Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Mys Michelle

     Magnus shut the book once more as his eyes watched the cleared, quiet area. During the warmest months, his protective duties were mostly set for pups who were just playing too close to sacred ground. In the middle of the night, when the homes were quiet with soft snores and the occasion twitch of the ear and tail, Magnus was left with time to think and act as he pleased. When he first began this job, he wouldn't have even thought of moving from his spot unless absolutely necessary. Now, he smiled every time everyone was soundly asleep. Setting the book beside him, Magnus stood up and silently focused himself for training.
     He followed Hunting Guidelines. Given to him through a small note in the very back of the book from a previous priest who felt the same way Magnus did about the rules and regulations of the priests. The note gave him details in Hunters Training for strong pups and wolves along with illustrations on certain positions. The only real rule to the sheet was leave it for the future priests and do NOT show anyone. Grinning, he inhaled deeply, focusing more on his breathing than anything before starting. He placed his palm on the ground before him and pushed himself upward. He balanced gracefully on his hand, knowing this position quite well. He knew where to shift his weight and he knew where to give the most attention.
     He remained like this, his ears and eyes on full alert. His nose twitched suddenly, an unfamiliar scent caught his attention. He twitched it again, trying to recognize the scent. Sweet, incredibly sweet, mixed with a scent that was so faint, it was barely there at all. His nose twitched one more time before he couldn't take it anymore. He sneezed, lost his balance and hit the ground. Looking ahead at the spot he had just fallen from, a line of ice before him. His eyes widened as he quickly tried to push the line down into the ground. He tried to pull it up to move it, he tried to bury it, but it's glistening gaze poked out and mocked him in his panic. The Wolves of Fire, his pack was nicknamed. Wouldn't they just be "thrilled" to find out there was an Ice Wolf amongst them. Not only amongst them, but to be one of their sacred wolves. Magnus sighed and pleaded the ice to fade before the hour was up, before the night was up, before the wolves were up. His ability was becoming more and more powerful in his young years. He had been able to hide them for most of his life, but as time grew closer to his sacrifice, his abilities seemed to want to make themselves known to the public.
     He looked up at the new blue star and cursed his powers and himself. He didn't want to be a priest, he didn't want to hide, he didn't want to be killed. He closed his eyes and tried to get back into the fighting spirit. But the ice reminded him of who he was and who he was reminded him that his time was short. He wished on the blue-lit star.
     "I don't know what made you pick my sky to shine in, dear star. Please answer my call." His voice, soft as a whisper, prayed to the star to expand his lifetime. Just for him to do a little more. He wanted to sneak away from the pack at night, long enough to just explore. There are buildings he's only heard of, but have never seen, right in his home, in his pack. Places he's never been to, right in front of him. He clasped his hands together tightly, closed his eyes and wished, while muttering the Priest's Prayer beneath his breath. He stopped and opened his eyes to gaze back up at the star.
     His eyes opened wide.
     It had gotten bigger.
     It had gotten closer.
     It was directly above the altar.
     With glowing white eyes, the star was gazing down at him with its approach.


© 2011 Mys Michelle


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
Added on August 26, 2011
Last Updated on August 26, 2011