DA 1. The Last Client

DA 1. The Last Client

A Chapter by Effervescent Dreams
"

At the end of a hard day, kind hearted Dr Terence is confronted by a frail old patient, who he takes home. What follows is anybody's guess..........

"

 

1.      The last client

 

“NEXT!” He called out rubbing his nape as he stretched out in his chair ……

 

It had been a tiring day, what with a heavy clientele and his partner Dr Ashok on leave for the day.  Now at past 9.30 pm, even the coolness of the AC failed to disarm the stifling sultriness of the evening. Thank God, this was the last of them…

 

None came.  He turned the registration slip in his hands…..

 

 No.   47                                                                                                    Name :  Omeeshella  

 Age : ................ 

 Gender :.................  

 

What a careless way of filling up a form! Shiela, his receptionist had left early as her son was ill. A very dependable worker otherwise…. but, this was unpardonable, and he would let her know it hrmphh...!

 

“Mr Omeeshella.......!!”, he shouted out much in contrast to his normal tone.

 

It certainly ought to be a male at this late time of the day……no, ….night actually.  Some clients could be so trying...! Oh how he yearned to rush home to Sandra, his lovely wife, for that special candle-light dinner she’d planned for him......... on his birthday!  Since he was alone at the clinic, he couldn’t even take a break.  But that was no matter for worry, for Sandra understood……

 

He couldn't believe it was just eight months since they were married… for it seemed like they’d known each other since ages…. It was an arranged marriage and they had got to get to know each other better in the six months subsequent to the engagement, after which they were married.  Though a busy Advocate, Sandra managed to work out a special event for the two of them at least once a month…. And the two got along like a house on fire….

 

Wearily, he leaned back in his chair, and smiled… God had been too kind to them…..their cup of joy was brimming, and he in turn took pleasure to be extra kind toward his patients, which often told on his pockets.  But neither he nor Sandra really worried about it.  They were celebrating life together…..

 

Now, where was Mr Omeeshella?  … Strange name though… He dismissed the thought.  Perhaps he’d left after the long wait. 

 

Winding up for the day, he picked up his briefcase, shut his clinic and hastily stepped into the corridor......now for the much awaited dinner... yahoo!.. He grinned from ear to ear, forgetting all the fatigue of the day ….   Most of the stores along the corridor had shut down.

 

“Hi doc, you are late today”, Mahesh called out as he switched of the lights of his Book Store and reached for the shutter keys.

 

“Ah umm”, smiled Terence as he walked past, “G’Night Mahesh, and have a nice weekend” .....

 

Good night to you too doc”.  The phone rang and Mahesh leapt for it.

 

The lonely yellow bulb dangling overhead barely managed to dispel the dark shadows in the musty corridor......  He and Dr Ashok had made up their mind to find a suave place for their clinic, at the earliest.  Of course, that called for more funds… and boy, he and Ashok were working hard to make their dream come true….!

 

Suddenly he jumped... his heart skipping a beat.  A shadow in the far corner had moved ever so gently..... no, it seemed to undulate in the deathly pale light.  Mustering all his courage, he stammered out, “Who,... who is this?”…. as he hastily moved towards the figure.  

 

Long gnarled trembling fingers reached out and clutched him by the wrist. He struggled futilely to wriggle out of the grip…… and his resistance weakened as a strange feeling of peace and warmth enveloped him.  He took in the fragile frame of the old man huddled on the wooden bench.

 

“I guess I’m your last client”… The old man almost rasped out, his speech interspersed with wheezes.  The speech was perfect.  He looked into the doctor’s face…... the blue eyes shone with an ethereal glow and brimming with kindness, yet with some kind of despair surging in its depths.........which he failed to fathom.  Attired in a clean pair of white pants and shirt, though a bit crumpled, he appeared neglected.

 

Regaining his composure, he forced a smile and soon managed to salvage his professional image. “Hello Sir, I’m Dr Roberts...... Terence Roberts and yes, you happen to be my last client for today.  I did call out to you a couple of times, and then presumed that you had left.” 

