Christmas Past/Christmas Present

Christmas Past/Christmas Present

A Poem by NoelHC
"

Sitting in the kitchen with my mother the other day, I had a flashback to one of my first Christmas memories, six decades ago, sitting in another kitchen at Christmas with her and my grandmother.

"
My mother had been in the hospital, and came home earlier in the week, after recovering from a stroke.

I drove over to visit her, and to drop off Christmas gifts for her and my father. I also returned the perpetual birthday card she had given me years ago for my Christmas birthday so that she could write the year in it for me.

We sat in the kitchen, visiting, she got up to make a cup of coffee. I have associated coffee with my mother for as long as I can remember. The aroma of the coffee filled the room, and suddenly in my mind the scene changed.

I was in another kitchen in the house we lived in, in Smoky Lake, again seated at a kitchen table, but the woman with me was my mother in her youth, her skin smooth, her hair darker, short as she has worn it most of her life, and wavy. She was young, in her early twenties, and beautiful.

On the stove a coffee percolator sat, the brown liquid bubbled up into the clear glass knob on its lid, it made a happy blurping sound as the coffee brewed, and the room was full of its pungent aroma.

In one corner of the kitchen was a baby pram, in it my sister Pamela, born only three months before. She was asleep.

On the kitchen counter a small radio, the glow of its dial shining through the numbers printed on it.  It had a chocolate brown case, and a cream colored face. I remember the warmth, and the smell, and the light the tubes threw on the wall behind it at night. "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" came through its speaker, the music setting the tone.

Also sitting at the table was my dad's mother, my grandmother. We called her Baba, as was the custom in Ukrainian families. I was her first grandchild, my sister Pam in the pram, her second. I always thought of Baba as always being old, but she was only forty-six years old at the time.

The smell of fresh cut spruce came into the room through the doorway, my grandfather, Dido, had delivered a Black Spruce, its needles short and plentiful, dark green in color, for our Christmas tree. Dido would head off into the woods on his farm, with a large bow saw slung over his shoulder, and would harvest a tree for each of his family members every year. My dad and he set it up in the tree stand for my mother to decorate.

I looked at the window beside me, frost patterns of feathers, ferns, trees, stars and thousand of other images excited my imagination and entertained me. My mother explained to me in her soft voice that Jack Frost had blown his breath on the window to make pictures for me.

All of this flashed through my mind in an instant, sixty years later, another Christmas, another kitchen, my Baba gone for many years, no frost on the window, but the coffee stirred all these ancient memories up for me. I remained silent about it, overwhelmed by it all. I looked at my mother, frail, and tired from her hospital stay, and I could still see that young woman.

I was preparing to leave and go do some errands I had for our own Christmas preparations, when my father said "Wait, I have something of Dido's in the garage for you." He returned with my grandfather's ancient bow saw, the one I watched him cut firewood with for years, the same saw he would sling over his shoulder to go into the woods to get Christmas trees for his two sons and his daughter every year.

My father would have had this saw in his garage for over twenty years now, I have no idea what made him decide that today he would pass it on to me. I had no idea he even had the old saw from the farm. I had not thought of it for decades, until the short flash of memory I had about that Christmas past, when I was three.

Merry Christmas to all!



© 2015 NoelHC


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That was great. Every year for the last 25 yrs I have gone with my wife children and now grandchildren to cut down a 15 ft tree for her house. We all drag it in and decorate it with ornaments all different some from as far back as 50 yrs ago. My own children have become so attached to this that they will no doubt do the same with their children. And though many like fake trees I dont think our homes will ever be dressed with them. I thank you for this as tradition is what makes family special.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you Tate, we finally succumbed to an artificial tree a few years ago. The "live" trees for sal.. read more
Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

I hope your Christmas went well



Reviews

Very lovely story and heartwarming! Great job! :D

-Mila

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you Mila.
A lovely story Noel, and so beautifully written.

Such memories are to be treasured forever.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words.
This is heartwarming and the emotions come through so well. Excellent, and moving, Noel!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you Jennie, pleased you enjoyed it.
This is really neat. It's fun to recall memories of childhood.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thanks KL, Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas Noel! This is a very moving and emotional write. Thanks for sharing it!

-CW

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you Cody, and Merry Christmas to you as well.
So Touching. Nice To Read This Sir.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you for dropping by.
Gosh, this was a very moving memory.
I have a Baba and a Dedo too, Macedonia is not from from Ukrania...
Big hugs for you my friend, Merry Christmas to you and your family.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much Ana, I am pleased you enjoyed this.
Среќен Божиќ
You've penned a very potent set of memories here. It does seem that Christmas memories stand out in high relief all our lives.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

NoelHC

9 Years Ago

I find those Christmas memories from when I was a kid are still vivid, more recent ones just have bl.. read more
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

YW and Merry Christmas!

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

643 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 21, 2014
Last Updated on February 4, 2015

Author

NoelHC
NoelHC

Alberta, Canada



Writing
Shah Mat Shah Mat

A Book by NoelHC



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..