Chapter 8: Test of Skill

Chapter 8: Test of Skill

A Chapter by Sera J. Lee

Phoenix was tapping her foot nonstop. She was so bored, which just annoyed her even more. She had been standing there for over an hour, the training room, in which every GALACTIC soldier trained in. Or in Phoenix’s case, she was taking her test of skill to join GALACTIC at the highest possible rank she could get.
“Will you knock off the tapping?” Cole said, bitterly with a glare to the girl standing in front of him.
“What else am I supposed to do?” Phoenix said, cocking her hip to the side. She crossed her arms and just looked at Cole, wondering what he was going to test her with.
Cole rolled his eyes and looked back at the clip board he was holding. He marked a few boxes and then glanced up at Phoenix. 

“Alright,” he said, putting the board to his side. “We’re going to test your fighting skills… If you win, you join GALACTIC and if you lose…well…” Cole smirked. “I think you know the rest of that, Nixie…”
Phoenix bit her lip, trying not to shout at him. She took a deep breath and looked over her shoulder. Director Killian stood near the door with Mrs. Kelsall next to him. Killian was smirking, which most likely meant he was looking forward to watching the show. He’d never actually wanted Phoenix to join GALACTIC, and if she failed this, his wish will surely be answered.
Phoenix looked back to Cole and grinned. “Yes, Sir!” she said. She saluted and smiled.
“Any questions?” Cole said, looking at the clip board.
“Just one,” Phoenix said, crossing her arms again. “Who am I fighting?”
“Me,” a voice said from behind. Phoenix was given a shiver and she slowly turned around to see her worst nightmare. “Pleasure seeing you again, Nix!”
The person standing there was Leif Wyrick, Commander of Squad One. His smug grin was taunting her, like usual. He wore the same uniform as Cole-which Phoenix didn’t think he disserved. His black hair was spiky and fringe was found to the side-which disgusted her even more with his silver eyes. She hated him with all her heart, but even she had to admit he was handsome in some ways.
Phoenix looked at Cole with a look that most likely could be read as, “You’ve got to be kidding me.”
Cole shrugged and continued with the explanation. “Commander Wyrick is the strongest among GALACTIC,” Cole pointed out. “So, it’s only fitting to fight him. Beat him and you will receive your rank depending on how well the battle goes.” Cole motioned over to the back wall, in which ever weapon made for combat was put. “Choose your weapon and then we’ll begin.”
Cole walked over to where Killian stood. He whispered something to the Director, which made a smirk grow on Director Killian’s face. He said something and then they both watched as Phoenix-along with Leif-chose their weapons.
Phoenix looked at the wall in front of her, seeing many ones she could choose from. But none were really to her likes.
Leif choose his, a double edge sword-a common weapon he used in combat. He was very skilled with it and was known for taking down an enemy in record time. But none of that mattered to Phoenix.
Leif took his place in the center of the floor, as he laughed at Phoenix’s slow decision. “Can’t choose, Nix?”
Phoenix flinched at the word. She balled her hands into fists and glared over her shoulder. But that was the reaction Leif was looking for.
Phoenix looked back to the wall and saw the weapon she wanted. She reached out for the steel pole and took it, about seven feet in length. After grabbing it, Phoenix made her way over to the floor, in which she stood a few feet away from Leif.
Cole and Director Killian looked almost shocked at Phoenix’s weapon decision. Was she really going to fight with just a simple pole?
Phoenix gripped the pole and stood it next to her side. She looked over at Cole. “So,” she said, “what are the rules?”
Before Cole could answer, Killian had already done so himself. “There are none, Miss Volante.”
“Begin…” Cole said, catching Phoenix off guard.
This was to Leif’s advantage and so he was the first to charge. He swung the sword, trying to make a quick cut for Phoenix’s stomach. But Phoenix was quicker than expected and jumped back before it harmed her. She gripped the pole in both hands and rested it against the ground, trying to keep herself from toppling over-which her knee helped with.
“You’re just like a monkey…” Leif said, smiling. His self-confidence infuriated her.
Phoenix stood to her feet and held the pole, waiting for Leif to charge again. Which he did, but just different from the first time. But Phoenix knew his fighting style. He tried going for her feet, but she jumped. But she was cut off guard at his sword slashing up through the air. She held her weapon in front of her-causing a loud clang-but she had stopped the sword from hitting herself.
