Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Nene

It was very early when I woke up, and not without cause. I wanted to find out more about this mysterious Talisani. I was going to find and capture him. This was my chance- my chance to prove to everyone that I wasn't completely inept, as I'd confirmed so effectively the day before. Only Cril and Viol knew about my unsanctioned mission, and both had been sworn to secrecy.

I sat up in bed and riffled through my thoughts, like pages in a book, trying to decide how to go about my research. My mind settled on the memory of his vanishing act, the moment his body had dissolved into the creature-beast and drifted out the door. It took a few reruns, but it finally clicked- he was a shape-shifter. It was a rumor I had heard a few years ago, something of a ghost story the older Lessers told the younger ones. It was the only explanation that remotely fit.

 

I slipped downstairs and sat on the peaceful Green, still painted with the watercolors of dew. I switched on my armband, gave it my search query vocally, and over the intercom came a clear, professional voice. "Shape-shifting. Also called transmutation. Once believed to be a myth, but in recent years, several credible reports have given the Tranquility Conventions across the world to believe otherwise. Experienced Witnesses are looking into this case. Transmuters are Naturals with the ability to change their forms at will, whether to a living or non-living shape. It is thought to be a genetic trait through the paternal line. There are accounts of both male and female transmuters, though this, too, is unconfirmed as of yet. They are considered highly dangerous, given their advantage. Therefore, any suspected transmuters should be treated with the utmost caution, and should be destroyed at all costs, as a threat to the peace of the Doves' Society."

 

My brow furrowed as I considered the information. It was just as I thought- Talisani was a danger. A serious enemy. But he was also my ticket into earning respect from the other Lesser Witnesses, along with the Lords and Ladys. Not to mention, of course, Cril.

"What are you doing out here?" Xerc stepped out from the door to the boys' division of the Dorm, his expression tainted with acidity.

 

I frowned. "I could say the same for you. I came out here to think."
 

Xerc shrugged, then stood up abruptly. "I was thinking, too," he admitted. "About...Viol."

I simply looked at him.

The boy's walnut hair ruffled in the breeze, and I noticed, for the first time, that it matched Viol's exactly. "Is she...you know. With Vin?"

I never once dreamed that Xerc would possibly like Viol. I wasn't sure if I was angry or not about it. On one hand, Viol was my best friend, and I really didn't want her with a jerk like Xerc. On the other, though, I had often noticied when Viol had shot covert glances at Xerc; if he might make her happy, I would have to accept it. "Nooo," I said slowly, wincing. "Ask her out, if you like." My martyred expression clearly expressed my distaste, but I didn't say anything more.

 

Xerc was suddenly like a big puppy rather than the horribly irritating coyote he usually was. He yelped, jumping up and blowing back inside. He poked his head out of the doorway. "Thanks, Melrose!"
 

I rolled her eyes as he left, then shuffled through the archives for a while longer before leaping up. I wasn't going to find out anything more today. Still half asleep, I headed towards the Dining Hall for breakfast. Selecting a granola bar and an apple, I slid into the seat Cril had saved for me, catching part of the conversation.

"-new notus," Rowe was raving enthusiastically. "Bet it pushs fifty-five, maybe sixty miles an hour."

"Yes, but the races are tomorrow," Viol reminded him sensibly from across the table. "Your notus won't know you yet, so you won't be flying your best." I couldn't help but notice that Xerc sat next to her, their shoulders brushing. Apparently, they'd already talked to each other. I sighed, knowing I would have to put up with him even more now.

"Are you all going to race?" I asked my friends, my soprano voice ringing.

Two of them shook their heads. "I'm not," Viol answered. "I need to study for Witness History- the exam's next week."


"Me, neither," Vin agreed. "You know I don't like flying much."

 

"Or heights. Or speed," joked Xerc, referring to Vin's extensive list of fears.

He made a face. "Yeah, yeah," he grumbled, picking up his tray and dumping it. "I've heard it all before." The others got up then, too, and the three of us Lessers- Vin, Viol, and I- went to the Academy for that day's classes, while the Lords- Cril, Rowe, and Xerc- and the sole Lady, Ava, reported to the HQ for the assignments.

Afterwards, Cril met me outside my final class. "Let's fly," he suggested. "After dinner? I asked the TC today. No surprise assignments tonight."

I gave him a bright smile.  "I'd love to. I'll meet you on the Green at seven."

In their dorms, Ava and Viol swarmed me. "Well? What's going on between you and Cril? Are you together?" Their voices dripped with significance.
 

