2. Dealing With Dad

2. Dealing With Dad

A Chapter by Naomi
"

Haven's forty-two year old father decides to marry a 28 year old woman named Cynthia and Haven has to deal with learning a surprising secret..

"
It was about seven in the morning when I woke on this sweet Saturday. With no school and no homework, I decided not to run down to the library to check out new books. Instead, I made myself breakfast with delicious scrambled eggs, Danish pancakes, a glass of milk, and an orange. I had just bitten into my pancake when I remembered that Dad wanted me to call him today.

I pushed my plate away and practically skipped over to the phone. Not that I was excited to call him or anything, It was just that I wanted this day to go perfectly. I wanted it to be relaxing so I could finish up on some studying before I went to an book signing at Barns & Noble around two this afternoon.

I dialed my fathers number and waited for him to answer. He did so on the fifth ring. I could here his deep voice as he threw out a "Hello?".
"Dad? I'm sorry if I interrupted you at work but I remember mom told me to call you today." I said.
"I'm not at work. No worries, hun. I just wanted you to call so I could personally tell you the amazing news. Hopefully, you'll react well." My father explained before continuing "Cynthia and I are getting married, sweetie! She's pregnant!" he said with such certainty that it somehow confused me.

My perfect day was running down the drain. I now had goosebumps up and down my body and I could feel my brain shutter on and off in shock. In that instant, I went from hating my father to hating him with a passion so deep, I hoped he would just fall off the face of the earth. 

This man I called my father deserves no congratulations from me. After all, he did ruin my childhood. Dad was never home when I was a child. He always found a way to stay at the bar all night. Since he worked at one of the best publishing houses in Arizona, he could always find an excuse to stay as late as he wanted. To top it all off though, I'd have to say the worst thing my father has ever done is when he left my mom and I when I was just five. He left us for a twenty-one year old intern when he was thirty-five. The two had flirted all night long when my dad had stayed late at the office "working". Cynthia was flipping twelve when I was born and he wanted to be with her. How the hell am I supposed to deal with them spawning a child? 

After my experience with Thom, I saw that Cynthia was a horrible person inside and out. Cynthia is the kind of person who you just expect to see with five pounds of makeup, a tank top, and a mini-skirt at 70 years old. She just never grew out of her teen years. I may have the ability to tolerate such people, but if I where Cynthia's child, I'm pretty sure I'd die by age three. She still partied all night long, for Christ's sake. Cynthia was an alcoholic and an ex-druggie. She'd encountered most of the drugs at twenty-three. My dad helped her out of it, paying for therapy, classes, and rehab. I thank God that I quit all that nonsense at fifteen after Thom showed me my mistakes, even if he turned out to be a jerk. Screw it, though. If Dad wanted me to be as happy as he was, I'd give him a show before turning on him.

"Oh my gosh, Dad, That's terrific!" I squealed into the phone with fake enthusiasm.
I could hear my father sigh, probably thanking the heavens that I reacted well. He should be. I could've snapped at him. 
"Honey, I'm so glad you think so. I was worried that, like your mother, you'd be screaming at me again. I love you, okay? Wait...One second Haven, Cynthia and I have to ask you something."
"Okay?" I said, my left eyebrow rising in confusion as I wondered why the hell he suddenly had the right to talk about my mother like that. She NEVER yelled. Mom was always supportive, unlike my stupid a*s father. 
"What is it?" I sighed, trying to rid myself of frustration as I yearned for this conversion to be over as soon as possible. 

I could hear Cynthia yanking the phone away from my father. Rude, much?
"Haven! Oh, my God, you're going to love this." she practically yelled at me."Me and your father," she started.
"It's 'Your father and I', Cynthia." I corrected her.
Cynthia stopped talking for an instant, and I felt a wave of satisfaction flush over me as I smirked slyly.
"Okay, smarty-pants." she finally said with a small laugh. Oh yes, she was annoyed...and possibly pissed. Their would be some fighting between the two of them tonight.
"Your father and I have decided to give you the right to be the baby's godmother. What do you think?"

I think you can guess what I said to that. I felt like dying. What the hell was my father thinking? I couldn't take that kind of position in a child's life. I'm sixteen years old and I'm struggling to find out what I want to do with my own life. Yet, I told my dad yes. I couldn't live knowing that this child had to be raised simply by my uncommitted father and the horrible Cynthia. Now, I'm on a plane to Florida to help Cynthia throughout her pregnancy. Kill me, please..


© 2011 Naomi


Author's Note

Naomi
Is it okay?
I know it's mainly dialogue so, I'm sorry about that..

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good. I liked the first chapter better but it's just i'm not a fan of dialouge

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really enjoyed the first chapter. This one felt like a little bit of a let down, not so much that I won't return to continue reading. I like that you're building out the characters, but as suggested, a little more history would have put a really nice shine on this. So far the story is holding my attention, will wait patiently for the next installment. Overall a pretty good piece!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hmm, hmm, this is good! Makes me wonder what's going to happen next! I think the dialogue is very well written; realistic, intriguing. Keep it up!

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
idk
I like it. Can't wait for more, I need to find out what happens to Haven when she's in Florida!

Posted 12 Years Ago


It is very good dialogue. Stories need history and character building. You are doing this. I like the ending. Her going to Florida to assist is a good thing. Thank you for a excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


As usual another good write, I like the way you portraid, the hole scene with Haven and Cynthia, can't wait to see it play out!!!:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Not as groundbreaking as the 1st chapter but still a good read. I like the protagonist, very solid character.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 8, 2011
Last Updated on November 11, 2011
Tags: pregnancy, love, marriage, divorce, father


Author

Naomi
Naomi

Somewhere :P, IL



About
My name is Naomi. I've been writing since I was six or seven. I have another account, Naomi233, but I kinda stopped going on it a while ago. Anyway, I hope you enjoy my writing. (: table table ta.. more..

Writing
Bloody Angel Bloody Angel

A Poem by Naomi


Warning. Warning.

A Poem by Naomi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Love Love

A Poem by Zoe Jay