Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Riley Papale

 1.

The soft fabric of the couch hugs my bare feet, as I lift the heavy text book and prop it on my bent knee. I try to focus on the task at hand and bite the middle of my pin, the hard plastic clicking on my teeth. I push the rouge strand of hair out of my eyes and behind my ear, as I re-read the same sentence now for the thirteenth time.

“Ugh” I exclaim in annoyance. The banging and thumping outside my humble abode tearing my eyes away from the boring page. 

“Can’t a girl get some quiet?” I mumble, and narrow my eyes at the door, as if it’s the doors fault. 

I run my hand thew my hair, and look back at my book. The final exam is this Thursday, I know I wont pass, but a girl’s gotta try. 

A loud bang, screech of metal and something that resembled someone stepping on a dying cat, made me jump halfway off the couch. I dropped my book, the loud smack sending me into a all time panic, an into the back of the couch. Surprisingly the pin still cliched between my teeth. 

“God!” I pant, my hand shooting up to calm my racing heart.

I look around my living-room, the whites, blacks and grays seeming untouched by the unwelcomed disturbance. I nearly melt into a human size puddle once I realize that no monsters or bogeyman has came to do me in. I sigh loudly and creep off my sofa, the cold hard pale wood chilling my toes just a bit. I walk over to my front door, and lay my palms on the cold metal. I push up on my toes, and look thew the tiny peep hole. My view becomes disoriented briefly, as my pupil slowly begins to focus. I see a few cardboard boxes lying out in the hallway as a black bag catches my eye, full of god knows what, and slowly crosses the thresh hold into the apartment across the hall. 

“It’s a dead body!” I gasp before opening the door, and stepping out into the hall. Hopefully my new neighbor wasn’t really a killer, otherwise I would be walking into a trap..

I look down at my pink and black painted toes peeping out from under my flare jeans and wiggle them, they’re so pretty. Suddenly I remember why I’m out in the hall and look up. I walk across the hall and lean against the door jam, peeking inside the apartment

The apartment is furnished in reds, blacks and grays. A black leather sofa curls around a huge glass coffee table. Its wrought iron legs, keeping it steady. A massive flat screen T.V hanging off the white wall across from the sofa, a black and glass entertainment center, forming a protective box around it. A ps3, stereo system, and a few movies, games and DVDs rested inside it. Official movie and video game posters lined the white walls, framed in black outlines, the glass fingerprint free. At the far wall, across from where I stood, held up four guitars, one red, one black with white skulls, a plane black one, and another black one with the letters “REM” panted to look like blood on the body. The amp that stood beside it was massive. I continue to look around the room as the sound of a throat clearing makes me gasp and jump a bit. Damn I was jumpy today. My eyes follow the sound, to a tall broad shouldered, dark haired, walking sin if I’ve ever seen one. I sallow hard, as butterflies float around in my stomach, and my knees nearly drop me. I slowly take him in, my eyes scanning over his dark hair that fell over his forehead, and curled behind his ears. His crystal blue eyes, with lashes so thick they made his eyes look darker. His full perfect lips, that slid into a cocky smirk and his strong jaw. 

“Can I help you?” He said, his voice like a rich velvet, deep and a bit cocky. 

I blinked, once, twice, then nodded. 

He laughed softly, the sound causing goosebumps across my skin. 

He takes a few steps forward, his black boots echoing off the hardwood. I notice what he’s wearing for the first time. A tight black muscle shirt and jeans, a good look if I do say so myself. 

I push off the door jam and finally manage to speak. 

“You must be the source of all that noise then.” I say mater-of-factly, my voice,  thankfully, not showing my intense desire to pounce the man right then and there. 

I see his head tilt to the side, confused about my statement, then he smiles. 

“Most likely.” He says sweetly, then leans a jean clad hip against the back of his sofa. “I was told I would be the only person in the building, that most of the neighbors either worked or went to collage during the day.” 

He stuffed his hand into his front pocket, the muscles in his bicep bunching. I bit my bottom lip in response. 

After a full minute of me staring at his beautiful tan arm, he pushes off the sofa and drops it. “Would you like to come in?” He asks, his eyes watching me closely, as the smirk returns on his lips. 

My eyes lock on the floor and I smile a bit. “That’s nice, but I need to get home,” I say hitching my thumb back at my apartment door, as my eyes meet his. “I have to finish studying, I was just curious as to what was going on,” I shrug, “I can be a bit nosy.” I say laughing a little, then mentally kicking myself for being so lame. That wasn’t funny at all Lexi..Da hell?