I dodged that question deftly. "What about you and Xerc, Viol?" I didn't particularly want to talk about their love life, but it was better than discussing my own.

"No. No way. We've already established that. I want to know about you now," Ava insisted. "No holding back. Tell us everything."

 

I laughed, spreading out my hands "All right. I surrender. Cril and I are together."

"Does he like you?" Viol wanted to know.

 

I squirmed, not wanting to lie to them, but also not wanting to share such an intimate detail. Four eyes prompted me to speak. I sighed. "He said he loves me," I admitted, lowering my eyes.

 

Their reactions were just as exhuberant as I had feared. A resounding gasp echoed through the room. "And you?" Viol finally managed.

"Me, too. I think." I had never been in love before- how could I possibly know if what I felt was love? I personified all the symptoms, certainly. The image of him made my breath catch. When he spoke to me fondly, my face flushed pale rose. When his touch came, a flurry of rapid heartbeats followed. "We're flying together tonight."

Ava grinned in triumph. "Excellent. Very romantic. Cril's a good guy, Mel. I'm really happy for you."

 

Later that day, I stopped in to see Pala. She mystified me; unlike the other illegals, Pala was a young girl, like me. Maybe she even had thoughts, and feelings...hopes and dreams. Maybe her mother was out there somewhere- and Wes had mentioned Pala's father, too, hadn't he? I had no parents- Witnesses weren't assigned to any- but I knew the concept. Perhaps Pala had friends. A boyfriend. Hobbies and interests.

"You okay?" Don, Pala's guard, looked at me with concern.

I swallowed and answered. "Fine," I nodded quickly. "Just thinking. Can I speak to Pala?"

"Yup. The professor said you're given all rights to it," Don answered lazily. I noticed he never called Pala by her name, but rather "it".

I let herself in through the locked steel door, shutting it firmly, and sat down opposite the other girl, not worrying for a moment about my own safety. However much Pala might want her freedom, however much hate burned in her soul, she'd never be a match for me. Runners and Naturals rarely killed if they could help it, but a Witness like myself had no such qualms.

"What do you want?" Pala's voice was hollow, emotionless and without inflections. She's given up, I realized.

"I would like to talk to you. I can save your life if you tell me what I need."

Pala laughed bitterly. "My life? What is a life without liberty? Without family, or home? It's the existance of a shell, not a real life."

I absorbed that. "All right," I said finally. "So you have a point. If you answer my questions, I'll do my best to grant your freedom."

Pala grabbed my shoulder; Ididn't attempt to loosen her grip, mostly due to curiosity. "Do you swear it?" Pala demanded, nostrils flaring.

 

I hesitated for the most fleeting of moments. "Yes," I agreed eventually. "I give you my word that I"ll find a way to set you free." I lowered my voice to make sure that the guards outside couldn't hear before murmurring, "Whether it's legal or not."

Pala didn't release her vice-like grip on my arm. "Do you know what your'e promising?" She persisted.
 

A low hiss came from me. "You go too far, illegal," I snapped, not using Pala's name. "I know far more than you on this subject. Treat me like a Muddle, and you'll receive no more help from me. I know precisely what I swore. I gave you my word; I won't go back on it, but you've got to fulfill your end, too. Don't push me. Do you want my help, or not?"

Pala immediately dropped her head. "My apologies, Witness Melrose," she mumbled, using my full title. "I would be deeply grateful for any help you would give me."

I shook her head and looked away. "I cannot believe I'm doing this," I groaned. In truth, I hadn't the faintest idea why I was willing to go against what the Witnesses stood for, everything I had worked for...and all for what? Because, for the first time, I completely pitied the prisoner? Because of what Ava had suggested earlier- that maybe Witnesses were doing the wrong thing? Because of our similarities- our ages, for instance, or our mutual love of learning? Of course, I mused, the greatest connection between us is our innate insolence. Pala, the rebel citizen who was willing to give everything up for her freedom. Me, the Witness who was more wild, more daring, less conforming than the rest, who was willing to risk it all, just to set some random illegal free. "How old are you?" I said suddenly.
 

"I'm eighteen." So I had been right; Pala was a year my senior.

 

"Are you a Runner or a Natural? Why are you hiding in your uncle's house? What happened to the rest of your family?" I shot a slew of questions at my captive.

