Another Sea of Dreams: 1

Another Sea of Dreams: 1

A Story by GirlPower66
"

Last time Andrea Shepherd checked, things had brightened for her; she turned sixteen, made the honor roll, and made a couple of new friends. But unfortnatuely, misery seems to follow her regardless. With her brother not being able to deal with the academi

"

   The cool ocean breeze swept across my face. I pulled my jacket closer to me. I breathed in the salt air. It smelled pretty good. But just as I was in my state of relaxation, a seagull flew less than a foot over my head. I shrieked and ducked. A couple of fishermen looked over at me and smiled. I rolled my eyes and let my mind wander.

 

   This had been such a long year. Nelson finally went off to college. It took a while for my grandfather and I to encourage him, but we prevailed. I was really happy for him, but I had no idea it would result in loneliness for me. I missed him so much! I called him on some nights, but he woukd usually have an exam to study for, and he wouldn't talk to me for long.  But now, I was sitting here on a Saturday, bored out of my mind. Then, just as I was in my daydream, the ferry pulled up to the dock. Loads of people started to get off; they were all talking and laughing. Some were by themselves. I wouldn't see Nelson getting off that thing until May. And that seemed like a long ways away, considering it was the last day of Feburary. Bored, and a little sad, I got up, made my way through the crowds, and headed home.

***

 

   "Grandpa, I'm back!" I called when I got in to the house, escaping the cold New England weather.

  "I'm upstairs!" he called back.

   Oh, no. He must be in bed, I thought.

 

   I threw off my jacket and ran up the steps. When I arrived in his doorway, I was right. He was propped up in bed, reading the newspaper.

 

   "Are you okay?" I asked.

   "Yes, I'm fine. My chest was bothering me, that's all."

   I sat at the foot of his bd. "Your chest?"

   "Yes. I was having chest pains."

   "Grandpa, you really have to be careful. They can happen anytime."

   "I know, Andrea, I know. But I'm perfectly fine."

 

   In the moment of silence, I looked around. I liked my gardfather's room; it was dark, but there were pictures of old boats, and sailing artifacts hung on thr wall. There were also pictures of Nelson and I in our little kid days sitting on the top of his drawer.

 

   "Is there anything I can get you?"

  "I'll take some coffee. And I like it---"

  "I know, you like your coffee black," I said with a smile.

 

   As I was in the kitchen making his coffee, there was a knock at the back door. I knew exactly who it was; Ms. Dickey. She had moved in back in December. Her husband passed away a few years ago, so she's pretty lonely. She comes over regularly to see grandpa and I. I opened the door for her.

 

   "Hello, Andrea!"

  "Hi, Ms. Dickey. How are you?"

   "I'm just fine. Good gracious, you're so beautiful. How old are you again?"

  "I'm sixteen."

   "Well, you're a beautiful young lady. Where's your grandfather?"

   "He's upstairs. It's the first room on the left. Would you like a cup of coffee?"

   "Oh, no thank you, dear."

 

   She rushed up the stairs, just as I had did earlier. I only had one thing on my mind now: call Nelson tonight and talk his ear off about my boring week.

  

© 2008 GirlPower66


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A kind and beautiful story. A young person good to her grandfather is a honor to know. A excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


It was really interesting and realistic, but the first paragraph seemed a bit disjointed to be because there weren't any commas where there could have been. My favorite part was the end: Call Nelson tonight and talk his ear off about my boring week. That was awesome. I can't wait to move on to the next chapter.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 26, 2008

Author

GirlPower66
GirlPower66

Queen Anne's County, MD



About
Hi there! Just thought I'd change my profile to make it more brief. I know how reading a long profile can feel. Enjoy and check out my writing :] Age= 16 Hair Color= black Eye Color= hazel brown .. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by GirlPower66



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..