The man nods once, but keeps his eyes on me. I feel them searching me, and I blush a bit, looking at the floor once again. 

“Alright, well,” He says, and I look up at him under my lashes. He walks up to me, and the smell of cool water cologne hits my nose. I breathe in deeply, loving smell. Oh yeah, I’m in love. He reaches out suddenly, extending his hand to me, “My name is Remi.” He says, and I stare at his hand. His fingers strong, perfect. 

I reach out with a nervous hand, and takes his. Remi’s hand envelopes mine, the ruff skin of a working man, bringing non pg thoughts into my head at once. Oh the things they could most likely do. 

“I”m Lexi, or 2B.” I said, shaking his hand lightly, and smiling. 

“Nice to met you Lexi or 2B” He said with a cocky grin, and lets go of my hand. His tall lean body, inched a bit closer, and my lips part, my feet moving me back a step on their own accord. 

Now next to the door jam, he folds his arms over his chest and leans a muscled bicep and shoulder on the white wood. One leg crosses the other, and he looks down at me. I look up and lick my bottom lip as he c***s an eyebrow, his smile even cockier then before. 

He blinks slowly, and then looks at me from under his thick lashes. “Guess I’ll catch you around.” He says, his voice husky and deep. 

My heart flips and then pounds at the walls of my chest before skipping two beats, then sputtering as it starts back up. 

“Ye-yeah.” I sputter before turning around, and heading back into my apartment, his soft laugh following me inside. 

I hear his door close, before I turn around and look back. I tilt my head to the side in wonder. Who was that man? And how did he manage to do that with just a few words and a smile? I close my door, and head back for my couch, my mind reeling at the thought of the boy next door. I drag my feet across the hardwood floor, and plop onto my white couch, my legs folding in front of me. I lean forward and grab the remote to my own flat screen, turning it on before tossing the remote aside and grabbing my ps3 controller, pushing in the small clear button in the middle, making the system beep. 

The systems musical jingle indicating that it was now on and loading up, reached my ears a bit to loudly. I reach over without looking, for the TV remote, my hand landing on a warm furry side. A hic-up of a meow sounded as I pull back my hand quickly, and look at the small tuxedo cat, playfully kicking at the remote.

“Hey.” I say grabbing the remote, and trying my best to avoid playful claws. “I need that.” I say, as Jinx swipes at the now moving target, nearly taking off my thumb. I stick my tongue out at him, as he watches the remote with a force like focus. I expected the remote to magically float out of my hand and toward the cat. I roll my eyes, and start to turn down the TV, as Jinx sits up and darts across my lap, scaring the beejesus out of me in the prossess. I toss the remote over to my black club chair, hoping he will follow. 

“Weirdo.” I say as I pick up my controller and sign into my account. 

Jinx jumps from the arm of the couch and lands in the chair in one graceful move. He kicks the remote out of the chair and onto the hardwood floor, hopping down to attack the beast. I shift my screen over to the game I already had in the system, and push the X button starting it up. I watch as Jinx flips onto his back with a loud thump, and toss the remote into the air. It comes down with a flourish, landing with a loud smack right next to him, and he jumps up, frightened by the sound and darts out toward the kitchen.

“Dumb cat.” I mutter, not forgetting that I practically did the same only twenty minutes ago.

The sound of Call Of Duty Ghost streams out of my TV, letting me know that it has finished loading up. I grab my mic off the coffee table and turn it on, placing it in my ear, the small beep greeting me as the name, MYUniCORnISGayTOO pops into the party on my screen.

“HEY SISTA!” Chimes in the voice of my favorite person in the world. My best friend. Tray.

“HEY BRAH!” I volley, putting on my best preppy accent. 

“I thought you where studying.” 

“Well I was, but I got a bit distracted..” I say, my voice a bit dreamy

“Giiirl! What happened? I know that voice, I know what it means.” I hear the sound of fabric catching on the mic, as if Tray where shifting in his seat, ready for me to tell the story. 

I laugh a bit and lower my left foot onto the floor. I push myself up off the couch and turn to walk around my coffee table, bending down to pick up my remote that Jinx had rudely left on the floor, and place it on the table. I straiten back up, and rake my hand thew my hair. “It’s nothing..mostly. Just some guy who moved in across the hall, he’s loud.” 

“Pfft,” Tray puffs me. “Nothing EVER distracts you when you’re on a study binge, so you’re not giving me the full detail sweet-cheeks.” 

I walk into the kitchen, nearly stepping on a cat on a mission to chase every dust particle in the apartment, and head to my fridge. “Nothing happened,” I say opening it up and grabbing a water bottle. I turn and close the door with the heel of my foot and walk back into my living room, untwisting the top off the bottle.

