Nobody's Coming

Nobody's Coming

A Story by Shelley Holt-Lowrey
"

A thought tossed about by a dear friend and I as the approach of our fortieth year came more closely into focus. Not this tongue in cheek however.

"

A word to the women who won't admit it and don't want to get it, and who want to whine on about it.  From one who is tired of hearing about it. 

I am sorry to be the harbinger of bad news darlin’ but please understand this:  Nobody’s Comin’!

I tell you this as I I hope to save you a host of years of pining, whining and waiting - for something that ain’t ever gonna darken your door.  No matter how much you think it should, or no matter how bad you want it to be true.  It isn’t.  

If you don’t want to hear me well, that’s OK.  I’ll be the one standing over here watching as you keep movin’ on in your belief that what you want is just over the next bend.  That if you wait just five more minutes, the dust cloud from four galloping equine hoofs will become visible over the knoll.  I’ll be lookin’ on as you keep waiting for what isn’t there.  You go on and write your God forsaken four line stanzas about what you wish for most, on how your emptiness will soon be filled, how your feminine entitlement is on its way, and about how you are destined and soul-mated.  And I will laugh as I see you knowingly ignore the fact that your soul mate has long forgotten your name, along with that fated connection you swear was shared on one sunny lazy August day;  when you looked right into his soul and he looked off into the distance... as he emptied himself into you in one final grunting thrust.

Your mama lied girl.  Prince Charming lives...  but only between the pages of those pretty hard cover fairy tale books she read in order to get you to shut up and go to sleep.  Prince Charming isn’t real sweetie. 

So if you want flowers - go buy them your own damn self on your way home from that job you keep, which pays your bills... until he comes to save you.  I wouldn’t plan on quitting that job in the too near future missy.  I already told ya’, Nobody’s Coming.

© 2012 Shelley Holt-Lowrey


Author's Note

Shelley Holt-Lowrey
.... something different I thought I would try.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like your humor. As one reviewer has stated....there are some good guys out there, but I realize that you are not rejecting that notion with this piece. I took this piece as more of a wake-up-call for the women with a pie-in-the-sky attitude, who clearly don't get it. Does that make sense? Gosh, I hope so. :-)

I enjoy your writing, Shelley. There is much truth in it. Nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shelley Holt-Lowrey

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kind words. Thanks more for liking my writing 'cause well, I'm shallow a.. read more



Reviews

Great story telling. This did justice in the realm of getting the message across. Great message. There's lot of times where a story can have a great message to aim for, and have a lot of under lining things but then no one gets it, and if no one gets it, then the point has failed. But in my opinion this did well to get the message across. You made it clear, which is why I think it's good. Keep up the good work. What was also great was that I could imagine the story as I read it, and that is also a strong point of stories. The ability to have the reader imagine it because after all we're reading not watching it, but it was as if I was there as I read this, and that is great. Great visuals and great story telling. It had plot and substance. When you add substance to writing it gets that much better. It gets the reader hooked on it and make them feel as if they are part of it. As long as their is that emotional connection between the reader and the story then it's good. The connection you were able to established in the writing gives the reader a sense of comfortably that they are in tune with the writing. So that way when the writing is over, the reader wants more, and wishes it didn't end. I feel the same way when I watched a movie or tv series that I get so attached to, I never want it to end. And for this writing, I didn't want it to end. You had me hooked, and I am sure everyone else who read it was hooked as well. That is good, that is what you want for people to keep wanting more. The way you put the story together makes me feel like my life is different for that moment in which I read your story. I love it, and it was beautiful. Just keep posting stories like this, and you'll have a good following.

Posted 8 Years Ago


i don't know which is worse. sitting around waiting for a prince, or settling for a toad. both happen way too often.

Posted 11 Years Ago


If you had to live with Prince Charming, I'd be willing to bet you'd soon want a real man!

You are always writing things that stimulate the mind and make me light on the page for a while. Someone should write the story that begins...."happily ever after" and tell the true tales of the life that happens after the fair maiden is scooped up.... I bet you could do that so well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Shelley Holt-Lowrey

11 Years Ago

I could totally do that!! Happily ever after... Happily being subjective of course. :). Thank you .. read more
I like your humor. As one reviewer has stated....there are some good guys out there, but I realize that you are not rejecting that notion with this piece. I took this piece as more of a wake-up-call for the women with a pie-in-the-sky attitude, who clearly don't get it. Does that make sense? Gosh, I hope so. :-)

I enjoy your writing, Shelley. There is much truth in it. Nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shelley Holt-Lowrey

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kind words. Thanks more for liking my writing 'cause well, I'm shallow a.. read more
Kinda sad, but fun

Posted 11 Years Ago


At that moment... The one he swore he'd pull out for, didn't he exclaim, "I'm coming!"

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh my......yes prince charming needs to shower.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Prince Charming is great on paper but not so good in real life. Charming come home late for dinner and still manages to throw dirty socks all over the bedroom floor. Then he half way ignores you when you say how do I look? Ummm. So true here. I think it is well said here quit waiting on the Prince and get off your tail and make your own life happen. Cinderella had a rude awakening when the palace finally had to be cleaned and the royal children needed to be fed. I like this nice piece. Very fun read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


How well you speak the truth. I loved it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Shelley Holt-Lowrey

11 Years Ago

Thank you Mr. Cajun
Ragin Cajun

11 Years Ago

Your welcome Miss Holt-Lowrey. ;)
"as he emptied himself into you in one final grunting thrust," I laughed so hard over this line it hurt. What a "funny" you are. Over all I felt this piece was a little harsh. I do feel there are some Prince Charmings out there, me being one of them. I've changed my persona to the most interesting man alive, so I felt a bit slighted by this piece. There are a few good men out there, and there is a chance that some damsel might run into one of them. Where there is hope there is life. Granted, my gender has more than it's share of scum bags with the motto feelem, f..kem, forgetem, but that doesn't mean that everyone with a penis is deserving of condemnation. As usual, I really enjoyed this piece and the humor it contained. You're one funny lady Miss Shelley. I'll end with one grunting thrust.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Shelley Holt-Lowrey

11 Years Ago

Thank you Zeeke. Appreciate the feedback truly. Of course there are the good ones out there. I know.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

799 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2012
Last Updated on July 7, 2012
Tags: fourty, prince charming, short story, irony


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..