That Day In June

That Day In June

A Poem by Miranda Aguinaga
"

Told as a typical summer day for me, but exagerrated into a story :)

"

I looked in my mirror near midafternoon, but I could not see deeper than the surface. I clawed at my chest, tried to rip through my flesh. Needless to say I did not find what I was looking for.

I tried to find a bandage big enough to cover up that large, awkward hole in my chest. I bought a new dress, and even a matching smile. My futile attempt was brave, regardless to say though, I was still concave.

I stepped outside my ragged home, and searched for my place in the world. Unfortunately, every position I applied for required you to be a whole, and I was but a piece.

My restless legs took me to that coffee place on durango, where all the souless kids smoked and laughed. I ordered an iced passion tea, with a shot of soul, but the obtrusive women with the abused hair said, "We don't serve those cold."

My eyes wandered over to a strange man in a strange coat. He smoked 100s, but didn't laugh. He was of color, but he stood so close to those kids of grey.

He offered me a light, a seat, and a steady hand. He didn't talk much, and I didn't think much, but that strange man in the strange coat nearly rebirthed my sould that day. I bet you he doesn't even know.

I kissed a boy that day. Smiled at him, and looked away. I fed my heart to the cowering vulture, and then ran away only to come back again, and gather those bloodless remains.

I stole scotch tape on my way to that ragged home. I taped "Missing" sings with my smiling face on ever corner, and a number to call, in case she was found. No one called.

As the night breeched 12, I sat on some grass, found a decent refry, and looked into the sky. I felt along my chest, but that large, awkward hole in my chest was nowhere to be found.

© 2008 Miranda Aguinaga


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on November 2, 2008

Author

Miranda Aguinaga
Miranda Aguinaga

Las Vegas, NV



About
I'm always absorbed in one book another. Sometimes, I wonder who the hell even handed me a pencil. more..

Writing
10/30 10/30

A Story by Miranda Aguinaga