Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Amy Tao
"

The next chapter.

"

Two weeks had passed and life at Academy improved dramatically with Resa as her friend. Resa provided Amaryllis with company and the two of them became good friends. They went to classes together and spent their lunch times together. Most of all, Resa and her other friends did not view Amaryllis as any different from them.

Amaryllis was a bright student and she caught on skills easily. In the time span of two weeks she had learnt a lot and became one of the best Gifted students in her class. She recently topped a class in an Air magic test and many others looked up to her for that. Ms. Evan, the Water magic teacher and Ms. Aurar were both fond of the cheerful clever girl. All was going well for her studies.

Penelope was a problem though. Penelope kept giving her nasty looks and studded comments despite Amaryllis’s attempts to make peace with her and apologize. It’s obvious that she likes James and doesn’t want anyone to hook him away, Amaryllis thought as she loaded her lunch tray with a plate of spaghetti and a small bowl of fruit, but it’s not like I’m purposely trying to hook him away or anything, it’s just that he’s nice and I’m quite fond of him. James and her and grown close since he had congratulated Amaryllis and she was grateful for his company and lighthearted humor that he always brought with him. Amaryllis bit her lip, Penelope just keeps having bad thoughts about him and me.

“Amaryllis, over here!” Resa called and patted the seat beside her and beckoned her to come over. The thoughts that clouded her mind disappeared at once at her friend’s cheerful face. Amaryllis smiled and sat down beside her.

“How was Fire magic?” Resa inquired. “It was fine. We were learning how to make balls of fire.” Amaryllis forked her spaghetti and dug into her lunch as she replied, “we’ve got a practical test on making balls and spears of fire next week,” Amaryllis made a face.

“Oh right, I nearly forgot what I was going to tell you,” Resa dramatically clapped a hand to her forehead, “this Friday is the school ball. It’s an annual event and people look forward to it. All students attend it and you basically dress up, forget about elemental differences, and dance. It’s a night of fun and dancing,” Resa explained.

Amaryllis perked up, “cool,” she responded. “The thing is, about the dancing, a boy has to invite you to go with him. The inviting is due to start today. Of course, there are people left over with no dance partners so you’d better cross your fingers and hope that someone good-looking invites you soon,” Resa giggled and blushed, “the rest is pretty simple really after you accept someone’s dance partner invitation.”

“Has anyone invited you yet?” Amaryllis asked. Resa shook her head, “not yet, but I’m hoping that Kai will,” Resa gestured at a muscular looking water- Gifted boy with curly brown hair and stormy blue eyes.

Amaryllis swallowed, I doubt anyone will invite me, she thought to herself but kept the thought back, not wanting to dampen Resa’s bright spirits.

“Anyways, there are other things to think about, like, what are you going to wear? Girls have to wear dresses. Do you want to slip out of the Academy and check out the dress shops at night? There are some pretty nice shops here in downtown New York” Resa asked, her eyes twinkling in excitement and apprehension.

“Okay,” Amaryllis replied, a little excited in spite of thinking that no one would invite her to dance, “see you at night at the main entrance then.”

Amaryllis’s thoughts were on the oncoming school dance as she entered the Earth magic classroom. What kind of dress should I wear? Amaryllis thought as she chose a desk, set her belongings down and sat down, resting her head on her hands and pondering.

A shadow fell across her desk and Amaryllis looked up to see James looking at her. She raised an eyebrow, wordlessly enquiring. “Oh, I just wanted to ask you, would you like to go to the school ball with me?”

Shock caught Amaryllis’s tongue for a moment and she was unable to form words. After a fraction of a second, she recovered, “Of course, as in yes, I would love to go to the school ball with you.”

Relief appeared in James’s eyes and every line of his torso, he seemed to be quite nervous about inviting her. He nodded several times, “well then, see you there then, Friday night.” After saying that, James smiled and walked away.

Amaryllis sat dumbstruck for a moment, unable to believe what had just happened. The most handsome boy in the school had just invited her to dance with him. Invited a freak girl like her who could control all four elements. Then a slow smile played across her face, I wonder what Penelope’s reaction will be.

For the rest of the Earth magic lesson, Amaryllis found it hard to control her excitement and concentrate to the dull teacher. All she knew was that she was looking forward to the school ball.



© 2013 Amy Tao


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on March 26, 2013
Last Updated on March 26, 2013
Tags: elemental, magic, danger, fear, hate, love, romance, dance, power, girl


Author

Amy Tao
Amy Tao

Hong Kong, Hong Kong



About
Hi guys, I am Moonleaf.. Yes, I'm a very dedicated Warriors fan, as well as a Harry Potter fan and a The Alchemyst fan. I like writing poems and short stories, and I enjoy reading fiction books What a.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Amy Tao