Unpolished Pearl

Unpolished Pearl

A Poem by NJ Schneider
"

I was having a 'happy with myself' moment.

"

I'm just your average teenage girl.
I'm not as skinny as I would like and my hair is never how I want.
My room can't stay clean for longer than a couple days,
I have more shoes then I will ever wear,
And yet I still wear the same exact pair.



School work and grades aren't as important to me as love.
I just want to fit in and be accepted for me.
I don't like people seeing me cry for it makes me feel weak inside.
Spiders and the dark are what terrify me,
But it isn't the dark as much as it is what I cannot see.



I'm just your average teenage girl,
Obsessed with a different boy every week swearing each time I'm in love,
I get my heart broken just as easily as it is fixed,
Though every time still feels like the first time,
And I despise when my English teacher asks us to rhyme.

 

 

The now doesn't hold a candle to the future in my mind.
I dream of princes and castles in a far away land,
And wish for love, marriage, and a family of my own.


Many would just call me an average teenage girl,
But I say "I'm just an unpolished pearl."

© 2008 NJ Schneider


Author's Note

NJ Schneider
What did you think??

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

i love that ending - i love the unpolished pearl idea. and i love how you were refusing (mostly) to rhyme, and then there was the line about hating how your english teacher makes you rhyme. i liked that :)

there were some great lines here, and it was a common topic, but you were able to twist it enough to make it your own. great job

hugs


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this poem is so sweet and the ending makes it extra charming. I am 31 years old and i relate to the feelings you write about here. Holding on to who you are, wanting to recognize your uniqueness and not be told you are just in a category of ordinary. this was beautifully written.

Posted 16 Years Ago


I completely agree with ZoeJane word for word and somehow I believe she knows what she is saying...As far as crying goes, I think it takes bravery of the grandest kind to let someone see your suffering glide down your cheek in tiny silver droplets of what was known-not lost. A heart of ice and stone lives and breaths in those who refuse to let tears exist in their own eyes...This I know first hand...Be proud of who you are and what you do, but do not be so foolish as to think you are perfect. We can always change for the better and ( slightly over seen )for the worst.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent way to phrase it :)

All of us here on the WC are 'unpolished pearls' in at least some regards, and it really doesn't matter what others call us, because we know that we have room to improve and that nobody is perfect.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You capture the idea of the teen search for self here. Very well written, and many well penned thoughts.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love the message in this. Just remember though, if you keep fantasizing about the future and far off lands you will never be happy in the here and now. Great poem. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. I really love it- this is one of those poems that ends with me thinking wow. maybe because it's so easy to relate to yet i often refuse to admit this stuff even to myself. you did a wonderful job. I love the way it read, I think it's just a great poem altogether. I love it.

~Nana Carmine

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on February 6, 2008

Author

NJ Schneider
NJ Schneider

Santa Rosa, CA



About
My name is Niki and I'm 25 years old. I'm from a small town in northern California and I'm not really sure if writing is my thing but I've done a lot of writing in the past. I first posted on this s.. more..

Writing
Words Words

A Poem by NJ Schneider


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by NJ Schneider



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..