 

Pala didn't answer at first, though. "That's a very complicated question," she said slowly. "I was born a Natural. My mother died- giving birth to my little brother, who also died. Father was captured and killed recently. My parents were both Runners, though. Uncle Wes is one of those who can- could- resist the glutamic acid, but instead of running away, he stays within the Society, to help Runners escape. A Witness found me a few months ago, after my father's death. I was alone, and searching for a city of Naturals I'd heard of. Wes was looking for me, too, though, and he picked me up on his notus and we escaped. I'd been hiding at his place for three days, but his neighbor saw my face in tthe window and called you."

I was starteld by how entirely Pala grasped our system, about the 'vitamins' and the Witnesses' tasks. "I am impressed," I spoke. "You..." I turned away. "You are not what I expected."

 

Pala's expression intensified. "Because I'm not an idiot?" she spat, her voice as blunt as her square jaw. "Because I'm not a Muddle, like everyone else in your beloved Society?"

 

I ignored that. "Surely you know that they'll never let you go. They've never let any Naturals or Runners free; not unless they condemn others," she amended, giving the other girl a sidelong glance, sly and speculative. Pala remained a rock under her gaze. "Then I shall have to sneak you out."

 

Pala snorted. "Don't you think they'll notice?"

 

"No. Not until the next morning. By that time, you will be long gone, and I won't be blamed. The professors would never suspect the model student of treason."

 

Pala chuckled again. "You're kidding, right?" she raised her brows. "You can't be a model student. You seem like the troublemaker, the instigator of rebellion. Not the quiet scholar, even if you do seem smart enough. Even if you know Latin."

"About that. How did you learn? And did you know that I knew Latin?" I asked, frantically recalling our exact conversation the day before.

 

Pala shrugged, shifting her position on the twin bed. "My parents, since running away from your Society, learned to read. We lived out on our own, away from the Natural groups and civilizations, but we often traded with them, so we got plenty of books that way. And, to be honest, I had no idea you could speak Latin, too. I just started talking, and out it came."
 

I nodded. "You're lucky, then. If you hadn't startled me like that- speaking Latin- I wouldn't have listened to you at all. And I wouldn't be standing here, plotting to act against everything I believe in. Speaking of which, we need to plan this out." She shot Pala a meaningful look. "Now, I think I'll put some benzodiazepine in your guard's meal, to put him to sleep for a while. And don't worry. I can arrange that. I'll drag him away. If we've any luck at all, the other guards will be too preoccupied with themselves to notice. Chances are good. Then I'll unlock your door, call a notus, and you'll be on your way. End of story."

 

"But...what about you?" Pala's face was tight. "I can't leave you here."

 

I narrowed my eyes. "Don't be ridiculous. This is my home- the Academy, the Headquarters. My friends, my teachers, everything I care about is here. Nothing has changed, at least not in that respect, Pala." The past few days had changed me, though, however slightly. A week ago, I wouldn't have been calmly plotting the escape of a prisoner and the assault of a fellow Witness- compromising, of course, what the Witnesses stood for and demolishing my loyalty to our motto, "paix eternelle." "I have officially become Muddled," I announced.

 

Pala pressed her lips together, beginning to figure out when Iwas teasing or not. "But I'm worth it, right?" She grinned. "So when are we planning this Great Escape for?"

 

My bony shoulder blades curled forward as I thought. "You know, I'm not sure. I'll need some time to prepare, so allow me a week. Next Saturday, at nine o'clock, I'll be here." I touched Pala's shoulder; though we'd only known each other a few days, it almost felt like I was saying goodbye to someone I cared about, like Viol or one of my other friends. "I'll see you," I added quietly. "Try not to do anything stupid, Pala?" I pleaded before I stood up. "I would prefer it if you didn't die."

 

"Oh, you know me," Pala raised her eyebrows. "When have I ever been stupid?" She considered my words for a moment. "And do my ears deceive me, or did you actually just say you care if I'm alive or dead?"

 

I made a face. "Yes, yes," I grumbled. "I'm going soft."

 

Pala put a hand on my shoulder. "Friends?" she suggested, holding out her right hand.

 

Not answering, I wrapped my thin arms around my new friend, whirling and wrenching the door open before my face betrayed my feelings.

 

         *                  *                  *

I was so low on my notus, I was nearly prone. With this encouragement, it sped along at its maximum speed. Cril glanced sideways to grin at me, but neither of us spoke; it would have ruined the spell cast over us.

