Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Matthew-Ryan Willams
"

Into the West

"

It had been two cycles since the battle at Glassion, and our group had split to take care of our individual missions. Avhieta was in the east at the academy, and Alisha was off training with Glenda in the far south.
After putting up a great fight, but losing in the end, Vera was in Kandella learning from Frustusio. Tobito's whereabouts were still unknown, yet It was my belief he was close, watching our every movement.
Nel and Nina chose to stay in Activus and watch over Mathias, while the rest of us prepared to head west in search of the Heaven's Tears oasis, and possibly Master Kea-tan himself. To some, two full-cycles would seem like a long time. To us, it felt as if it could pass in the blink of an eye. The Day of Convergence was quickly approaching, and we had yet to properly prepare for whatever it might be.
After spending so much time away from the capital, Annita thought it would be best for me to be King Justo for a few cycles before leaving again. The mundane tasks of day to day business that had been left to her, now fell at my feet. Bill signings, guild disputes, religious disputes, law reviews, and the most dreaded of all, the capital council meetings between the Activus Nobles' Society, a group of human nobles that believed Valorians were of a better breed than the Mupani, and the Mupani Initiative, an upstart group of Mupani nobles looking to build an understanding between the two races.
The meetings would run well into the night, leaving me being less of a council leader and more of a mediator. After two cycles of that madness, the feeling for adventure was aching in my bones. One night, after a particularly long council meeting, while Annita and I lay sleep in bed, Freya came to see me in my dreams.
We were in the meadow where I met Ethan, sitting at the same table. She sat opposite of me, with her arms folded across her chest; an angry look in her smouldering eyes.
"Where have you been Nathan?" She asked. "It has two cycles, and you have yet to say anything to me or Deto." That was true. After losing my portion of Yumia's ring, and my utter defeat in Glassion at the hands of Gideon, talking to either one of them had been the farthest from my mind.
"I've been busy running Activus," was my answer to her question. She slammed her fist against the table.
"Father told me what he told you. Have you forgotten that you need to be heading to the west? The Day of Convergence is not long from now. You need to purify your sword." Sitting there calmly without losing my composure, I returned her glare with one of my own.
"We will be heading west soon, right now showing a strong unified Activus is my main priority."
"Alright then," she said standing up. "I will let Deto know also." As she turned to leave, she stopped. "Nathan, about that day, you must understand-" I put my hand up to cut her off.
"I understand perfectly why you did it. I don't blame you for doing it." The look she gave me was like that of a child seeking reassurance from a parent.
"Are you sure you don't hate me?" Coupled with those words the combination was too much. Standing up, I came around the table and hugged her tightly. No matter how that particular day went, she was my sister, and was only looking out for my well-being.
"No, I don't hate you. If anything I hate myself for putting you in that situation." She buried her face in my chest and the warm sensation of tears could be felt.
"Thank you Nathan," she said hugging me back. The meadow around us faded to black, and the dream was over.
The next morning, we completed our preparations, and started for Western Kingdom. It felt good to have the weight of armor and weapons on me again. It also was nice to be traveling with Annita and Baronias again.
Up to that point, there had been no reason for Arian to act as my guard. So with us finally setting out, he was the most energized.
"Do you think there will be much danger on this journey, your majesty?" He asked, fear and excitement clearly in his voice, which made Annita laugh.
"Calm down Ari. If there is danger, I'm sure you will protect Monte." Though she and Baronias knew the truth, they continued to call me by my Valorian name. She gave him a sly half glance. "Though it may end up the other way around." At that he gave her a rather sour look.
"Don't tease me Nita! I've never been on a journey like this before!" At that Baronias and I laughed.
"Yeah 'Nita,' don't tease your little brother." I said with a broad smile. "The poor boy even changed his way of speaking." We all laughed as she took a few playful swipes at me while we boarded a sleigh for Shockrum. From Shockrum, we would head west to the town of Mephose. By way of age, Mephose was as old if not older than the capital Activus. But as time progressed, the citizens Mephose chose to progress with it. Soon Mephose became the technological hub of the entire Northern Kingdom. The reason we were stopping there was because that after my fight with Gideon, the Oracle Eye command protocols had been malfunctioning. While the Oracle Eye itself could never be created again, magika technicians in Mephose believed they could fix the command problems. Since we were heading west anyway, it would be less time consuming just to pick it up on the way. First though, there were other things to do.
Stopping by the town's little cemetery, the others waited while I went to pay respects to a dear friend. Gresham's headstone had been beautifully carved by the best stone worker in the north; his wife's and child's had been replaced also. Taking a small bottle of spiced wine from my belt, I placed it next to his grave.
"We are going on another journey, drink that and watch over us, my friend." Leaving the cemetery, we had to stop by a certain store to pick up supplies. It had been well over half a full-cycle since I had stepped into that place, yet it was as familiar as always. The man behind the counter seemed a bit older, but at seeing us, that unmistakable grin spread across his face.
"It has been a while, your majesty. I hope you have been well?" He stretched out his hand, and I shook it as if greeting an old friend.
"Yes it has Nolan, I hope business has been good?" He laughed and scratched his head.
"Quite good actually. Every adventurer shops here, since the king gets his supplies from me." We both had a laugh at that.
"Are the supplies ready?" He put four packs on the counter.
"Everything that you asked for, and a few extra things as a bonus." I passed the packs out to everyone.
"Thanks again Nolan, we'll be on our way." As we headed out the door Nolan called out to me.
"My king, we heard about how you nearly died in that battle down south. If you could, would you please be a bit more careful this time? Some of us older folks would like to leave here before another king does." I looked back at him standing behind the counter; there were tears in his eyes.
"Sure, my friend, I'll be much more careful this time."
We left the shop heading for the western gate. After some pleasantries with the guards, we started out on the Western Road heading for Mephose. It would take half s cycle to reach the town, so we would resupply there before setting out for the village of Holston on the Western Tundra. As we walked along the road, an uneasiness settled in my spirit. The two pieces of Yumia's Heart that I received from Frustusio and Xion, were reacting to something. At the time, there was no way for any of us to know what was happening in Mephose. But in time, it would the reason behind my uneasiness would become clear.


© 2015 Matthew-Ryan Willams


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

very nicely written, the detail you have used really sets the scene and the way you have ended the chapter ensures the reader will want to know what happens next. An enticing read, loved it! Hannah

Posted 8 Years Ago


Matthew-Ryan Willams

8 Years Ago

Thanks Hanna! You should check the first boom in the series
Very impressive Matthew. To me, you have the right technical skill, the craft and a Great imagination. I liked the story line and where you were going with it. It kept me as a reader wanting to read on and to know the outcome. I certainly wasn't bored and furthermore the characters types were awesome. I always applaud more & appreciate people like you and your talent. I am not a story writer but I know how much time and effort is put into writing Chapters and books etc. So, I will say Bravo to you ! and Continue to keep up the excellent work! maria

Posted 8 Years Ago


Matthew-Ryan Willams

8 Years Ago

Thanks a lot Maria!
maria  ( rose)

8 Years Ago

my pleasure:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

248 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 11, 2015
Last Updated on October 11, 2015
Tags: Fantasy, Science Fiction, psychological drama


Author

Matthew-Ryan Willams
Matthew-Ryan Willams

St Clair, MI



About
Reading literature has always been a big part of my life, but lately I have taken to writing my own. Writing has saved my life numeral times in the last few years so I wanted to share what was created.. more..

Writing