Chapter Five - The Deal

Chapter Five - The Deal

A Chapter by Nix

 

Chapter Five

My fingers circled Beth’s cell phone as I pulled it out from under the pillow where I’d hidden it earlier. I must’ve sat there staring at it for a good few minutes just asking myself do I or don’t I? I had one hour before I was due to meet Beth in the hotel bar downstairs, I didn’t have time to think about it any longer so I searched the phone directory finding ‘Michael’ and rang it.

 

That was the point of no return. When he answered, I told him everything about the affair but that was only part of it. After the initial abuse he gave me, he offered me a little deal. Now you’re wondering what the deal is, don’t worry I will get to that shortly.

 

I agreed to the deal, but I didn’t expect him to turn up at the hotel and catch us in the lift like he had. I was pissed about that, I’d still hoped to have the weekend as planned. But I was also pissed because I knew what he was there for.

 

When I stepped out of the lift I headed for the room. I felt sick knowing how much Beth was hurting, and how could I expect her to choose? I couldn't, but it had gone too far for that. That’s when I used Beth’s mobile to ring him.

 

He answered abruptly; he knew it would be me.

 

“You’re here for the deal? I thought we agreed, two days?” I spat at him.

 
“You think I’d let you play around with my wife while I waited at home, you're out of your mind! Now you made me a deal, so let’s do this!”
 
 

“Ok, ok, I will make the call and arrange it. We can leave here and get everything sighed within a few hours!” I was so angry. I was pacing the floor knowing Beth would be on the ground floor by now looking for him.

 
“Good! We can meet in fifteen minutes out front, and you’d better be there” he said and ended the call before I had a chance to respond. I could tell, by the gravel in his throat that he’d seen Beth approaching.
 

I hated leaving her, but had left myself no choice. I quickly packed my bag leaving nothing but a note for her. I couldn’t risk letting her know everything, only that I was sorry for putting her through what I was about to do to her.

 

I took the lift down, careful on my way out not to be seen by Beth. If she were anywhere by the reception she'd spot me! I was relieved she wasn’t but I have to admit to Charlie being overly suspicious as I handed over my key.

 

“I’m sorry, you’re leaving?” He asked almost sorry for me.

 

“Rain check” I told him with tears in my eyes, and before he could speak I walked away toward the exit.

 

I waited outside for five minutes or so before Michael joined me. He wasn’t an attractive man he was short and stumpy, with a rather large belly and stunk of cigar smoke! His suit was the only nice thing about him.

 

“Susan, glad to see you haven't decided to back out then?” he piped up, the loss of his wife didn’t seem to have much of an affect on him, which only assured me I was doing the right thing.

 

We stepped into a car and left, leaving Beth behind. The thought of her finding my note, finding me gone, it left me breathless. As the car pulled away I almost changed my mind – more than once! But I didn’t. We pulled up outside a national bank and stepped out. There we made our deal – my million pound company for his wife. Little did he know it was the best deal I’d ever make!

 

An hour later we exited the bank and went our separate ways, each in a different car. I ordered my driver to take me back to Huston Hotel the second the car pulled away. I tried calling Beth, leaving messages when she didn’t answer and when I arrived there I ran out, leaving my luggage in the boot with my unpaid driver to curse at mewhen I ignored him.

 

Inside I noticed Charlie at the reception desk and called out to him.

 

“She still has her key, she must be still upstairs!” he told me hastily, recognising the desperation my voice, and as I began to move toward the lift he called me back, “Room 725?” he asked holding out the key card to me.

 

I quickly ran back and took the card from his hand. “Thank you!” I said with nod and then continued to run toward the lift, my hills click clacking with every step!

 

It seemed to me that the lift was slower than before, if that was even possible, again stopping at every floor! I held my breath at every stop expecting someone to step inside and hit the ground floor button. I knew the lift would go back down before going up.

 

“Ting!” finally the doors to the 9th floor opened and I stepped out, my hand on my chest, my heart in my throat.

 

There I walked nervously down the silent corridor toward our room. There at the door I take a deep breath and slide the key card in. I push the door open gently, expecting to see her, packing or hear her crying… but there was nothing.

 
“Beth?” I called out but still nothing. Stepping inside I noticed her stuff was gone and there on the bed was her mobile and her key card. I didn’t have time to consider why or where she might’ve gone, just that she wasn’t there. So I picked up her mobile and the key and left, heading back down to reception.
 

Charlie seemed to hesitate when he saw me move from the lift toward the desk. I lifted my head to him, trying not to let the tears fall.

 
“Susan?” His eyes widened when he saw how upset I was.
 

“Charlie…” I said with sigh and handed him both the key cards.

 
“You didn’t see her?”
 

“No, she’s not there. She left the key on the bed” I told him and turned, starting for the exit.

 
“Wait!”
 

I turned back sharply. Charlie looked unsure, until finally he decided to step around the desk and come closer to me.

 
“I saw her, I’m sorry, I saw her with him, the husband a few minutes before you returned”
 

I looked into his eyes but saw nothing, everything was a blur. “What did you say?”

 

“He paid me to keep quiet. It was no more than ten minutes ago. I’m sorry!” Charlie bit his lip nervously.

 
But I didn’t care for him betraying me now, only Beth and of how she and her husband tricked me into signing my business away… and of course, if I’d ever see either of them ever again.
 
 
 


© 2009 Nix


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)

Stats

247 Views
Added on April 5, 2009
Last Updated on April 5, 2009


Author

Nix
Nix

100% British!, United Kingdom



About
Hi, my names Nic, better known as Nixie on the popular writing site called Booksie. I've been using the site for a while now and decided to venture out a bit. I'm planning on posting the best of my ol.. more..

Writing
Without her Without her

A Poem by Nix


My Heart My Heart

A Poem by Nix


My City My City

A Poem by Nix