Tree of Life ~ Arbour Vitalis

Tree of Life ~ Arbour Vitalis

A Chapter by Nicky Sarti
"

Part two. Newly Added, Dec 2015.

"

Chapter Two:-


She ran as fast as she could, her sons’ silent breathing the only thing she was really focusing upon. As she ran, her mind was racing too. Where was she going to go, how on earth could she keep her beautiful baby safe now… Before she knew it, she had reached the outskirts of town and the nearby forest. Being a fairly religious woman, she remembered the story of Moses and Herod from the Sunday sermon. Rushing into the forest, she placed her baby underneath a well-hidden bushel. Laying him down gentle, she hushed her boy and covered him up well.

 

 

“Oh my beautiful child, I am so very sorry to leave you like this…” She began, pausing to makes sure he was concealed. “This is the only way I can assure your safety...” In the distance she could hear the King’s Men, taking the pendant given to her by her sons father and placing it around her sons neck, she continues her soft soothing words. “I shall be back for you as soon as I am able my dear child, I promise.” With one final kiss goodbye, she checks around and leaves her son. Quickly hurrying back into town, hoping to catch her neighbour and explain her predicament.

 

 

Meanwhile, the young boy silently stared into the abyss that is the big wide world. The child was only months old, yet he took in all his surroundings just as though he was trying to memorise these moments. And maybe he would remember them, but for now he was gurgling away happily with not a single care in the world.

 

 

Back in the village the child’s  Mother had managed to make it to her neighbour’s home without being seen, now it was just a matter of timing, how to get inside without the King’s men catching her. This would not be an easy task, it was well know that her neighbour was hard of hearing, often having to be called several times rather loudly before stirring. But she had little choice, simply put she must succeed.

 

 

Back under the bushels, the child; now hungry, could not understand where his Mother was or why he was starting to feel a certain chill in the air. As most young babies do when they want something, he began to cry out; asking in his own way for his Mother. And because he was just a small baby, he never saw the danger ahead. How could he ever have known that his tears would bring the creature forward.

 

She watched carefully as the men sent for her left the last home and turned the corner, quickly she rushed to her neighbour’s door, knocking as loud as she dare… After a few moments she realised there was no answer, it may be a risk but she had little choice but to knock again; louder this time… Inside, her stomach was tied in knots. Fear and panic gripped her, her mind running wild with worrying thoughts. Inside she could hear the neighbour stir, sighing deeply she allowed herself a small moment of relief. As she felt the heavy hand upon her shoulder, she quickly realised that her luck had indeed run out.

 

 

Back underneath the bushel, the young boy was still crying for his Mother. Slowly the creature crept closer, stalking the small child as if it was pray. As his cries continued, into view came the lone grey female wolf. Silently she softly paced forward, not making a sound, making sure she would not disturb whatever was crying out.    

 

 

 

She felt the heavy hand firmly upon her shoulder, within that moment she knew her time had just ran out. She could try and run, but she was too close to her captor for that to work. She could try and talk her way out of the inevitable, but she knew her plea would fall on deaf ears.
“Don’t make a scene Miss… You need to come with us.” His voice commanded, as she thought of fighting her way free.But this too, she realised would be a waste of her final few moments on earth.

 

 

Slowly, silently the creature moves closer towards the small bundle of noise. It's nose in the air, seeking the answers to its unasked questions. Friend or foe, prey or predator? No sudden movements or this bounty may end up being lost, so stealth is the key here. No rushed movements, just careful and well placed intentions. As if the child knew what was coming, he stopped his tearful cries and managed to turn his prone young frame towards the creature. The shawl surrounding his concealed body flopped helplessly to the ground, revealing himself to the now stationary female grey wolf that until seconds ago was getting ready to pounce.   

 


“Do I really?” With all her might, she uttered those final words. Turning, her hand clenched in a tight ball, the silver slither of something clasped within giving her pursuer little doubt she had intent on her mind. Before she could strike, the young Lord had struck her with his dagger. One single blow was all it took, deeply thrust upwards through the chest. The trainee Knight had killed her stone dead, not taking the chance she would get the chance to fight back.

 

 

For a moment there was nothing but silence in the air, the boy just stared in the direction of the animal while the wolf stared right back. Slowly the wolf made a few tentative steps forward, her legendary sense of smell asking questions of the air and bundled form. Closer she stalked, gaining precious ground between the pair. By now the pair were within touching distance, each trying to suss the other one out. With her hackles raised, the wolf licked its lips only moments away from its prized bounty. But then, as the baby boy innocently reached out to grasp whatever this thing was, the wolf did something out of character... 

 

 

He had carried out his duties well, until he saw the shiny object in her hands was little more than a fist full of silver coins… His young heart sank as he realised he had become the puppet he feared when he first accepted the post of trainee Knight to the King of France, he had killed a young woman who was about to plead for her life with all the money she had left. While his master was taking control of the now-lifeless body, all the young man could do was feel the guilt washing over him. What on earth had he done, who had he just become?


© 2015 Nicky Sarti


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on December 31, 2015
Last Updated on December 31, 2015


Author

Nicky Sarti
Nicky Sarti

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom



About
ZOMGosh... How long has it been since I posted on here?!? What am I like? I am so sorry guys! So... I am still here (just about) I am still trying to keep my hand in when it comes to writing etc. .. more..

Writing