Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Riley Papale

    2.

I nearly fall off my bed, taking my bedside table lamp with me in the possess, when a soft cold furry substance smacks me across the nose. I yell as pain in the back of my hand hits my nervous system, and I shake it trying to re-leave the pain from smacking the hard wooden table. 

“Jesus!” I say loudly, and I open my eyes to narrow them at the black and white cat laying flat on my chest. His soft meow, followed by a deep rumble in his chest, was all the apology I was apparently getting at this moment. 

“I’m up you evil feline.” I say pushing back my covers, and beginning to roll out of my warm bed. Jinx hops off my chest to clear the way, and rolls around on my comforter. I roll my eyes at his cute behavior, not being fooled. I know he’s planning to take over the world. Starting with me. 

I blow my bangs out of my eyes, and head for the bathroom, squinting at the morning light that floods in threw my curtain covered windows. 

I hear the light thump behind me, knowing Jinx is getting ready to follow me into the other room. I stop, look over my shoulder, and glare at him. 

We have this small war in the mornings, him waking me up in some ridiculous fashion or another. Me rolling out of bed, and heading towards the bathroom, and trying to beat him there before he manages to catch up to follow me inside. 

He looks up at me, his innocent eyes pulling at the strings of my heart before I mentally block him out.

“I know you’re up to something...” I say to him, and I take another step towards the bathroom. 

Jinx follows suit, and stops when I do, still looking up at me. He lets out a small ruff meow, and I fold my arms over my chest. 

I lift my right foot, watching the cat behind me on the floor as he picks up a front paw, and leaves it extended in the air, just like I had with my foot. I change my mind, and sit my foot back down, not moving from my spot. He does the same. 

Evil little genius! 

I sigh heavily and drop my arms, seeming to have given up and watch him out of the corner of my eye. He turns his head slightly to the left, something in the air catching his attention, and I dart towards the bathroom, running full force. 

Jinx’s head swiftly turns to follow me, and he takes off, passing me and running into the bathroom, then hopping onto the counter. 

“D****t!” I say, a bit out of breath. I need to exercise more.

I stop running and sulk as I walk over to the toilet and take a seat, my morning routine started. 

Jinx watches me, almost as if hes taking mental notes on what the human slaves will need in order to survive, and I narrow my eyes at him once more. 

“I’ll beat you one day.” I say, knowing that the attempt will never amount to anything. The tip of his tail flicks in response, almost as if he was thinking. ‘You can try.’

I finish using the bathroom, and walk over to the sink, turning on the water and scrubbing my hands clean. I pick up my toothbrush out of the small holder, and start squeezing out a dab of toothpaste onto the bristles. I run the cool water over the brush and pop it into my mouth, as Jinx slowly starts to creep to the faucet. I watch my refection in the mirror, my brown hair mussed and sticking out like I had stuck a fork in a light socket, my hoodie that I fell asleep in, slightly twisted and rumpled. The words disorienting from the folds. My eyes a bit red from just waking up, making the blues look a bit green. I open my mouth to flop the toothbrush over to the other side as Jinx places his paw under the stream of water, and flicks it forward. I bite down on the brush, and drop my hand, after I jump at the sudden cool droplets landing on my face and neck. I look down at Jinx my eyes forming small slits, and slam down the handle on the sink, turning it off. He looks at me, then brings up his paw in satisfaction, to lick off the remains of the water. I shoo him off the counter, and out of the bathroom to finish my routine in peace. 

Once I finish, I walk out of the bathroom, teeth and hair brushed, and head toward my kitchen. Jinx weaves in and out between my feet, meowing loudly, our war put aside for now. I head for the cabinet that stat nestled between my fridge and stainless steel stove, that I rarely used, due to my lack of ability to cook, and grab a can of Fancy Feast tuna flavored cat food. Jinx meets me on the counter as I dump his food into his food bowl and he had become occupied for the moment. I walk back into my bedroom and head for my closet and throw on a black Nirvana band tee, and a pair of jean shorts. I turn to my dresser, grab a pair of socks, and the set of military dog tags off the top. Swinging them over my head and into my shirt. I grip them tightly over the fabric before sitting down on the edge of my bed and slipping on my socks, followed by my black short combat boots. 

