Blooming Life

Blooming Life

A Story by Zephyr
"

Still with me...

"
It is raining. No, not a drizzle but a thunderstorm. Lightning flashes across the night sky and thunder cracks in the distance. The winds are raging and the rain is pelleting hard against the glass windows. I lay my head against the smooth glass panes, unfazed by the sound and the fury.

The thunderstorm is picking up momentum outside. I allow myself to grieve, along with the crying heavens. As long as the rain lasts, I will allow myself to mourn the loss of my other half.

Painful memories are dashing across inside my head. I let out a silent scream, desperate for her presence. I feel a huge void ballooning up inside me - an emptiness doomed to stay forever. Her loss has left me an amputee, crippled for life.

And then, I remember about the lone flower blooming in the far corner of my garden. And my heartbeat quickens. I hope it survives these torrential rains. I hope it lives. I hope...

I sit there like that for a long time. I can feel my eyes closing, weighed down by the deluge of tears. After what seems like an eternity, I sleep.
_______________________

I wake up to a calm, misty morning. Looking out the window, I see it. A shade of dark red curls on a mound. A sharp gasp escapes my throat.

I rush out of the bedroom, down the stairs and into the hallway. I fumble with the door locks for a minute before thrusting it open. I run across to the farthest corner of my garden, feet bare, heart pounding.

The flower has bloomed, full and bright. The red dewy curls are beautiful beyond description. I look down at the mound from which the flower bloomed life.

Beneath the ground, my twin sleeps. She may not be with me but this flower is a testimony that she is still alive. I look up to the skies and see a rainbow smiling down at me. For now, I am happy.


© 2020 Zephyr


Author's Note

Zephyr
Musings...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A wonderful story shared. You allowed the reader to understand your emotions and I liked the ending. The rise of a flower to create hope and someone watching us from heaven. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


Lovely story. Your narration took my mind to an imaginative land.

Posted 3 Years Ago


I love an anecdotal journey of prose with wistful subtleties, but not puzzling mysteries. Even tho your expressions are brief & sketchy, it's easy to understand this narrator's twin has died & a flower has bloomed on the grave which demonstrates that the dead one is still communicating with his twin. The symbolism is superb. I'm thinking how this could also be those times in life when we lose part of ourselves & then we see it glimmer back into existence, some aspect of ourselves that we've missed & which completes us. This is a well-balanced anecdote that reveals much about human nature & life (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


Beautiful story, impeccable imagery...simply loved it!

Posted 3 Years Ago


beautiful thoughts that life never leaves as we have something to hold on to

Posted 3 Years Ago


Wow! The descriptions and imagery are amazing! It really paints a picture in my head. I like the metaphors too. I really liked the line "She may not be with me but this flower is a testimony that she is still alive." It made me think of a quote I saw the other day that said "Someone is never truly dead until the ripples they left in the world fade away."
It's refreshing for the loss to be a twin instead of a significant other. This really gives me the same vibes from your other story, The Visit. Your writing is beautiful. Thank you for asking me to read it!
-B


Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 25, 2020
Last Updated on September 25, 2020
Tags: Life, Flower, Love

Author

Zephyr
Zephyr

India



About
21. Seeking the calm in the chaos. more..

Writing
Monsters Monsters

A Poem by Zephyr


The Visit The Visit

A Story by Zephyr


Mother Paradox Mother Paradox

A Story by Zephyr



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Flutterby A Flutterby

A Poem by Saumya