 

“You must forgive me son, I think I snoozed off while I waited.  Now I guess it’s time for you to retire for the day.”  The old man suddenly appeared to slump in the shadows.

 

Terence was in a tearing hurry.  “Mr Omeeshella,. He flashed his friendly smile, "........I guess that’s your name, it’s rather too late now. So how about… you come over to my clinic tomorrow and I’ll see you immediately.  Now, if you wish, I could drop you home…… as you see, it’s too late for you, even to find a public transport”.

 

The old man’s face fell, but he smiled wanly up to the doctor, “That’s so kind of you son, but it’s okay, I’ll wait for you right here”, and he let go off his wrist…..the heavenly feeling persisted. 

 

Such diction and such refined manners…. and at this age!  This man ought to have lived a high profile life in his heydays......till of course some tragedy struck….. a story of ‘riches to rags?’…….hmm.  Impressive indeed!.  Then, interspersed with several impatient calls from Sandra, he managed to gather that Mr Omeeshella was homeless, with no next of kin to even spend the night with.  Now, it appeared extremely rude and callous on his part to leave the dignified old man to spend the night in the stuffy corridor.  With a bit of persuasion the old man relented to go home with Terence.

 

*******

 

Sandra rushed to the door, as the car drove in through the gates.  Her eyes twinkled and her heart beat fast with ecstasy…. just as it had done when she’d first met her dear Terry.  Life had been a symphony of sorts after they tied the knot and their love grew manifold with each rising sun…. she and Terry had resolved to work hard to make their dream castle.  But their weekends would be spent ‘far from the madding crowd’… just the two of them… unless an emergency arose to break their schedule.  She had just one prayer…. that God keep them together in happiness for a long long time, so they could spread it around ……aaah… if this was cloud nine,… then she had taken a giant leap!!  

 

Hey… who was this with Terry?  Aww, not on this day!..... this was their special day.  She frowned hard, at the unwelcome sight of the old man, ..... and though she knew that she was being rude, she found it hard to hide her feelings.... 

 

Ignoring her silent protests, Terry ushered in Mr Omeeshella.

 

He hurriedly gave her a hug and a kiss and whispered into her ear, “Sandy, please please be good with this poor old man”. 

 

“Darling, we’ve a special guest tonight.  Meet Mr Omeeshella”.  He beamed, still holding her close. “… he’s one of my patients, I couldn’t leave behind at the clinic, at this late hour”….

 

“Mr Omeeshella, this is Sandra, my wife, and she’s a practicing lawyer”. 

 

“Hello Mr Omeshella.  Welcome to our home”.

 

“Bless you child”… The old man gave her a disarming smile, as the two shook hands…

 

“Sandra has planned a special dinner today, for my birthday.  Won’t you join us?” 

 

The old man was only too happy to oblige. 

 

Terry led him to the washroom and came back to give her a hurried account of the old man and how he’d been compelled to bring the poor thing home, rather than leave him there to be tortured in the cold night and perhaps to even die.  Sandra was quick to see the gravity of the situation and nodded assent.

 

They came to the dining room.  The birthday cake looked pretty with candles waiting to be lit….

 

“Oh that’s a wonderful cake!”.... Mr Omeeshella gushed… “Let me read what’s written on it…hmmm…. Happy Birthday Dear Terry.”  He beamed at Terry. 

 

Sandra lit the 26 figure candles and Terry blew them out.  Mr Omeeshella happily joined in to sing the Happy Birthday song along with Sandra, while Terry cut the cake.  She wished him Happy Birthday. 

 

“Many happy returns of the wonderful day… and bless you my son”….Mr Omeeshella wheezed.

 

At the table, the three made small conversation.  Some more introduction followed and Sandra gradually came to develop some fondness for the old man.  Though of course, she’d have certainly loved to enjoy the night with just the two of them together……..  

 

The candle light dinner took on an ethereal hue.  

