The Hunt

The Hunt

A Chapter by Lucas Core
"

BEGINNING OF "CATCHING THE WIND" BOOK! :D

"
"Quickly, don't let it get away!" The shout of Papa Bear emanates through the entire forest, awakening all within it's premises, almost like a good morning call, if that were truly the case. Just as quick, the hunting group begins to pelt towards the golden cat. The archers begin to get into position as Ashe calls out "fire!" The arrows narrowly miss the golden cat as it heads for the river and into the other side of the forest as it effortlessly leaped above the river.
"Don't chase it!" Papa Bear shouts, motioning for the hunters to stop who were clearly confused at this sudden change of plans.
"And why?" A seething Ashe stumbles forward, having injured her right leg before our initiation on the beast.
"Beyond the river," Papa Bear points towards the place the cat had initially leaped above,
"it's too dangerous." Ashe glares at her deputy although she knew. She knew that no soul was to venture past the great river that divided the two planes of the forest in half.
"Urghh! It's your fault we lost it, your voice is far stronger than your skills!" Turning tomato red, Papa Bear was beginning to retort back when Ashe leaves, sighing and shaking her head.
"Well, go on! We might as well catch our breath before attempting another lousily led hunt by an injured leader!" That was a clear jab at Ashe's plan. The hunting party disperses, all trying to catch their breath or eating a small morsel of food that we had brought for the hunt.
The area is rocky and the throng of trees whose peaks were in line with the sky were now gone, replaced by bushes here and there. I've never set foot on such anonymous grounds.
"And that was the biggest cat I've seen all year and HE had to ruin it!" I let out a small chuckle. Papa Bear wasn't the keenest of people, never wandering into other's business unless the circumstance begged for it, which in this case, it did.
"Anything else, amateur hunters?" The small group of males shut their mouths, clearly intimidated by the intense glare of the deputy.
"Acemi, would you mind being a lookout while we rest?" Papa Bear asks, I shake my head.
"Not at all Papa Bear!" He nods back in my direction, pointing towards a throng of trees near the river.
I make my way to the area I was intended act as a sentry. This way, I'm able to look around the area in a better scope. The rocky terrain extends past the river as far as the eye can see. Judging from the difference, it's clear the other half of the plane is a rocky place, with little to no trees which is the complete opposite of our side which is inhabited by trees of all sizes, shapes, and features.
I see Papa Bear chastising the archers, a small group of males and females around twelve or fourteen about their aim situated near the border where the rocky platform meets the leaf covered terrain of the forest with it's dark dirt and flashes of sunlight escaping through small holes in the sky covered with the heads of the giant trees. Truly, they seemed like giants. Ashe, the leader of the hunting party sits with her close friends, all planning the next move for the hunting party. The young men who go in for the kill are all situated near an almost complete tent. I look to the sky which is now hazy in color, announcing the beginning of night. Then I see my group, the understudies, who are to study under a potential master. There are four of us: Sakura, Leona, Lucas, and I: Acemi.
I sigh, wanting to immerse myself in whatever they were laughing about. Soon, I thought, soon.
"Quite the view, eh?" I jerk my head the left to see Papa Bear smiling.
"Yep! It's beautiful!" Truly, this statement was an understatement. Even with all the "giants" hovering above the earth, the sight was truly mesmerizing.
"Hey, Papa Bear?" Papa Bear looks at me, a "what is it" face made plain on his face. "Why can't we go to the other side?" I see Papa Bear deep in rumination before he answers my question.
"Because it's always been that way and will stay that way. Now, don't you want to go spend time with them?" Papa Bear points his thick fingers towards my friends and I smirk before making my way towards the understudy group.

~ CATCHING THE WIND ~

"Always a keen child, that Acemi." Papa Bear turned his soft gaze away from the running understudy to find Ashe, with her sapphire colored gown and thick, jet, black hair looking at him.
"Mhmm. I do wonder, will that mind lead us to victory or defeat?" Ashe chuckled before wrapping her arms around Papa Bear's waist.
"Victory, I'm sure of it. She won't fail the test, she's too," Ashe stopped, trying to search for the correct word, "observant and intelligent." Papa Bear smiled at this response before making his way towards a complete tent.
"Good job men! Now, make more!" Papa Bear laughed in jolly as the young men all sighed, eyeing their sore hands and legs.


© 2014 Lucas Core


Author's Note

Lucas Core
FIRST CHAPTER! :D ALL REVIEWS ARE ACCEPTED!

~ Please ignore all grammatical errors, spelling, and such as this is just a rough draft! :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on August 9, 2014
Last Updated on August 9, 2014
Tags: Catching the Wind, fantasy, fiction, lucas, lucas core