Introduction

Introduction

A Chapter by Haimaii

Introduction

‘That was impressive’ a charismatic voice sounds.

We look around scanning the surrounding area, but see nothing.

‘In your trousers’ it says, the voice not seeming to come from anywhere in particular.

Dean wears a confused look on his face as he removes the die from his pocket.

‘Hello again’ the Pebble says, its voice smooth and calming, with a hint of malice.

I finally get a good look at it in the sunlight. Its many sides glow a humble purple colour. Strange symbols cover the surface.

‘Hasn’t anyone told you it’s impolite to stare?’

‘Hasn’t anyone told you rocks don’t talk?’ I snap back.

He laughs, ‘Point taken’.

‘A sentient object?’ Sheila asks herself, ‘Incredible’.

‘Although I’d rather not be called an object, I am indeed conscious. Another fun side effect of magic. There’s no need to fear me, however, since I can’t do spells unless I’m rolled. Not that I can actually control what I do. In fact, it’s quite random.’

I sigh and lean back against the tree, this adventure is getting weirder by the minute.

‘You guys are adventurers, right? I think I might have a quest for you. Or at least know where to get one.’

Now he has caught the attention of Geirolf.

‘Tell me’ he rumbles.

‘Naturally, big guy. There’s this town called Savvor, a three day journey, and they could use someone of your expertise. See, they’re being bullied by these terrible monsters, and I’m sure you’d be happy to help.’

‘We’ll think about it’ I say absentmindedly.

‘I see’ he says after a while, ‘Perhaps tomorrow’.


We set up our tents. For some reason Geirolf refused to be near the Pebble, thus me and Sheila will have to deal with it from now on. I don’t waste a second before jumping into the sleeping bag. Sheila looks at the die thoughtfully, turning it around and examining all sides, being careful not to drop it.

‘What’s wrong?’ she asks, not taking her eyes of the die.

At this point I’m not even surprised that she noticed anymore. ‘I’m not sure if I want to keep doing this’ I say after a while, ‘going around, risking my life for absolutely nothing’.

‘I thought you wanted to see the world?’

‘I did’ I sigh, ‘I’ve seen more than enough. There’s no future in this life. You either die a horrible death, or barely survive and live the rest of your existence an outcast’.

‘Only if you’re bad at your job’ she remarks.

‘All it takes is one mistake, Sheila, one.’

She finally takes her eyes of the Pebble and looks me in the eyes, ‘If you want to quit, I won’t stop you. You’ll always be my friend’.

I smile shyly, then lie down.

‘I don’t think I’ve ever been this intimate with a woman’ the little die says as Sheila rubs some dirt off of it.

Sheila’s about to throw the Pebble away in anger, then thinks better of it just in time.

‘Sorry, I didn’t mean to ruin the moment.’

It’s my turn to carry the Pebble this morning.

‘Head east’ the die says, ‘If you’re interested in my offer’.

‘Not yet’ Sheila says, ‘We made a promise to return to Veneficus, and I intend on keeping it’.

It doesn’t take all too long before we’ve reached it.

The town has been decorated with all sorts of colours. Flags move with the wind and children are laughing.

‘Throw me’ the Pebble whispers, ‘I want to fly’.

I ignore its charismatic voice and greet the mayor. The tavern is flooded with people, mostly tourists.

‘We’re not the only ones, it seems’ Geirolf comments.

I’m not sure if he understands the meaning of “tournament”. Foolishly, Geirolf decides to also take part in the yearly tournament, not realizing he’ll get his a*s kicked. Or, perhaps, he just doesn’t care. Probably both.


‘Let the tournament begin!’ the mayor’s voice silences all. Whether it is due to his authoritarian voice or his magic staff, I do not know.

Geirolf was granted the honour to be in the first round, he didn’t last long. His opponent was a silent, old man. They stood in the middle of a large clearing in the forest. The old man made a simple hand gesture and Geirolf’s weapons were flung from his hands into a nearby tree. His hands had already reached the hilt of his war axe when his swords landed. Rushing forward, he screamed menacingly. His brute nature did not frighten the old man, however, and a clump of dirt shot up in front of his feet. He tripped and fell, then got back up. The old man continued this charade until it was no longer amusing, and shot a large icicle through Geirolf’s leg. He didn’t scream or yell out in pain, but he knew he’d lost. Geirolf limped back to Sheila, wondering what he did wrong.