“Was he hot?” Tray asks, as I begin to take a sip of my water, and I choke at his question. I cover my mouth, trying to hold in the liquid, and sallow hard before coughing loudly. 

“Ah-ha!” Try’s trumpet voice comes thew. “Now we’re getting some where.”

I gasp for air, and pat my chest lightly. “That’s not the point,” I say my voice a bit rough from the near death experience

Tray laughs loudly. “No that’s exactly the point. You can’t hide this from me, I want details woman!”. 

I twist the cap back onto my bottle and sit it down on a coaster. I plop back onto my couch and pick up my controller, pressing the X button to start a multiplayer match. 

“For one, there isn’t any detail to be given,” I say as a few other people join the lobby. “And two, I don’t even know the guy. I barely said four words to the man.” Which wasn’t completely true, I probably said about twenty but, I mostly just stared. 

The round starts soon after the last two people join the party. The mic symbol popping up next to their names but quickly vanishing without a sound. I pick my class and wait for the count down for the game to begin. 

“I”m coming over tomorrow..” Tray says as I hit a button on my controller making my gun pop up and I drop my scope. I run towards the right, working my way around the map. Tray follows behind, we always play as a team.

“You can’t,” I sigh, as I kill a guy from the other team, I hear him curse and I shake my head. 

“Why, what are you up to tomorrow?” He asks as he swings to our left and guns down two more guys, earning a double kill. 

I continue to play, running around the outskirts of the map, as I begin to answer Tray. Jinx comes to sit in front of the TV, watching as the figures move and sweep over the screen. 

“I have to go to my step mom’s,” I say with a annoyed tone. Going over to ‘The Wicked Witch’s House’ As Tray would put it, always put a damper on my mood. I run up to a truck on my game, and slide to a stop, aiming my gun and looking around me. 

“Apparently my grandmother pissed her off somehow, and she needs me to come clean up the mess.” 

I spot a guy camping on the ground, and shoot him, earning a head shot. “F**k!” I hear the voice say, thew the kill mic, before I run into a building across the road on my screen. 

Jinx chooses that time to push himself up on his back legs and paw at the moving things on the ‘Magic Thingy’. 

“Damn, I would go with you but..” I hear Tray grunt as he goes to knife another player, not realizing they are on our team. “Oops, Sorry Techy,” He apologizes to the other player and swings back into our conversation. “But I honestly hate that b***h.” 

I hear the count down from a KEM Strike start to go, and I look around confused, missing who had it. “That our team or theirs?” I ask breaking from the topic for a second. 

“Ours, some guy name BloodHawk?” Tray responds. I make my player crouch as I wait out the strike in the building. “Guard Dog ready.” I hear the TV say, and I push down on the d-pad, and a dog a peers on my screen. 

“DOGGIE!” Tray says in a baby voice, his ADD kicking in at the sight of my guard dog on the game. 

I snort out a laugh as the strike ends, and I head out the back way from the building. 

Tray follows suit, and I hear a sniper blast. “Awe d****t.” Tray whines as he dies. 

I turn quickly, and aim at the guy who sniped Tray. I pull down my trigger button no sooner as another player knifes him from behind. 

The player stops, and looks at me, before passing. “Thanks BloodHawk. I say and head the way I was going when Tray died. 

We continue the game, Tray and I talking about random things, school, work and the like. We win by a landslide, BloodHawk becoming MVP with 20 kills and 1 death. 

“Damn that player is good!!” Tray comments before BloodHawk and a few other players back out. We back out of the lobby as well, and I let out a yawn. 

“I think I’m going to hit the hay.” I mumble as I run my hands thew my hair. 

“Alright, I’ll talk to you at some point tomorrow,” A loud yawn from the mic hits my ears. “If anything, I’ll take you shopping after the whole clean up thing, I’m sure you’ll need pampering.” He laughs a bit.

I join in his laughter, and shake my head. “Yeah most likely,” I press the middle button on the controller. “Night love. Sweet dreams.” I say as a black screen pops up on my TV and I scroll down to the words ‘Turn off system’. 

“You too girly.” He says and my mic goes quiet. 

I hit the X button, turning off the ps3, and reach up to take out my mic from my ear, pushing the small button on the side to power it off. 

I lay both objects on the coffee table, and slide off the couch. I step over Jinx, who was sleeping by my foot, and head for the bathroom. 

