Part 6 of 6

Part 6 of 6

A Chapter by Mysterygrl20

Monday, December 17


My alarm blared for what seemed like the tenth time this morning. Looking at the clock I had just turned off, I sprang out of bed scarring my cat in the process. I hastily pulled on some jeans and a shirt. I barely had anytime to collect my school books that had been strewn across my floor in an attempt to study for one of my classes. I pulled my hair back hastily as I descended the stairs, bag across shoulder and helmet dangling off my arm. Winter was practically already here from how cold it dropped. Snow flurries fell from the still dark skies at 4:45am. Good thing I dressed warmly. I zipped up my leather jacket with gloved hands and tightened my green scarf around my neck. Starting my bike that was parallel parked by my apartment, I let it warm up some before taking off down the road to the coffee shop.


I parked it at the same spot as always in the square parking lot and ran towards the shop after waiting on the light. I practically skidded to a stop as I reached the door handle and yanked it open.


“Dang Matty. Rough night of studying?” Jerry said as I was taking off my scarf and walking to the back room. There was only one customer sitting at the table for it to be 5am.


“Yeah, it's finals week,” I replied back as I stripped my bag and jacket off of me tossing it into a heap on the floor. “Get a coffee ready for me, extra shot of espresso.” I said as I made my way back to the front.


“Already ahead of you there,” Jerry said putting a cup with my name on it in my sight from Gerald's side. I reached for my wallet in my pocket all about to pay for it when he stopped me. “No, this one is on me. Enjoy it.”


I sipped on the morning energy with ease and I got into work mode.


Time flying by when the morning rush entered around 6:30. Soon enough it was almost time for Dexter's daily visit. I haven't seen him much since our ice skating adventure last week. Sure he stopped by my house with a flower twice during the week, Wednesday and Saturday, but we only chatted for a little while before one of us had to leave.


I was working on someone's order when I saw the ambulance drive by. It's siren wailing through the coffee shop. Someone must have hit some black ice or something; happens all the time.


I thought nothing of it and continued to work, trying to push crazy thoughts out if my mind. The thing is that Dexter still isn't here.

I finished the last drink before heading to the back room for a break. Finals week for me means more morning hours and open afternoons for studying. I have a test every night this week, fun, not. My phone showed no texts or calls from Dexter about canceling. Maybe he just didn't want to come in today. Or he accidentally slept in like I did since its finals week. I would too if my tests were at 6pm and I didn't have a job. You get a better full night's rest and plenty of time during the day to study.


Anyways, I don't get off work until ten so I have another two hours of making drinks. Not many people order frappes in the winter; I'm mainly stuck making hot cocoas and teas. Gerald on the other hand gets swamped with black coffee orders, it's amazing that he doesn't have a third helping hand over there.


It was sometime after nine am when I heard a light crash, like the muffled drop of a glass cup, that came from one of the back rooms, probably Jenkins' office since none of us are on break. The shop was fairly empty. Jerry and I shared this weird look. Jenkins must have gotten a bit too riled up with his video games.


A few minutes later he came out to the front. His hair was sticking up in odd places like he was pulling at it.


"Matty, get your things." His words were rushed. Am I being fired or something?


"What is it?"


“I don’t have time for questions. Now get your things and let’s go.” He face looked tense and distressed. I just looked at him then at Jerry. He had a freaked out sort of look on his face.


“Fine.” I threw my hands up in the air in defeat and shuffled to the back for my things.


Jenkins didn’t say a thing as we walked to the parking lot. His hands were in his pockets messing with the loose change and car keys. He’s nervous about something that’s for sure. When we got to my bike he just told me to follow him. Nothing more, nothing less.


What in the world is going on?


It was ten minutes, ten crucial minutes of following Jenkins’ rusted blue speeding truck. When I saw him take the turn lane for the hospital, I about slammed on my brakes. A million questions popped up in my head all surrounding the same thing: Dexter. I lost Jenkins in the parking lot so I took the first parking spot and ran to the front doors of the hospital.


Jenkins was in the lobby pacing back and forth, his fancy smartphone in hand. He stopped pacing when I came up to him and grabbed my hand leading us to the elevator.


When the doors closed, I asked the dreaded question. "Now will you tell me what happened?"


He sighed taking a hand over his face, "He was skateboarding down this one road and a car hit him. The jerk had run a red-light."


