Christmas Past/Christmas Present

Christmas Past/Christmas Present

A Poem by NoelHC
"

Sitting in the kitchen with my mother the other day, I had a flashback to one of my first Christmas memories, six decades ago, sitting in another kitchen at Christmas with her and my grandmother.

"
My mother had been in the hospital, and came home earlier in the week, after recovering from a stroke.

I drove over to visit her, and to drop off Christmas gifts for her and my father. I also returned the perpetual birthday card she had given me years ago for my Christmas birthday so that she could write the year in it for me.

We sat in the kitchen, visiting, she got up to make a cup of coffee. I have associated coffee with my mother for as long as I can remember. The aroma of the coffee filled the room, and suddenly in my mind the scene changed.

I was in another kitchen in the house we lived in, in Smoky Lake, again seated at a kitchen table, but the woman with me was my mother in her youth, her skin smooth, her hair darker, short as she has worn it most of her life, and wavy. She was young, in her early twenties, and beautiful.

On the stove a coffee percolator sat, the brown liquid bubbled up into the clear glass knob on its lid, it made a happy blurping sound as the coffee brewed, and the room was full of its pungent aroma.

In one corner of the kitchen was a baby pram, in it my sister Pamela, born only three months before. She was asleep.

On the kitchen counter a small radio, the glow of its dial shining through the numbers printed on it.  It had a chocolate brown case, and a cream colored face. I remember the warmth, and the smell, and the light the tubes threw on the wall behind it at night. "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" came through its speaker, the music setting the tone.

Also sitting at the table was my dad's mother, my grandmother. We called her Baba, as was the custom in Ukrainian families. I was her first grandchild, my sister Pam in the pram, her second. I always thought of Baba as always being old, but she was only forty-six years old at the time.

The smell of fresh cut spruce came into the room through the doorway, my grandfather, Dido, had delivered a Black Spruce, its needles short and plentiful, dark green in color, for our Christmas tree. Dido would head off into the woods on his farm, with a large bow saw slung over his shoulder, and would harvest a tree for each of his family members every year. My dad and he set it up in the tree stand for my mother to decorate.

I looked at the window beside me, frost patterns of feathers, ferns, trees, stars and thousand of other images excited my imagination and entertained me. My mother explained to me in her soft voice that Jack Frost had blown his breath on the window to make pictures for me.

All of this flashed through my mind in an instant, sixty years later, another Christmas, another kitchen, my Baba gone for many years, no frost on the window, but the coffee stirred all these ancient memories up for me. I remained silent about it, overwhelmed by it all. I looked at my mother, frail, and tired from her hospital stay, and I could still see that young woman.

I was preparing to leave and go do some errands I had for our own Christmas preparations, when my father said "Wait, I have something of Dido's in the garage for you." He returned with my grandfather's ancient bow saw, the one I watched him cut firewood with for years, the same saw he would sling over his shoulder to go into the woods to get Christmas trees for his two sons and his daughter every year.

My father would have had this saw in his garage for over twenty years now, I have no idea what made him decide that today he would pass it on to me. I had no idea he even had the old saw from the farm. I had not thought of it for decades, until the short flash of memory I had about that Christmas past, when I was three.

Merry Christmas to all!



© 2015 NoelHC


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That was great. Every year for the last 25 yrs I have gone with my wife children and now grandchildren to cut down a 15 ft tree for her house. We all drag it in and decorate it with ornaments all different some from as far back as 50 yrs ago. My own children have become so attached to this that they will no doubt do the same with their children. And though many like fake trees I dont think our homes will ever be dressed with them. I thank you for this as tradition is what makes family special.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you Tate, we finally succumbed to an artificial tree a few years ago. The "live" trees for sal.. read more
Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

I hope your Christmas went well



Reviews

Just seeing this now … a beautiful remembrance, Noel. I too have the great fortune to call my grandma … Baba.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you Pryde, I appreciate your visit.
A most poignant and relaxed piece, a memory to savour and remember for all time I imagine, well done, good read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you Thomas, I am pleased you enjoyed it.
They say the heart of the home is the kitchen, and I believe our memories are nutured there the most. I remember the constant perking of coffee, just like you described, and the cognizant sound of conversation streamming from the dining room.

Your story is beautiful and warm, and very tender. I'm certain it will continue to bring you as much joy and melancholy through the coming years, as it does now. Christmas has a way of taking us back, reminding us from where we came. We must always feel blessed for that!

Happy New Year, Noel!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you Kelly. I appreciate your kind words.
Kelly Scheppers

9 Years Ago

...good to see you!
Great writing as always Noel, I just love reading your work.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you, good to see you again. I have been quiet on here, traveling a bit.
it is funny how some things can illicit memories of times past and we flash there in our minds... this one is told in the beautiful way that I have come to love in your writing.. it has such intimate details mixed with honest, sincere emotion that reaches out and stirs the same in the reader.. warm, loving write my friend.. it left me with some tender moments of times past of my own.. lovely as always.. ((hugs)) and Happy New Year:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much April, I was hoping you would see this one as I knew it would probably touch you. .. read more
AprilRN1210

9 Years Ago

always my pleasure, Noel.. touch me it did.. you are more than welcome :)
That was great. Every year for the last 25 yrs I have gone with my wife children and now grandchildren to cut down a 15 ft tree for her house. We all drag it in and decorate it with ornaments all different some from as far back as 50 yrs ago. My own children have become so attached to this that they will no doubt do the same with their children. And though many like fake trees I dont think our homes will ever be dressed with them. I thank you for this as tradition is what makes family special.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you Tate, we finally succumbed to an artificial tree a few years ago. The "live" trees for sal.. read more
Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

I hope your Christmas went well
Oh, Noel, such great family childhood memories. Perhaps your dad had similar thoughts of the same christmases with your grandfather and your grandmother. Time flies when we least expect it, in a blink, and it's gone. Thank you for sharing this holiday memory with us...:)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and commenting. This has been shared around the family, my mother was really t.. read more
Bright Ocean Star

9 Years Ago

I'm sure she was. You are sweet to write this and share it with them. It probably made her Christm.. read more
NoelHC

9 Years Ago

I think the best thing for her was getting out of the hospital before Christmas!
This was great. You writing always has a certain warmth to it that I really don't see in evert writer.
Excellent read.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Glad you enjoyed it, my mother was moved by it when she read it. Thanks for reading.
Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words.
This is so beautifully written, Noel. Such a wonderful piece of prose to share, the memories are just oozing from it - really spectacular.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you Sye, I am happy you liked it.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

641 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 21, 2014
Last Updated on February 4, 2015

Author

NoelHC
NoelHC

Alberta, Canada



Writing
Shah Mat Shah Mat

A Book by NoelHC



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..