I flip the light switch and leave the door open, as I walk toward the shower. I reach in, turning on the water, and begin to slip out of my clothes. Steam rolls in a heavy cloud, as the water warms up. I open the glass shower door, and step inside. I allow the water to drench my back, before stepping under the spray, and tilt my head back, my face being assaulted by the droplets. I push my wet hair back, as I step back out, and begin to wash up.

I finish up, and turn off the water, before opening the shower door and reaching out for a towel. I sigh as I wrap the towel around me, before grabbing another for my thick brown hair. I really disliked knowing I had to go to Nora’s house. The thought alone stressed me out. For some unknown reason, my father married that witch when I was only eleven. She and I never really got along. She hated me, never really out right said it, but her actions, her tension and side ways glances told me enough. The fact she never even muttered the words ‘I love you’ also seemed to indicate that point. What really tipped me off on the non-love factor, was when she sent out hit men to kill me off, nearly succeeding in her attempt. I bend over and flip my hair and wrap the second towel around it, before flipping my head back and standing back up. I walk over to the sink and grab the small bottle of face moisturizer off the marble counter top.I squeeze a small droplet of the lotion onto my palm, and spread it around my hand, before leaning forward to look in the mirror. God my pores where huge. I crinkle my eyebrows together, and start to lather up my face, closing my eyes and sighing. I rinse my hands in the sink and wipe them on my towel before turning and heading out of my large bathroom, switching off the light as I went. The queen sized pillow of heaven summoned me with a sirens call, as a knock on my front door alerted me. I face in the general direction of my front door, and give the wall a death stare, hoping my x-ray vision would make the human who thought she or he where brave enough to disturb my nightly routine, spontaneously combust. I stood there, staring, for at least a minute, before smiling at myself thinking my superpower had done it’s job. Another knock sounds, as I begin to take a step toward my little slice of heaven. I mentally stomp my foot and drop my arms, making my shoulders shrug forward, before turning and heading out of my room. I walk slowly, hopefully annoying the person who has now begun to annoy me, toward my front door. I swing it open with a dramatic flare, hoping to show my annoyance, and my jaw drops to the floor. 

His blue eyes scan my attire, slowly raking up from my bare feet, to my long smooth tan legs, the edge of the towel that stopped just at my thigh, then to my hand that clutched the piece of fabric closed. A slow appreciative smile slides across his mouth, his perfect lips making my own mouth water. The butterflies take flight in the walls of my stomach, fast enough that I was afraid I may even take off. My heart slammed up into my throat, then slid back into its place as his eyes locked onto mine. I tried to swallow a gulp of air, and speak like a normal human, but sadly all that came out was..

“Hi.” The sound airy. God I just went fan girl on the poor man. 

The corner of his mouth twitched, before he leaned against my door frame and his eyes fell to my lips. “Hi,” His voice deep, velvety. Like a warm red velvet cake, the cream cheese icing melting just so. 

I shudder and my stomach growls at the thought of cake. I snap out of my thoughts and shake my head to wake myself. I brace arm on the door, and push it forward slightly, not shutting him completely out, but hiding most of my towel clad body from his view. 

“What’s up?” I asked, trying to make my voice sound neighborly, but not overly interested. No need to toss out signals that I wasn’t sure I would want. I don’t think he can handle me. Yea, right..

He cocked an eyebrow, and pushes off the wall, one muscled forearm braced sideways and above his head as he looked down at me. 

“I locked myself out it seems,” He says, hitching his thumb behind him at his front door. I look behind him, and see one of his guitars leaning against the wall in the hallway. A black book bag next to it on the floor. My eyes shift back to his, and a smirk plays at his lips. “Mind if I use your phone?” 

I stand there, staring at him, before I realize what he had asked. “Oh!” I say opening the door a bit, and allowing him to step over the thresh hold. “Yeah, just one second.” I say turning around and half jogging half hopping back into my bedroom and closing the door. 

I quickly change into a black hoodie proclaiming that I was nerdy and knew it, and a pair of red plaid shorts. I toss the towels into the bathroom floor on my way out of the bedroom, and step into the living room. I watch him as he looks around the apartment and then slowly turns back to me, his hands in his pullover hoodie pocket. 

I head to the coffee table and snatch my cell phone off the white top. I turn back to him, pushing the wild strands of hair out of my face and holding the phone out to him. 

“Here you go.” I say looking at the device in my hand as I wait for him to take it from me. 

His strong fingers brush against my own and my stomach flops in response. 

“Thanks, this shouldn’t take long.” The smile in his voice clear, and I look up at him. 

I brush off his statement with a wave of my hand, “Take your time, I know how it feels to be locked out.” I giggle a bit as he unlocks the smart phone, his thumb sliding across the screen. He quickly dials the number he is intending to call, and places the phone to his ear with a smile. His right hand goes back into his pocket and he puts all his weight on one leg. I turn around, and walk to my couch. I sit down gracefully, pulling my knees up to my chest. 

