More like Her

More like Her

A Poem by Kelly Scheppers

More like Her

 

 

 

I was freckled

from too many summers on the California coast.

I loved you then

when you belonged to someone else,

when I was full of poetry that voiced itself

in angst and melodic offerings

of Janis Ian songs.

 

How I wished it were me

who had your name,

whose rounded shoulders were as traversed

as the pages of an atlas

within your hands…

 

perhaps if I

had been more like her.

© 2018 Kelly Scheppers


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

There were so many women that I thought I belonged with only to find out later that they were boring and bad in the sack. As poets, we will always have a small part of ourselves thats eternally alone and wanting. Now that I am older, I wouldnt have it any other way. This is a empathetic work we can all relate too. Great poem, Kelly!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

Oh nooooo! Ten days? However must I tarry on?
CD Campbell

5 Years Ago

Yeah I know, it'll be tough. But you must go on. Somehow.
Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

I guess it'll make a better woman out of me in the long run. ; )
I read this a few times. Each time more slowly and the last time I paused as if there was a period at the end of each word. How many times I've wished I was the other person. Each time I wished, it made my heart ache stronger. As for the freckles and red hair. Ok! Well as a street photographer. I have yet got the courage to go up to the stranger on the street and ask for a up-close and personal shot of eyes, nose and face of a beautiful read head freckled woman. I've always thought a natural light complected skin woman without Make-Up was a very natural beauty. And to capture it on film, closeup would be wonderful! Kelly, your poem is extraordinary.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

You've made my day, Arthur. This review is quite extraordinary to me! Thank you!
Arthur Henn

5 Years Ago

You are welcome.
These words will eventually be consigned to my favourites.. no need to read between the lines, they are, what they are, precisely freckled and perfect... N

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

I very much appreciate your kindness and flattery. Thank you, Nev!
Brought home the taste of so many memories this.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

I appreciate that, Ken. Thank you so much!
This has a lingering "bite" to it... and left myst in its wake.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Chris

5 Years Ago

Kell - you ALWAYS hold my attention - and have from the first time you paused me in my tracks.
Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

You've been with me since the very beginning, all of ten years. How lucky am I ?
Chris

5 Years Ago

It's taken me that long to remember how to breathe... and perhaps another ten to want to?
Soft, tragic and as smooth as the thought we make alone, dripping from the moon. This makes me want to sit in a dark room and digest all the flavors that emanate from it. You have every tool the reader desires and even more you have that unsettling heartache. The one that never leave but instead grows deeper in your appreciation of being dead long before the last breath is released. Freckles are so endearing yet we continually curse them until we see their rare beauty. My first time as well and wonderfully awe struck!


Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

My freckles and I thank you for a most compassionate review!
Wow....the emotion really packs a punch in this one, Kelly! You know what? You were better off not being more like "her"....you are you and I am glad you are. Your reference to Janis Ian is one I enjoyed...."Society's Child" was always a favorite of mine. Even back then, we were poets! Good one, my friend. Lydi**

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

How good it is to see you, Lydi. Thank you so much!
I know my dear Kelly that You would never wish to be anyone but You, but sometimes that fragile part inside us stings and stings... the need, the want, the pain, the memories, the Love... what words are more touching than Yours here, they are aching over the page, and they are making our hearts ache, Your original style always "Yours" no one else but "Yours".

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

I think the person I am now emerged from who I was, then. Many thanks and much love, Ghounwah!
Oh yes Kelly I like this, and I like the way you have voiced that yearning in such economic and yet melodic terms - well done.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

I appreciate your kindness of words. Thank you!
This reminds me of the Rolling Stones song, "You Can't Always Get What You What", which, if we live long enough happens to us all. In my life I look back and realize that I may have not always gotten what I wanted but what I probably needed. So many times I wondered what life would have been like with a different partner, different husband. Where would I be today? One thing I do know is it boils down to the choices we make. Kelly, you write about these deep emotions with such beauty and grace. One may even forget how brokenhearted you may have felt at the time. Just loved this write!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelly Scheppers

5 Years Ago

Having your perspective as someone I’ve known for more than just a couple of years, really means a.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1445 Views
42 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 21, 2018
Last Updated on October 22, 2018

Author

Kelly Scheppers
Kelly Scheppers

San Diego, CA



About
I was never a pearl kind of girl... always wore jeans with holes in the knees. more..

Writing