The doors opened up to our floor and I was frozen to the wall of the elevator. Jenkins had to pull me out before the doors closed again.

I took an uneasy breath, "So what's the damage?"


"Why don't you see for yourself?" Jenkins pushed open a door and I slowly walked in.


Dexter lied still on the bed sleeping. His left leg was elevated on the bed, a bright red cast covered up to his knee. His right arm had a fluorescent green cast around his hand up to the elbow.


He just looked so hopeless laying there. I held his left hand giving it a light squeeze.


"Matty, I �" I’m sorry."


“What are you sorry for Jenkins? This isn’t your fault.”


“No it’s not that.” He sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. “Aren’t you wondering how I knew he was here?” I let go of Dexter’s hand and thought about it.


“You got the call at your office. Why would they call you?” I pointed at him.


“I’m his cousin. And he works at StarTwix.”


No wonder I could never find him at the other stores. He was always at work when I wasn’t at the store.


I sat on the bench in the room, at a loss for words.


“Di�"did you know�" about the�" about us?”


Jenkins sat down next to me, putting an arm around my shoulder. “Listen Matty. He came to me about it. I just helped him along the way, pulled a couple of strings for the two of you.”


I sat there trying to take everything in. Dexter went to Jenkins for advice?


“Look, I have to be back at the store. Why don’t you stay and study for a bit. It’ll help get your mind off of things." He stood up, while I kept staring at the floor. Then he did something unexpected. He pulled me up into his arms for a bear hug. My emotions got the best of me.


After a while of me somewhat sobbing on his shoulder he said, "He's going to be fine. Alright?" He pulled back looking me straight in the eyes. I nodded wiping away some stray tears. "I'll see you soon."

And with that he left, leaving me with a sleeping Prince Charming.

 



I had been studying for the past two hours trying to keep my mind at ease when a nurse walked in. "Oh, are you his girlfriend?" 


I was in the midst of taking a sip of the coffee Jenkins had brought earlier with lunch, but now I'm semi choking on it. Girlfriend?


After I cleared myself of the coffee obtrusion in my throat, I said, "Oh no. I'm not his girlfriend. We're just..." I paused looking for the right word. "Close friends." Although now that I think about it, I kind of wish I was his girlfriend.


"Close friends?" She asked and I just nodded. "Alright." She shrugged and continued to check the IVs and stuff before walking out.


When the door clicked shut, I went back to my studying. 

 


 

"Matty." A voice said. "Rapunzel." 


"Matilda," the voice said again shaking my shoulder and waking me up. 


"Hmm?" I looked up from my tangled arms to see Dex sitting on the edge of his bed. My books splayed out on the floor. I must have knocked them over when I dozed off. I yawned and stretched lightly. "How are you feeling?" I asked him.


"Fine actually... Wait nope the pain just hit." His face scrunched up. The IV was no longer connected to him. The nurse must have come in again. 


"Shouldn't you have your leg propped up?" 


"A little help?" I got up and helped him lift his leg back on the bed. How he got it down was beyond me. A glance at my watch showed I still have time before one of my final exams, but I still napped for too long.


"So how are you going to take your exams?" I asked. 


"Jenkins is taking care of it. I can still write; I'm left handed but I don't know when they will release me so I get a teacher here to watch me test."


"That's good-"


"Hey Matty."


"Yeah?"


"I know this is probably bad timing but will you be my girlfriend?" He looked at me with puppy eyes. 


My eyes widen and I practically choked on my own spit. Yes. Of course yes. Oh wait out loud. Or...


I planted a kiss. "How's that for an answer?"


"Best answer you could give me." He smiled and kissed me again. 

 

The end.



© 2013 Mysterygrl20


Author's Note

Mysterygrl20
So... how'd you like the ending?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on May 16, 2013
Last Updated on May 16, 2013


Author

Mysterygrl20
Mysterygrl20

Montgomery, AL



About
Hi there! I am Jean, or Jeanie. I currently have a four book series running in my head but only the first 3 are partially written. I have a few short stories also. Book 1: Damsel Always in Distres.. more..

Writing
Part 1 of 6 Part 1 of 6

A Chapter by Mysterygrl20


Part 2 of 6 Part 2 of 6

A Chapter by Mysterygrl20


Part 3 of 6 Part 3 of 6

A Chapter by Mysterygrl20