I pick absentmindedly at a string on my hoodie as I wait for him to finish his call, trying not to eavesdrop to much. Not really. 

He is quite for a moment before a muffled hello reaches my ears from the overly loud cell phone. My eye’s shift up, and I watch Remi from under my lashes. I see his thumb move from the side of my phone and I look down, knowing he turned down the volume. 

“Hey man, I locked myself out of my apartment, mind swinging by to bring my spare keys?” He asks into the receiver and he smiles at me a bit as the person on the other end most likely started to answer. 

Jinx chose that time to come from whatever hiding spot he had thought was appropriate at the time, and hopped onto the couch next to me. His tiny paw touching my arm. He slowly starts to climb onto my chest, regardless of my knees. I drop my legs and allow him to climb up, and I pet him softly as I hear Remi chime back in. 

“Yeah man, sorry,” I hear him laugh lightly, as he starts to turn his back to me a bit, the toe of his boot idly poking at the pale hard wood floors. “Yeah, we’ll talk about that when you get here, I’m over at a neighbors using their phone, I don’t want to use up her minutes..” 

He nods at something the other person says and laughs a bit, then says his goodbyes. 

“Thanks Lex.” He says stepping forward and extending a hand out, the cell in his palm. I pick up Jinx, and stand up, the cat apparently none to happy about the move, and jumps out of my arm and onto the couch, leaving behind a hoodie full of hair. I try dusting off the hair, giving up quickly, knowing it was an endeavor that only my washing machine could conquer , before taking the phone from him and smiling. 

“No problem.” 

He turns to head out of my apartment and stops just at the door frame. “See ya around.” He says with that cocky smile that melts my insides every time. I hear him laugh as he shuts the door and disappears behind it. 

I shook my head in awe, my body’s response to his smile almost flooring me. I didn’t know this man, who he was, where he’d came from. I walk up to the front door, and turn the shinny lock on the handle, before sending the deadbolt lock home with a muffled slam. I began to turn around, and stopped short. Wondering if Remi had actually locked himself out of his apartment or not. I pushed up on my toes for the second time that day, and pressed my cheek onto the door. The cold metal bit at my skin, as I looked out of the peep hole and into the hallway. I spot him, leaning against the wall, one foot propped up behind him, the soul of his black boot pushing on the wall. His head was bowed, the hood of his pull over draped over it, and I couldn’t make out his expression. His left hand was pushed into his front jeans pocket, while the other vanished under the hood. I watched him, tried to imagine what he was thinking. 

Suddenly, his head shoots up, and he looks dead at me, as if he knew I was watching him. I pull my head quickly away from the door, then sigh at myself for being so silly. He can’t see me, he doesn’t know I’m watching him..

As the words formed in my head, a slow smile creeps across his lips, the only thing I can make out under the shadow of his hood. A chill runs down my spine, and the small hairs on my arms and the back of my neck stand up on end. 

No way! How in the hell?

Remi then pushes off the wall, slowly bends to pick up his guitar and bag, swinging them over a shoulder, and descends the steps. Vanishing from my view. I back away from the door, my heart pounding hard, as I push my hair back in astonishment. That had to just be a good guess right? Maybe I made to much noise? 

I turned and walked into my room, and sat on the edge of the soft mattress. I barked out an uneasy laugh before leaning down and grabbing my cell charger. I fight the small cord, and after about a full minute, manage to get the thing plugged into my phone. I lean back on my bed, my head landing on my pillow as I bite my bottom lip in thought. 

So this mysterious man, who no doubtedly was molded in the pool of the Seven Deadlies, was now my neighbor. Either I was the luckiest girl in the world, or I was about to die a tortuous death. I let a heavy sigh escape my lips, and I roll over to my right side, bringing my knees up to my chest. I close my eyes, my mind still wandering, but decide that battle should be left for another day, and drift into a soft, dreamless sleep.



© 2015 Riley Papale


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Loved every second that i spent reading this. I've skimmed it before but never had a chance to actually read it how i wanted to. Its an amazing story so far and I would love to read what happens next.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Riley Papale

8 Years Ago

Thanks Sparky XD

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 29, 2015
Last Updated on December 12, 2015


Author

Riley Papale
Riley Papale

TX



About
I'm just someone who loves to be creative, and hopes that others would enjoy my creativeness and worlds that I love to put on paper. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Riley Papale


Secrets Secrets

A Book by Riley Papale