I’m about to comfort him when a small child runs up to me and pulls the die from my hand.

‘Little thief!’ I say as I chase after him.

He turns around swiftly and throws the die back at me. S**t. I try to catch it, but I fail, miserably. I end up face first on the ground and see the Pebble land right in front of me.

‘Finally!’ it cries out, then there is a bright flash.

I quickly close my eyes to prevent me from being blinded. It’s quiet for a while, then I hesitantly open my eyes again. There is a small chicken in front of me, but nothing else out of the ordinary.

‘Missed opportunity’ the Pebble says with a sigh, ‘so close’.

I walk back to my friends with the Pebble in my pocket and the chicken in my arms.

‘No thanks, I’m not hungry’ Geirolf says as I show him the chicken, ‘Besides, it’s a little undercooked’.

I’m honestly not sure if that was sarcasm.

‘Why do you have a chicken?’ sheila asks.

‘I don’t want to talk about it’ I say simply.

‘That chicken is my child’ the Pebble says, earning confused looks from nearby people.

A mage clad in green robes walks up to Sheila and kindly asks for a heal. It’s the necromancer from before. Apparently, I missed the second round.

‘I see that you’ve lost’ I say, pointing at the large hole in his chest and the burn marks on his robe. It doesn’t seem to bother him.

‘I won, actually’ he says, nodding his head in the direction of his opponent, who’s being carried away in a towel. Scratch marks covering his legs and arms, and a bone protruding from his chest.

I don’t think magic fights are really my thing.

‘What are you doing away from the tournament?’ Dean asks as he walks up to me.

‘I stopped paying attention after the sixth round, it was all too complicated.’

‘I want to talk to you, about that time when we first found the Pebble’.

‘You mean when you carried me over the bridge, not caring about how horrible that was for me?’

He sighs, ‘Exactly about that’.

‘I don’t want to talk about that’ I snap back. I know he meant well in that cave, but that doesn’t mean I’m not angry.

‘I couldn’t think of a better way. I still can’t.’

‘Well perhaps you shouldn’t have done anything’, I see it hurts his feelings, good.

‘I couldn’t just leave you behind’ he raises his voice a little, something I’m not used to from him.

‘Nobody asked you to do anything’ I respond, raising my voice as well.

‘I don’t want to lose you!’ he yells, silencing me completely. He too becomes quiet. The silence is long and awkward.

‘Why not?’ I ask, my voice sounding weaker than I had hoped.

‘Because I care about you.’

‘Why?’ I continue, I’m not sure why I asked.

‘I… I don’t know’ he stammers, ‘You’re a good friend’.

I look at him, scanning him from top to bottom. His face hidden under his hood, his broad shoulders, the gloves on his hands, the large tears in his cape, including the fabric that had been ripped off. The cloak seems old and worn. His padded boots look warm and comfortable.

He rests his head in his hands.

‘Look’ he sighs, ‘I meant well, and I’m sorry if it didn’t feel that way, but other than that I don’t know what I can say’. He turns around and walks away, leaving me behind to regret my choices.


‘Which way?’ I ask the die.

‘To your left, then straight ahead.’

‘A long road awaits us’ Geirolf remarks.

‘It will be worth it’ Sheila says.

“My last adventure” I say to myself. I decided last night. “After this I’ll take it easy”

I don’t know what I’ll do, but I’ll figure it out.


© 2017 Haimaii


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on January 25, 2017
Last Updated on January 25, 2017


Author

Haimaii
Haimaii

Netherlands



About
I write stories in English as a hobby. Although I'm not a native speaker, and grammar mistakes can be made, I enjoy writing and shall continue doing so. If you have any ideas or tips for me, please .. more..

Writing
The Start The Start

A Chapter by Haimaii