The Horror Within

The Horror Within

A Story by Nightingale Silva
"

A short horror story I wrote

"

Laying there, I felt the chills run throughout my body. I lay still, knowing to look up would be a horrible idea. I blinked a few times, feeling the tears seep from my eyes. I knew I wasn't alone. My body began to shudder, as I thought of what was there. Was it there to torment me again? For it's sick amusement? My body began to shake more.

 I peeked from beneath the comforts of my covers at the wall next to me. My room was dimmly lit, for I left the light on low before I gave into my slumber's whisper. I stared at the wall for what seemed like an eternity, trying to gather the courage to see what it was that plagued me night after night.  

 Up until tonight, I had always woken up too late. I was always already in it's grasp. My body frozen, unable to move, lucky if I could breathe. But tonight, I wanted me awake when it struck.  My breathing became heavy. I tried to breathe softly, but couldn't help it. My heart, pounding...feeling as if it were to burst within my chest at any moment. I had to face it...had to see what came to torment me all the nights before.

 I held my breath, and in one swift motion, I sat up, facing the end of my bed. Sitting up so quickly, mt eyes had to adjust some to the contrast of light on that end of the room. Once my eyes adjusted, I could see SOMETHING sitting on the edge of the bed near my feet. It was tall, and smokey. The pitchest of blacks I had ever witness in my life...it looked like a wraith. But was this real? Was I imagining this??? Maybe this had all been one big nightmare...maybe... I sat there, my chest heaving from my heavy, labored breathing. I was terrified. And it...just sat there. I couldn't tell if it was staring at me...hell, I could hardly tell if it owned a pair of eyes. I could see nothing for that dark, black hood.

 But regardless, I felt some sort of 'stare' peering into me...at that moment, I heard it take a deep breath And in a low, gutteral voice, it spoke:

 "Yes?" it said in an angry tone, as if I were questioning it with my stare. In an instant, I was pushed back with great force. The back of my head slammed against the headboard. My head throbbed with ungodly pain. I felt a pressure around my neck, and before I knew it, my body slowly grew numb. And then I was frozen, I couldn't move. I was still conscious, though my vision was fairing poorly. Everything was blurry, and the entirety of the room was shaking. All I saw in front of me was a dark, smokey blur. The pressure...on my neck...my head...throbbing...My vision...blurry...and...and...

 

 

 And I awoke, suddenly, darting up to a sitting position in my bed. My head was throbbing. Probably a headache from not sleeping well, due to that goddamned nightmare. I cracked my neck a few times, to get rid of the crick I got from sleeping wrong. I swung my feet outta the bed, onto the floor. It was good to be awake, the nightmare was over. I up, and made my way to the bathroom. 

 I turned on the sink, and leaned over it to splash my face a few times with the cool water. I stood up straight once again, wiping the water from my eyes, and glancing into the mirror. Then I saw it...something on my neck...

 With the water impairing my vision some, I grabbed for a towel to dry them completely. I dried them, and peered into the mirror. There, upon my neck, were dark bruises and some scratches...last night was no nightmare...it was real... "It" really did exist...And I knew it wasn't through with me...It'd be back...again, to claim what it didn't finish...

© 2013 Nightingale Silva


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on September 14, 2013
Last Updated on September 14, 2013
Tags: Scary, demon, horror, monster, evil, pain, hurt

Author

Nightingale Silva
Nightingale Silva

Corpus Christi, TX



About
I am a poet, creative writer, and freelance journalist. I have been writing since I can remember. I work for several websites, doing gaming journalism for GamingPrecision and UnboundGamer. Also write .. more..

Writing