Chapter 12: Mission Two

Chapter 12: Mission Two

A Chapter by Sera J. Lee

The soles of her shoes hit the plated ground hard as she ran down the hall. She had been called to Director Killian’s office just moments ago. But he didn’t really mention what for. Phoenix figured it was for another mission; hopefully, this mission would be better then the last.

Phoenix turned a corner, slightly slipping on the recently waxed floor. But she gained her balance and continued rushing toward Killian’s office.

The doors slide open and Phoenix slowed down her pace. She could hear her heart beating in her ears and she was panting like never before.

“Miss Volante,” Mrs. Kelsall said, standing behind her desk, “Director Killian-”

Phoenix held up a hand. “I know.” She leaned over, resting her hands on her knees, catching the breath she lost.

Phoenix took a deep breath as she stood straight. She looked at the glass doors of Killian’s office, and she strode toward them.

“Ah,” Director Killian said as he saw the brown haired girl walk through the doors, “I’ve been expecting you.”

“What is it you wanted, Director?” Phoenix said. For a moment she had completely forgotten the man was her superior.

Killian blinked at Phoenix. He gave a sigh and looked down. His hand strode across his desk, playing with the computer.

Phoenix looked up once she saw something pop up on the wall.

“You know of Kemoor City, correct, Miss Volante?” Director Killian said, placing his hands behind his back.

Phoenix looked at the picture. Lab Twelve was shown on the screen, but it was rubble. Metal poles stuck out from the ground and glass covered the dirt ground. Rocks pilled high from the ground. Bodies of those who didn’t make it out alive were also shown, laying on the ground next to the building.

“Y-Yes, Sir,” Phoenix said, looking to the ground. She couldn’t stand looking at the picture any longer.

“And”-Director Killian walked around his desk, toward Phoenix-”you know your brother has been spotted in that vicinity, correct?”

Phoenix was speechless, how could he have known she knew?

“Y-Yes, Sir…”

Killian stopped walking when he was behind Phoenix. “And you know that two members of Lab Twelve have been reported missing, along with Commander Chalet and Kaiden Volante, correct?”

Phoenix twinged at her brothers name, along with that of a dear friend. She couldn’t say anything about the situation to her superior. She was nervous, stressed, and above all else she was frightened. No matter how much she learned of the situation, she couldn’t get over how frightened she was already.

“Answer me, Phoenix,” Killian said. His voice was dark and caused Phoenix to jump.

“Yes, Sir…” she answered. “But I don’t see how this has anything to do with me being called here, Sir.”

“I’m getting there,” Killian said, walking past Phoenix. He stood behind his desk once again and pressed a few buttons on the keyboard. “I want you to go an investigate their disappearances, Miss Volante.”

Phoenix looked up, a smile hidden in her eyes. She finally able to figure out information about her brother, after all that time.

“Sir, I-”

“Hold on a minute, Miss Volante,” Killian said, raising a hand, “I’m not finished.” Phoenix closed her mouth and continued to listen. “I want you and your team to go to Lab Twelve and investigate the incident that happened there. Also to find a reason to why your brother was there.” Killian sat at his desk with a small sigh slipping through his lips. “I don’t believe your brother was the cause of this incident, but I intend to find out who it was that caused this.”

Phoenix bowed her head. “Yes, Sir. But, why are you letting me take this mission?”

“Because, you’re the one I can fully trust.” Killian leaned forward and crossed his fingers under his chin. “Plus, weren’t you saying how you wanted to learn about your brothers disappearance? I’m giving you the chance to do so. But you won’t be doing it alone.”

Phoenix lifted her head and raised an eyebrow. “Sir?”

“You will be accompanied by Commander Wyrick and his team.” Killian stood to his feet, setting his hands on the desk. “You leave in fifteen hours. I want this job done quickly, Miss Volante.”

Phoenix saluted, holding her smile back. “Understood, Sir!”

“You’re dismissed.”

Phoenix nodded and hurried out the door. She continued to run down the hall, happiness building with every step. She was finally going to get somewhere with her brother’s disappearance, and maybe even get somewhere with Commander Chalet’s disappearance.

Phoenix barged into the training room, making all the men stop to look at her. Their eyes scanned her and wondered why she looked so happy.

Phoenix looked around franticly, scanning all the faces. She noticed a few men trying to get her attention, but she could care less. She was looking for someone, and she found him. Standing in the back was the person she was looking for, talking to one of his comrades.

“Leif!” Phoenix shouted as she ran toward him.

Leif glanced up and turned his head toward the voice, only to be tackled in a hug. Leif blinked a few times, wondering if he was dreaming or if it was reality. But telling from the smirks on his men’s faces, it was reality.

“P-Phoenix?” Leif said, a bit surprised by the girls sudden display of affection toward him. Never once had she done something like this so open in public. But Leif couldn’t help but be happy towards the interaction, even showing a slight blush in his cheeks.

Right when Leif was about to get accommodated to the hug and place his hands on her back, she pulled away. Her hands were still wrapped around his neck. She was so close he could smell her perfume and the tint of mint in her breath.

“Director Killian is allowing me to investigate Lab Twelve!” Phoenix said, giving a smile. Leif knew Phoenix’s smiles were rare, and he knew this was a very rare chance. “Isn’t that great?”

Leif opened his mouth, finding himself a lost for words. Never had a woman made him speechless until Phoenix showed up in his life.

Phoenix hugged Leif again, but pulled away seconds later. “This is going to be so much fun!” Phoenix said as she began running back to the door. Soon she was out of sight.

Leif still stood there with his mouth open. He was still processing everything through his head, not even noticing the stares from the other men.

“It’s interesting how she can make you so speechless, Sir,” the man that Leif was talking to said.

Leif broke out of his trance, his face going redder then before. He cleared his throat, closing his eyes and stuffing his hands in his pockets. “Chastel, don’t ever mention this to anyone outside of this room…”

Chastel laughed and placed his hands behind his back. “Will do, Commander.”

Leif rubbed the back of his neck and stormed out of the training room, leaving everyone speechless by his embarrassment.


© 2013 Sera J. Lee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh my goodness! I love this story so much! Thank you for writing it, it makes me so happy!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 8, 2013
Last Updated on April 8, 2013


Author

Sera J. Lee
Sera J. Lee

About
There isn't really much I can say about myself... I love writing fiction, listening to music, and I'm actually one of those people that likes Anime (quite the Otaku). I write many stories, but I.. more..

Writing