I grab my cell of the charger and head out of the room. I say a quick goodbye to Jinx who was still on the counter lapping away at his food, and snatch my keys off the wall and open the front door then step out into the hallway. 

I hit something. Hard. 

I throw out my hands, and grab a hold of fabric, but still manage to slip and my back hits my closed door hard enough to rattle the walls. 

“Ow..” My voice comes out in a dull whisper. 

“Ch’yea..” Says a male voice, and my head snaps up, and I pray to God that I hadn’t just run into the Beautiful Creature across the hall from me. 

I take in the man in front of me, he’s about an inch taller then my five feet six inches, rubbing his sides, where I had apparently grabbed to stop myself from falling. His sandy blonde hair was cut short, and spiked a bit in the front. His glasses slid down his nose a bit, and he pushed them up with an index finger. He finally looks my way and his eyes widen. Do I look that bad?

He straightens his shirt, and the words catch my eye. “Keep Calm and Save Hyrule” I smile a bit. I like this man already. 

“Sorry about that,” I say as I push off the door and stand up straight. He blushes a bit and slides a hand across his weeks worth of blonde stubble. 

 “It’s fine, I shouldn’t have been standing in the middle of the hall like that.” 

I look around the hall, curious as to why he was standing there, he must have noticed and hitches his thumb behind him. 

 “I’m waiting on a friend of mine, Remi? Maybe you two have met?” 

I look down at my boots and smile a bit to myself, the image of Remi popping into my head. 

The man laughs lightly and shifts his weight to one foot, his arms crossing over his chest. “You have.” He says, a bit of a playful resentment in his tone. 

I look up and see the smile playing at his lips. He extends his hand and introduces himself. “I’m Mitch, Rem’s weird nerdy friend.” He states with a twinkle in his light green eyes. 

I take his hand and shake it lightly, “Lexi, Remi’s clumsy neighbor from 2B.” I say with a gesture to my door behind me. He drops my hand and nods, a smile still playing on his lips. He watches me for a minute, and the air around us becomes awkward. 

I play with my keys in my hands, and head toward the steps, not wanting to seem rude but sadly the step monster awaited my arrival. 

 “Well,” I said, as I smile at him a bit, and rake my hair back with my hand. “It was nice to meet you. Um sorry about that.” I say pointing in the general area of where we collided with a finger. I start to head down the steps and stop to turn and face Mitch.

 “Oh. Nice shirt by the way.” I say smiling brightly, and then jog down the steps and out the front door of the apartment building. 

I squint against the bright sun, my hand flying up to cover my eyes and I make a left heading toward the apartment parking lot. I find my shinny black Honda Civic sitting between a silver eclipse and a red Dodge Ford pickup. 

I unlock my door, and slip into the warm car. 

I push up on the floor board, lifting my butt off the leather seat, fishing out my cell from the back pocket of my shorts. I shuffle thew my contacts, finding Nora’s number. 

I push the small call button, and pull out of the parking lot, turning left and head towards the home I grew up in. 

After the third ring, a small voice picks up.

 “Holland residence.”

 “Hey Gabby, it’s Lexi,” I say to the housekeeper. For some reason the poor woman has been working for my step mom for the last twenty or so years, I can’t imagine the pay would be that great..”Can I speak to Gram?” 

 “Right away Miss.” She was so sweet.

I come to a slow stop at a stoplight on Main Street as I’m put on hold, any home that puts you on hold as you wait for whoever it is you’re calling, hang up then and there. Obliviously they are trouble.

 

  I chew on the corner of my lip as I wait for the light to turn, and let out a sigh. I drum my thumb on the steering wheel as a loud muscle car pulls up next to me. 

I look out of the passenger window, and spot a young dark haired man moving to the bass of whatever song he is listening to. He turns slightly toward me, and I nearly drop my cell into the floorboard.

  “James....?” I whisper, as the light turns green. The red Camaro’s tires squeal against the black pavement, as the driver punches the gas. I narrow my eyes, and stare at the car long enough to annoy the diver behind me. The honking of their horn pulling me out of my daze and I shift into first and pull away from the once again turning light. 

 “Hello? .. Miss Holland, are you there? Hello..”