Leif smiled, knowing she was completely open from her side. So, he took his leg and swept her feet out from under her, making her fall to the ground. He then took his sword and brought it down upon her. But her pole stopped the blow once again.
“A quick little one, aren’t ya…?” Leif said, his loss of breath starting to show.
“Will you shut up?” Phoenix said. She kicked his chest, causing him to stumble backwards. Phoenix jumped to her feet and decided to attack. She swung the pole, but Cole blocked the above attack with his sword. But Phoenix took the bottom and attacked him from the side-managing to hit him. But because of his rough build, it didn’t do much.
Phoenix grinned, but it faded when she was surprised by the sword coming from the side. But she wasn’t quick enough, and the sword had managed to graze her cheek.
“Too early to be happy, isn’t it?” Leif said, laughing.
Phoenix put her hand to her cheek, she pulled it away and looked at him. Blood had been drawn.
“Not quite…” Phoenix said, smirking.
Phoenix took the pole in her two hands and hit Leif’s wrist. But just from the one hit didn’t manage to make him drop the sword. But because of Phoenix’s fast reflexes, she had hit is elbow and hit the sword from underneath. Thus the sword flew away and Leif was left without a weapon.
Cole was about to call off the fight, saying as it looked like a lost. But Killian had stopped him. “This isn’t finished yet, Commander Chalet.”
Cole looked over and stepped back. Killian was right.
Phoenix smirked, but so did Leif. He grabbed the edge of her pole and pulled. She stumbled forward and he kicked her in the stomach. She was sent flying and she hit the ground-with a slight roll.
Leif threw the pole in his hands aside and took a step forward. “I told you it was to early to think you won,” he said, smiling. He could not see her expression, but he knew she was in pain.
Phoenix tried getting up, but her arms could not hold herself up, and so she crumbled to the ground again. Leif laughed at the girl’s spark, and he kind of felt bad that he had to beat up a woman. But it was his order for the day.
“You’re done, Nixie…” he said, putting his hands in his pockets. He took his foot and turned her over to her back. Then he was cut off guard by her foot kicking him in his chest-sending him to the ground.
Phoenix jumped to her feet and smiled. “Not quite…”
Leif jumped to his feet and grinned. They were both unarmed, which only left hand-to-hand combat. Him being a man, he thought he could win easily. But he was sadly mistaken.
Phoenix threw the first punch, but Leif managed to block it. He tried kicking her feet out from under her again, but she saw it coming. She jumped and kicked him in the side of the face, sending him to the ground.
Leif propped himself on his elbow and licked his lip. She had a really strong kick, for a woman that is.
He felt her kick him in the chest and sent him to his back. He was about to jump up, but he found the edge of his blade at his neck. He backed off.
Phoenix took the sword and craved an ‘X’ on his cheek. She then pointed it at his throat again.
“Leaving your mark on me, Nix?” Leif said, smirking.
Phoenix laughed. “Just marking your failure,” she said, laughing. “Your pride has already taken a major blow, saying as how you just got your butt kicked by a woman.” Phoenix tilted her head and smiled. “And isn’t your first rule never to let a woman get the better of you?”
Leif gritted his teeth. She was right. What made this worse was that now everyone in GALACTIC will know he was beaten by a woman. The first woman, to be exact.
Killian slowly clapped his hands and walked forward, causing both to look at him. Killian smiled. “Bravo. I have to say, Miss Volante, that was something. I might have had my expectations of you all wrong.”
Phoenix put the sword at her side and let Leif stand to his feet. “Thank you very much, Sir."
“Now,” Killian said, “saying as how you beat our first ranked officer,” Killian glanced at Leif, seeing his pride quite hurt. “Miss Volante, I will proudly give you the rank of Commander.”
“What?!” Leif and Cole shouted. It had taken them years just to get to the rank of Commander. Phoenix should have been no different. Just goes to show how much Killian favored Phoenix.
“Seeing as how you beat the strongest person in GALACTIC,” Killian said, still smiling. “You deserve to be on equal ground. You are now Commander of Squad Two.” Killian handed Phoenix a star, a star in which she was to wear on her uniform. A star in which said she was a Commander of GALACTIC.


© 2013 Sera J. Lee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on April 8, 2013
Last Updated on April 8, 2013


Author

Sera J. Lee
Sera J. Lee

About
There isn't really much I can say about myself... I love writing fiction, listening to music, and I'm actually one of those people that likes Anime (quite the Otaku). I write many stories, but I.. more..

Writing