Grit and Bone

Grit and Bone

A Story by NoNameChris
"

A short journal entry styled story. Perhaps some day I will write out a fuller version.

"
Kohr's journal, Year after Juno province.
, Day : 45th.


It's still cold. There's no clouds out, so the sunset is eerily beautiful. The purple tint of sky is twisting together with the orange sunset. I found a tape player among a pile of rubble on the outskirts of ground zero. Also found new lens for my those broken goggles I mentioned in my last entry. Nobody around left to use this stuff anyway. I guess we really can call it 'Ghost city' now, huh? Nobody can even go near the place, 'cept for me of course. Anyway...

I've decided to finally write down my accounts from 'Ghost city'. I'll do my best to summon the memories I have left from a half functioning mind. Hopefully after my death someone can understand from my completed journal just what happened to this planet.

I guess it all begins with the capsule those science crew from the state had found. My people simply called it The Egg. This small ball of energy was discovered beneath the city, deep in the heart of it all. The engine. Everybody knew the city was powered by this thing, hidden in a chamber below the centre of the city. But what people hadn't known, was that the crystals in the engine chamber were a living thing. They were a non-sentient energy, which had its own structure of DNA and the sort. Well i can tell you, when those scientists found The Egg they were excited. It was an extractable source of energy, that could progress their kind into a future we can only imagine. Needless to say, that future ain't comin.

Now, I don't have the time to talk too much about the birth of the Ghosts. The sun's settin' and that means all hell for anybody, Ghost or Human. Anyway, We were born from that egg. A sentient race which came from the crystals. Our kind weren't easily accepted by the citizens in Juno province. The local gangs and mobsters of the area ended their 300 year feud and banned together under blood oath, forming the Unora clan. They were the beginning of it all.

And sure, we knew they hunted us like dogs. Cutting down our brothers and sisters without the faintest twitch of remorse. It's only natural, we did the same to them. We had a vendetta against their clan. Always had since we were born. And sure, we knew if they had the chance they'd kill us all. But if I knew the things I did now, back then, well... maybe we coulda gotten outta that hateful town. They weren't just killing us for sport, or for revenge of a fallen member. We were bein' exterminated. A finely calculated plan to erase us from history. Not for power or monetary gain. Not because we had originally dishonored them. Can't truthfully say they were afraid of us much either. We were on the edge of annihilation because we were different. Our race drained the colour of any place we visited. In large numbers, an entire district would swirl with nothing but black and white light. It didn't hurt anybody, but the Unora clan despised us anyway. They also didn't like the powers we possessed. We could manipulate light and dark at our finger tips. Healing our comrades, draining the life out of our enemies... This power was deemed unholy and we were targeted for execution.


In any case, I lead our people in the final assault on their manor. I rallied my people telling them that there was no escape from death. This was mostly true. I told them, they could sit there and die like a dog, or we could choose our death, face it without fear, accept it, and become immortalized in history. Sadly, we ended up halting history, perhaps forever.

After the massacre at the Red hill Manor, the Unora clan moved onto the engine chamber. They were desperate to rid our race from the planet. They drove their sharpened blades into The Egg itself, and the entire Province went up in a blinding black light. Everything living was instantly wiped out. The buildings and all of nature itself took a devastating blow.

And that's how it happened ladies and gentlemen. I'm the only one left, I haven't seen a human since this all began. Just those horrible mutated ghosts that ravage everything when dark falls. By the way, if there's anyone out there, and they happen to find this journal, you gotta rip their hearts out to kill them. It's a small white ball of light in the centre of our left eyes.

~Kohr

© 2011 NoNameChris


Author's Note

NoNameChris
Be fair and enjoy : )

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on October 3, 2011
Last Updated on October 3, 2011

Author

NoNameChris
NoNameChris

Pickering, Durham, Canada



About
I have always enjoyed writing and reading. I am interested in abstract craziness, conflicts during wars, history, elements of nature, and fantasy. more..

Writing