I push the cell phone back to my ear and shake my head lightly. “Yeah, sorry I’m here.”

 “Your grandmother isn’t here Miss, may I leave a message for her?”

 “Not there?” I slowly turn onto the highway ramp and continue to head to the ‘Haunted Castle’ and let out a small sigh. “Did she say where she was going?” 

A small spike of static hits my ear thew the receiver and I wince. “No Mam, I’m sorry.”

I shake my head, as if she could see my response and I smile lightly. That woman was always so very sweet, but she seemed so nervous, which I couldn’t blame her.. Look at her boss.

 “Gabby it’s okay, I’ll just come buy later. Can you please have her call me when she returns?”

I hear a small sigh of relief come from the other line and I frown. Poor woman.

 “Yes Miss, I can be sure to do that for you.”

 “Thanks Gabby. Later!” I say and listen to her wish me a nice day before hanging up and dialing Tray’s number. I swerve into the left lane, as I wait for Tray to pick up his phone. 

  After a few minutes his voice mail picks up. “Study shows that people that leave messages are usually intelligent, outgoing,  friendly, and motivated. People that hang up are usually dark, depressed, cynical and sometimes psychotic. Please categorize yourself at the tone.” A loud beep comes from the phone and I lower it and hang up. 

 “Now what?” I ask myself as my phone begins to blare out Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones. I slide my thumb across the green button and put the cell to my ear. 

 “Status Report!” I answer in my best Sargent like voice

 “Sir, the anti-matter containment field is failing,” Comes Tray’s voice from the other side in a Scottish accent 

 “Ye canne change the laws of physics Captain!” He yells into the phone, and I laugh loudly. 

 “D****t Scotty! I need more time!!” I volley and Tray snorts out a laugh.

 “What’s up chica? Already see the Monster?” He asks once we both sober up our laughter. I switch lanes and take the next exit heading back into town. 

 “Well no, my grandma wasn’t there, so I think it’s best for me to wait until she returns. I really don’t feel like getting into a huge argument with Nora today. Are you busy at all? Hang on have to switch gears.” I say as I drop the phone in my lap and downshift as I began to slow down in the line of traffic. LA was always busy, no matter what time of day or night, the streets where always packed full of cars. I pick up my phone once I come to a stop and place it back against my ear. I hear Tray humming a song and I interrupt his off tune play time.

 “I have returned.” 

 “Oh hi, um I am not busy at the moment, I am off work today actually.” He replies to my earlier question. “Why what’s up?” 

 “Well,” I say “I was thinking we could do that shopping thing you wanted to do last night. Plus, I think I seen James today.” I trail off, thinking back at the man driving the Camaro. 

 “Wait! Where?!” He says drawing in on the James topic.

 “A few minutes ago, I stopped at a light near the apartment and I could’ve swore he was driving a red Camaro. Either that or he has a twin I never knew about.” I say narrowing my eyes. 

I hear the sound of rustling fabric, followed by a sigh. “Well Kitten, he did lie to you about having a kid, why not a twin too?

I gasp lightly, completely taken by surprise at what Tray had said. “Not fair! You know he didn’t know about Mia, it’s not like he chose to not tell me..” I say coming to James’ defense. “That’s not even cool man.” 

I hear a light sigh and a mumbled ‘sorry’ from Tray. “Wanna run that by me again man?” I ask my voice still kind of stern. 

 “I’m sorry.” 

I smile a bit and nod. “You aught to be. So shopping or not?” I ask letting go of what Tray had said. He may be an a*s sometimes, but the boy was still my best friend. 

Tray’s tone perks up, “Ay Miami, I could use some new stilettos” 

 

 



© 2015 Riley Papale


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Love how this chapter turned out as well as how Lexi's story is playing out so far. I can't wait to read the next chapter. ^[.]^


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Riley Papale

8 Years Ago

thank you n.n

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
1 Review
Added on December 12, 2015
Last Updated on December 12, 2015


Author

Riley Papale
Riley Papale

TX



About
I'm just someone who loves to be creative, and hopes that others would enjoy my creativeness and worlds that I love to put on paper. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Riley Papale


Secrets Secrets

A Book by Riley Papale