Day in the Life #2 (London)

Day in the Life #2 (London)

A Story by Nathan S
"

A typical day in my life - #2

"

It was movie marathon day and I was excited. I just finished my very first semester at University and was at my Sisters place. She also had the weekend off. (Little background about my Sister: she’s a biomedical scientist living with her husband in Dorchester) All three of us had nothing to do that day, although I could have been revising for exams. Anyway, I put revision off till tomorrow or Monday because that way I could be all on my own in the house with no distractions. So back to the point: today was movie marathon day.

The three of us said that three movies would be enough for the day to pass. One chosen by me, one chosen by my Sister (N) and one chosen by my brother-in-law (K). Just as we were about to choose; K got a phone call. K said he had to urgently go to London for the day for business purposes. N thought it would be a good idea to tag along. So that’s exactly what we did (N and I). All three of us were going to London. So today turned from movie marathon day to going to London day.

London was right in front of us. All three of us hopped straight in the car. No thought of anything else, no waiting around planning for what it could be. It just was. All three of us were in the car ready to go and Bam! Bird poo pretty much slammed in front of us on the windshield. We could only laugh and say ‘thank god it wasn’t on our heads’. Ha-ha.

Anyway, we ended up listening to music all the way to a service stop on the motorway. The stop was purely for food, but what happened next will blow you away. We saw Benedict Cumberbatch! You know, from Sherlock. I was excited. Me and a friend named S from Uni watched all seasons of Sherlock (2 at the time) back-to-back over 2 days and loved it. First thing was first though: I asked for a picture. So after all that, we finally ended up doing what we came for, and that was for some KFC.

We make it to KFC and ended up ordering our usual meals. It was a long que, and we finally got a place to sit and eat. As we were eating we realise (after a second or so) that our meals are to each other’s right, so we each had to shift our meals one to the left. It was interesting and just funny to watch as we did it. Anyway, we were finished and off to London.

So London was near, only a few more miles to go to reach K’s destination. His business purpose would last an hour or so. So, me and N had some time to kill (an hour ha-ha). Me and N decided we would just stroll around and see where we could go for an hour or so. We ended up finding a huge park.

The park was cool. It was just a stroll about. The view was spectacular. The colours of all the different flowers, bushes and trees complemented by the ponds, swans and birds was keeping us staring in amazement for a while. We only had 45 minutes left to mess around before we had to meet K at his location. We decided we would stay in the park till it was time to go.

I can’t talk about the scenery enough. It was beautiful; it was tranquil; it was just perfect. Almost has if we had a spike of serotonin in our systems. (Our pupils could have been severely dilated at this point ha-ha) We had 15 minutes left to wonder like little children discovering the world for the first time.

Anyway, we went in a circle and found ourselves at our starting point. It was time to go. We walked back to meet K and noticed a McDonalds right by us. We grabbed a bite to eat and headed for the car. K reversed out; me and N got in and we hit the road back home. I’ll have to admit the park was the best part of the day. I know N would certainly say so.

So there we were, in the car with a 2 or 3-hour journey ahead of us. The journey was calm, peaceful and nice. It was almost like the park effect had been lingering though me. Music had been playing throughout and we had been talking and laughing. We felt connected.

‘We’re home’, N exclaimed, and we were. We were home. The day had almost come to an end, but as we got inside we realised there was only one thing left to do, and that was to end going to London day right. Yep, it was to end the day with a movie. We next had the difficult situation in picking the movie all three of us wanted to watch. K dropped in and said: ‘I’ll leave that option to you two’. I then said ‘fine, I’ll drop out too’. So it was done. N had to pick the movie to end the day. It was going to be Escape of the Dead, a horror/slasher film. She mainly chose it for the thrill and horror type aspects of the movie.

The movie was fun, the popcorn was sweet, and the day had come to an end. Both N and K said they were going to bed. I said I was going too, but realised as I got into my room I could do a bit of revision for my end of 1st semester exams. I had 5 exams; I had almost 2 months to revise for them. So I sat down and planned on how I would go about it for the next 2 months. It was a simple task in the end: I would switch revising modules every 2 days.

It was time for bed.

Day done.

© 2018 Nathan S


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

Stats

107 Views
Added on February 1, 2018
Last Updated on February 1, 2018
Tags: london, day in the life, history, nonfiction

Author

Nathan S
Nathan S

Swindon, South West, United Kingdom



About
I'm a University graduate and up-and-coming Short Story writer. I have a collection of 1000-word 'Day in the Life' Short Stories which I will be releasing here. On a side-note I love to play the Class.. more..

Writing