 

As we neared a clearing, Cril curled his body up to stand straight, and his notus slowed. I followed his lead, and the pair of us coasted easily to the ground, each stepping to the ground. I padded across the soft grass, making my feet tingle pleasantly, before I folded myself like water to the earth, sitting cross-legged. Seventeen years of agility training did something for my grace, if nothing else. Cril, his red-brown hair glimmering as it reflected the sun, sat opposite me.

 

"I need to talk to you," I told him solemnly. Though my voice was scarcely a murmur, it felt to me that I was shouting. "You're the only one I can trust." The wind stole my breath as I considered the risk I was taking, and I wanted to call it back, to force the wind to give up what it had taken.

 

Cril rested his arm lightly on my shoulder, but it felt to me that it was suspended, supported by his arm rather than my shoulder. Almost as though he were afraid that such a simple touch would break me. "You know you can trust me," he promised, lips twitching with emotion.

 

Oh, but I wanted to confide in him! To know that I wasn't alone. That I wasn't a freak, or a Muddle. But what if he gave me up, told the Tranquility Convention? I could be discharged, given the vitamins, and forced to become a Muddle. But as it was, there was too much to cope with on my own. "I'm setting pala free," I said carefully, watching his face. "My captive. I'm smuggling her out next Saturday. Will you help me?"

 

He merely chuckled. "No, you're not," he replied. "I don't believe you. I won't be played the fool in a few hours, when you tell my crew how gullible I was. Nice try, though, Mel." I could read the hint of doubt in his eyes, though, and it lent me the courage I needed.

 

"I'm serious, Cril. I made a deal with her- she told me everything she knew. Now I have to give her freedom." I was like a tropical storm inside, wild and uncertain, but my exterior was as cool as tepid bathwater. To my one-person audience, I must have appeared mysterious and in control of the entire situation. Nothing could be farther from the truth. "You have to help me, Cril."

 

His eyebrows jumped so high, I thought it likely they would disappear into his hairline. "You are serious." He stood up, half-pulling, half-carying me over to their notus. "Let's go home. The Witness Meds will help you. Overtired, that's all." Cril attempted to cover his expression, but I caught a glimpse of his face, stricken and wild with worry. He thought I was crazy. I could just hear the straitjacket cracks now.

 

"I'm not dropping my petals," I insisted. "Trust me. I'm just as sane as always. Which still isn't very good....but regardless. Just hear me out." Cril didn't move, one foot still on his notus. My hand slipped into his, and I pulled him back down. I widened my eyes, stretching out my index finger to trace his jawline. "Please?" I whispered.

 

I watched him struggle internally for a moment. Reading his face was like turning the pages of a newspaper. His conflict was spelled out clearly; which was more important to him, my sanity, or giving me what I wanted? The latter won out.

 

"All right," he agreed, hands reaching out as if he wanted to hold me physically together, to make sure my mind wouldn't suddenly fly away. "Why do you want to... release a captive?"

 

A breath blew from me, silent as a sigh. I'd been so sure that he, if anyone, would understand. Weren't we kindred souls? But that was meaningless now. There could be no hesitancy, or I could lose everything. In the question of all or nothing, I would not allow myself to lose everything. I had to show him my way of thinking. How hard could it be? "Have you ever felt regreet for anything you've done as a Witness?" I asked him quietly, thinking of all the horrors we'd inflicted on others, the murders we'd caused.

 

Oh, you may call me a hypocrite. And gladly, I would take it, for I deserve it. Just days before, I'd enjoyed catching the alleged criminals, and adored my perfect place in life. I was the cowgirl, and they were the Indians. I was the cop, and they, the robbers. My friends and I were doing our job to make the world a safer place. But Pala, an insignificant girl, was the catalyst to change that. If only we hadn't become fast friends. I could actually imagine myself in her place. That scared me, but I held fast. I had never turned down the opportunity for more knowledge, and I wasn't about to start  now. If I had been ignorant, that needed to be fixed.

 

Cril felt no such qualms. "No. Melrose, listen to me! This isn't who you are. This...this Pala," he hurtled her name at me like a curse word, "has poisoned your mind! She's plnated the seed of evil there. You can't let her! You are my Mel. I can't- I won't let you get corrupted by a silly captive. Stay with me!"

 

My eyes turned cold. "Thank you for understanding," I shot at him, my tone like hydrochloride. "Your grasp of my apparently feeble mind is astounding." I stepped up on my notus. "See you, Cril."

