blaiz. Now if only I could teach you how to not play with your food."

     Blaiz set her catch down. "HA! You didn't teach me anything, Kitara! This hunk of juicy meat in front of me was ALL my own doing!" she boasted. "Maybe you should be the one learning from me!"

     Kitara smirked. "With the amount of patience you have, I'm surprised you were able to sit there long enough."

     "Thank you. Thank you. The pleasure's all mine," Blaiz said with a grin.

     "Gee, you sure have a knack for showing gratitude," Kitara said sarcastically.

     "Gee, you sure have a knack for showing your one sided attitude," Blaiz countered matching Kitara's tone.

     "Come on, let's go meet the others," Kitara said growing serious.

     Blaiz and Kitara walked quietly through the tunnels of the cavern. The pups were six months old and were accustomed to be living in the darkness. The two pups entered their den, announcing their arrival to the rest of the group. Blaiz stood and admired the den like she had every day. The den was located directly beneath the river. The rock has been so eroded by the river flow that they were clear. The den was lit with the blue, wavy light of the river along with the occasional shadow of the fish. Blaiz settled down next to Kitara. A dirty white wolf named Dustin, took his place next to Blaiz.

     "How was the hunting today?" Naka asked from somewhere in the shadows.

     "I think that it went quite well, brother," Kitara answered.

     Blaiz sighed and rolled her eyes.

     "What's wrong, Blaiz?" Dustin asked in her ear.

     "We have the exact same conversations every day," Blaiz complained quietly. "I just wish that we could have a little more.... Excitement in our lives."

     Blaiz tore into her rat. She grumbled to herself, seemingly annoyed.

     Dustin nudged her. "Don't worry; we'll get our chance at life soon."

     "Where's my brother?" Blaiz asked suddenly.

     "I'm in the corner," Cavalier announced.

     "Hey Blaiz, when you're done with that do you want to come somewhere with me?" Misty asked. She was Dustin's sister.

     Blaiz narrowed her eyes. "Where exactly is this 'somewhere'?"

     Misty smiled slyly. "You'll have to come and find out."

     Blaiz stood up. "Well then it's a good thing that I'm done."

     Blaiz followed Misty out of the den. Blaiz grew more curious the more Misty wove through the underground tunnels. She suddenly heard the sound of rushing water and saw the familiar lights of water dancing on the wall.

     "What is this?" Blaiz asked seriously. "You know that we can't leave."

     "Who said anything about leaving?" Misty asked with fake curiosity.

     Misty settled herself down in the cavern taking care not to get too close to the opening. She motioned Blaiz to come closer. Blaiz laid down next to her.

     "What's up?"

     "I've been over hearing Kitara and Naka whispering to each other during the night. They've been talking about some kind of prophecy." Misty leaned closer. "I think that it's somewhere in the cave."

     "Wait now hold on a minute!" Blaiz shouted. "Kitara is my best friend and I don't think that she would be keeping secrets from me. Secondly, wouldn't they have told us if they've discovered anything in this boring old cave?"

     "You obviously haven't noticed that they've been sneaking off during then, have you?" Misty inquired.

     Blaiz stood. "Why does that matter?" she snarled her neck fur rising.

     "Calm down, Blaiz! All I wanted to ask you is if whether you wanted to go find out for sure?"

     Blaiz snorted and looked away.

     "Aren't you curious as to why we are living in here? Why we can't leave? What our purpose in life is?" Misty pressured.

     Blaiz let her fur lay flat. She had to admit, Misty knew that Blaiz was a very curious wolf. "What's your plan?"

     Misty smiled and whispered the plan in Blaiz's ear.


© 2013 Miranda


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on March 24, 2013
Last Updated on March 24, 2013


Author

Miranda
Miranda

N/A, MI



About
My name is Miranda and I live in Michigan. I am a young author though I have no published works, I am working to get my first novel edited and sent off to the publishers. I write mostly fantasy and u.. more..

Writing
Pikachu Pikachu

A Story by Miranda