Day in the Life #3 (The LCD Setup)

Day in the Life #3 (The LCD Setup)

A Story by Nathan S
"

A typical day in my life - #3

"

I had just woken up. The night from yesterday was heavy and filled with excitement. (Anyway, that’s a story for another time) It was about 10am; I got changed and headed to the kitchen to eat. I was starving. Anyway, I walk into the kitchen (our flats communal area) to find a massive 40-inch LCD television on the kitchen table plugged into an Xbox 360, plugged into a PS3, and plugged into a DVD player. I was amazed at what I saw. The kitchen is never usually like this. We normally just sit around, talk and eat. So I see this massive setup and I see the 3 guys who did this: S, V and J.

‘Check this out’, S said. I sat down next to them while V and J were playing FIFA 14 on the PS4. Our kitchen is big enough to fit about 100 people in and not have any room to move. So It’s big enough. Our seats, well they’re like 3 long planks with cushions on them. One in the centre while the other two are perpendicular on either side. Then there’s the table, that’s in front of every plank. So it’s basically a square table in the middle while the planks are around it. By planks I do mean cushioned seats, ha-ha. Along with the playable/watchable setup, I see rolling papers, filters and tobacco on the table. Nobody is smoking now, and I do realise that it’s a no-smoking area, but that’s soon to change.

We each take turns playing each other on FIFA. It’s great when it goes to penalties. Tense enough for an adrenaline rush. My flatmate K rushes in the kitchen and says she’s got some exciting new. ‘So do we’, S shouts. S explains the setup to K and K replies: ‘ok, but I’ve got bigger news’ - This flat had been chosen for cleanest flat in the building and we were getting a secret prize for it. So me and J were stoked. I guess we all were to some extent. But, technically V and S aren’t from this flat, V’s from the one downstairs and S is from the opposite one, same floor. (Some background info: we have 6 people in our Flat �" me, J, K, N, O and E) Anyway, the prize, thinking back on it all, was a ticket each to go watch ‘The Greatest Showman’.

So now the 5 of us decide to turn everything off as K didn’t want to play. K was a girlie girl who didn’t like video games that much. As we turned it all off, E came into the kitchen. E said she was bored and had nothing to do. She didn’t like video games either. Now all of us were bored and had nothing to do. So we planned, and the plan was to leave inside and go out on a day trip all on foot.

We had decided the location: town. Town is a great place to wonder around and see something exciting. Especially in Leeds, town is huge and packed with at least one street performance a day. Anyway, it was time to leave. The 6 of us were off. Off on another adventure. This time, on foot.

So the journey on foot began. First out the flat door, then downstairs, outside our building entrance and to the road. S, V and J brought their rolling gear and tobacco along and each rolled one for the road. As we were all walking and some of us walking and smoking, we realised that in the rush we all had forgotten our keys to get back in. We knew nobody else was in mine, K and Es flat so we just decided to go and see what would happen when we came back.

The day was serene, orange and beautiful. It may have been a perfect summers late afternoon/evening. The streets were mainly populated with students. There were 2 big Universities in the area. We made it to town and went to get some sweets in Al’s Sweet Shop. Pic ‘N’ Mix was in order and necessary to fuel us for the moment. After, K and E went shopping while me, S, V and J decided to wait and sit down in town central watching the parade go by. S, V and J decided to light up their second cigarette each while we all waited and watched. S thought it would be funny to shout: ‘geek squad’ at the parade. It was kind of funny to watch half the parade turn around for a second, do nothing then continued marching as if nothing had happened.

Anyway, K and E had finished shopping and had me, S, V and J (the boys) carry their shopping back. So we were home. We had got in ringing the bell to be let in by O. O went back into his room after letting us in, V and S said they had to head back to their flats to get some revision and studying done. Now it was just me, J, K and E back in our flat kitchen. After a quick drink K and E also went back to their rooms. It was just me and J left.

‘One more match’, J suggested. ‘Okay’ I said. So we had one more match to end it all on our kitchen setup. It didn’t go to penalties this time, but I ended up winning 2-1 playing ‘El Classico’. (Barcelona vs Real Madrid. I was Barcelona) Well one more match turned into 2, then 3, then 4 and finally 5 ha-ha. It finally ended, and I forgot who won all of them, but it was a great 2 hours or so. I had totally forgot about my revision and was going to head back to my room to get some done.

I was now in my room, had a shower, got changed and I’m now ready to revise. I had some crisps first and then finished the day revising.

Day done.     

© 2018 Nathan S


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on February 1, 2018
Last Updated on February 1, 2018
Tags: lcd setup, day in the life, history, nonfiction

Author

Nathan S
Nathan S

Swindon, South West, United Kingdom



About
I'm a University graduate and up-and-coming Short Story writer. I have a collection of 1000-word 'Day in the Life' Short Stories which I will be releasing here. On a side-note I love to play the Class.. more..

Writing