 

Mr Omeeshella appreciated the pleasing aroma of the twinkling candles.  He admired Sandra for the mouth watering dishes and the wonderful cake, which she had baked.  He ate gracefully and with practiced ease, astounding the duo.  He profusely thanked the young couple for the magnificent dinner and blessed them.  He was then led to the spare bedroom, where Terry and Sandra made him comfortable with extra blankets, for it was indeed a cold night.  They did not forget to leave the night lamp on and a flask of warm water just in case….  Terry made a preliminary physical assessment of the patient before bidding him goodnight.

 

Back in their bedroom, Sandra fretted and fumed at Terry for spoiling such a nicely and painstakingly planned dinner while he tried his best to pacify her.  He knew that she was kind at heart and would calm down soon.  

 

But Sandra had genuine concerns.  An advocate by profession, she voiced her one outstanding fear, “Terry, he looks so weak and fragile.  You haven’t examined him in detail.  God knows what his problem is.  What if the old man dies in sleep?  Who will take responsibility for him? What answer will you give the public?... gosh, your career has just begun!” 

 

“Well, on the face of it, he seems to be out of immediate danger, though at times he looks too ill.” Terry said to himself.

 

They were almost like novices to their profession, he preparing to write for his PG entrance examination after two years of practice, and her, working under a lawyer after finishing her Bachelors in Law.  They had woven a dream together and had just set about working to make it develop. Finances were low, but that wasn't a dampener at all. 

 

All he could add was, “I helped him in good faith.  Let’s now leave the rest to the good Lord.”

 

It was well past midnight.  Yet, there was works unfinished…. Yes, the ‘minutes of the day’, as they called it.  It was something the two of them enjoyed doing… sharing the events at their respective places of work…. And how they loved doing it, with Terry advising her on how she could handle a criminal case and Sandra advising him on his patients.  It was a laugh, but they found solace in each other as they went about it and then they would settle for the night. 

 

But since it was too late, they decided to ‘call it a day, literally, as the clock struck 2, and they switched off the lights…..

 

Terry was confident that the old man would pull through another day and many days too.  Yet, a fear lingered in the depths of his heart.. “What if Mr Om didn't wake up tomorrow?”  Looking toward the guest room, he sent a silent prayer heavenwards.............. “God I’ve done what best I could as of now.  Do, please see him through the night….”.


***********


......................... Continued



© 2015 Effervescent Dreams


Author's Note

Effervescent Dreams
Pls comment on the content, the flow, the diction and the dialogue. also comment on anything u find worth telling about.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I read this through twice and didn't find a single mistake. It's very well written, and the dialogue sounds real. You seem to use a lot of ellipses but then so do I, though an editor once cautioned me against using too many.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Effervescent Dreams

8 Years Ago

Thanks Marie for your feedback and appreciation. Glad that you called my attention to the ellipses... read more
Just amazing and such a great story line Nimmi!
I see so much talent and potential in your work!
So please keep on writing like you do!

C. Lee Battaglia

Posted 8 Years Ago


Effervescent Dreams

8 Years Ago

Thanks Lee
Nimmi,

I read your writing here and want to say how talented you are! I love the way you introduce the setting and characters. Your writing style defines a constant gratuitous pace of enlightenment as well as warring with the darkness of our flaws in the human world we thrive upon. I enjoyed the dimensions of your characters and cannot wait to read more! I struggle writing books and the way you write inspires me...you could definitely depict vivid images in my head, you have tons of talent with this! I only want to know more and read more! Thank you!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Effervescent Dreams

8 Years Ago

Thanks dear. Your response was overwhelming!.... You've boosted my morale to pick up where i left o.. read more
Depth of Woman

8 Years Ago

You are very welcome and a very kind sister!! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 11, 2014
Last Updated on June 20, 2015


Author

Effervescent Dreams
Effervescent Dreams

KERALA, India



About
Hi! I'm fun loving and happy-go-lucky, with a humanitarian mindset and a Utopian dream for gender equality across the globe more..

Writing