 

He wasn't about to let go that quickly, to my dismay. "Mel, wait! I'm sorry," he cried, jumping on to his own notus and soaring up next to me. "Look, you're right. If that's how you feel, I have to respect it. Just...please don't do anything rash."

 

I could feel my resolve softening. It sickened me, but as much as I fought it- the swords in the logical part of my brain flailing helplessly- I lost the battle. "You're forgiven," I muttered, allowing him to brush my lips with his own. I wished it were that simple; that, with a kiss, he could wipe away my problems.

 

              *                 *                    *

 

The next day, the seven of us spent our day on the golden meadow outside the Witness Complex, training for the races. I was more anxious than them than anyone- it was something that had absolutely nothing to do with raiding, with Pala or Wes. Fun, and nothing more.

 

I had decided to participate in only three races out of the nine total. The first was a 'girls only' run, the second a sprint, only 200 meters long, and the final was the long distance race that nearly everyone participated in. It traversed twelve miles over various terrains; mountains and valleys, fjords and plains, even skimming over a lake at one point.

 

I'm sure you've already noticed that I'm a proud sort of person, but I swear, I tell only the truth: I am a natural flier. Always have been. The bi-yearly races were a favorite activity of mine, mostly because, well... I was talented. I came in second to Jona in my first race and won the sprint with room to spare. I was feeling quite smug and relaxed for the last race, but also eager; all my friends, even Viol and Vin, had decided to participate in the last race.

 

"Mount your boards!" A member of the TC, Professor Retn, called out. "And...go!" We all shot forward like a double-lift fan in a single-lift notus. From there, all competitors had two choices. They could fly low to the ground and go full speed, but have to dodge the others, or they could fly high, away from the tight pack below, but had to fly much slower because the danger of falling had increased.

 

If you  haven't figured me out yet, I chose my own path; I flew above the masses, but at full speed. If you're not living life on the edge, stop wasting space, right? No one was surprised by that; they knew me, knew how competitve I was- but, to my surprise, Cril flew next to me. "Melrose!" he hissed urgently. "I need to warn  you. I-" his gaze was fixed ahead of him, determinedly not looking at me. "I told Professor Taro what you were planning."

 

Have you ever had someone you loved betray you so completely, so entirely that it seems time has stopped? I have. More than once, actually, but it still comes to the same end. First, you feel the numbness. You can't believe it. Surely the informer is kidding.

 

"No, you didn't," I told him, as calm as ever. My heart was fluttering, but I still didn't believe it. Cril, though, didn't say a word- his silver eyes, pained and regretful, spoke for him.

 

Next comes the anger, the indignance. How dare they treat you like that? did they think they could pull the wool over your eyes so quickly?

 

My fury blinded me. It was like standing in an open flame. No, I've never gotten around to trying that, funnily enough, but I imagine it feels the same. My skin was unnaturally hot, probably do to my heart, working overtime. I could feel every vein, every gram of tissue, every cell in my body ignite, more entirely than if I had struck them with a match. It took all of my strength to speak without screaming. "You are unbelievably lucky I'm too kind to push you off your notus. What is wrong with you, Cril? Do you want her to die?"

 

He frowned. "I wanted you to see sense, Mel. I wanted to protect you from yourself. I promised myself, I wouldn't let you be hurt by anything. They would have caught you if you'd gone through with it," he argued. "You'd have been discharged, and I'd never see you again. This way, Pala will just be exterminated, and you'll probably have to conference with the Professor, that's all. No harm done."

 

I let out a snarl that sounded more like a wildcat than a person. "Except murder! The death of an innocent person!"

 

Cril scoffed. "Except it's not a person, Melrose. It's an illegal. A Muddle run amuck."

 

I was still in furious- I never really did reach the forgiveness phase. I banked, spun my notus around, and gave Cril a last look, accusation mixed in with the hurt smoldering in my eyes. I shook my head slowly, then soared away, back to the Complex. I had to get Pala out of there, fast.

 

 

 

 

 



© 2008 Nene


Author's Note

Nene
This personally isn't my favorite chapter. The others are a lot better in my opinion. Constructive criticism NEEDED. Please and thank you! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

162 Views
Added on October 29, 2008
Last Updated on November 9, 2008


Author

Nene
Nene

About
Hey, everyone! My name is Nene (pronounced "neh-nay", it's short for Diane). I'm fifteen years old. I love writing, horse-back riding, going to movies with friends, and cross-country running. I'm an.. more..

Writing
Dead Ringer Dead Ringer

A Story by Nene


A Tempest A Tempest

A Poem by Nene