SECTION: Nicholas

SECTION: Nicholas

A Chapter by A.Albanese
"

Unedited, terribly horrid version of the beginning. Obviously not done

"

Every winter, the few geese that are left still migrate to the south. After all this time, and everything that's happened to us, some things just never change.


The geese don't stick around cause it's too cold. Why would anyone want to stick around here anyways? You come visit, laugh at how sad it is, and then you leave. You don't stick around.


I saw one fly past the stained window beside me in my Time Studies class. There’s about 8 of us, and we’re a tight group of friends. It’s been so long since I’ve seen the sun, but it thankfully decided to come out of the clouds today, and say hello to us survivors. An ugly, gray haze usually lingered in the air for some reason, but the sun swept it away today. It felt nice to have its rays rest on the surface my skin, it was literally the brightest part of my week. “So today, were going to get more in-depth with time travel,” Said my teacher. Every word that’s ever stumbled out of his mouth was pure bullshit. Ever since our government fell, we could just walk out of class and never show up again, but the reason why I’m here, unlike hundreds of kids who left, is because I need to get out of here. How odd does that sound? What I’m trying to do, is find a way to travel into the future- where I can get away from this hell they still call Earth. All the love that’s ever surrounded the earth has disappeared into thin air. Most of us are malnourished and homeless, so the crime rate is out of control. We lurk through the shadows and loot every abandoned place we find. Robots and other high end technologies began to take over every job. Cleaning the streets, farming, selling products, everything your vast mind can imagine. It cost so much money to operate these new technologies, so our government eventually fell after murder attempts and violent protests. Now, we have nothing. We were given what we needed, asked for more, and now we have nothing. I shook myself back to reality, listening to the teacher babble about his own opinons on time travel. "Well, enough about me," I was suddenly interested in what he would say next. "If you kids get anything out of this class, I want you to know how dangerous time travel is." I rolled my eyes, he was so overly cautious. "We do have a **time machine**, but it's so incredibly hazardous that we can't allow our students to play around with it. It's locked away in a place I'll never tell you, so don't bother to ask me." Everyone in the class groaned and sighed at this false excitement. He continued, "Anyways, when it was first created, many people were eager to test it out, not knowing that all of their consequences would be fatal...except for one. All of the testers only went a few seconds forward in time. The longest recorded time is 15 seconds. The one and only survivor is Orion Haugs, make sure you're writing this down. Orion was a student here at School #598, and at 17, he decided he wanted to dedicate his life to studying time; specifically time travel. He was always the odd one out in his classes, everyone thought he naive and foolish, when really, he had a heart of gold and good intentions. He proved to be very intelligent after studying hard, and had the privilege of trying the *time machine* and coming back unscathed.  Do you know how long he lasted there? 15 seconds kids, write that down. When he came back, he was panting and throwing up out of dizziness. When he left on recovery, he was never seen again."


The room fell silent. This was one of those times where you just felt so separated from reality, that you could of sworn you were flying. I felt comforted, but so upset about Mr. Ghib's story. I want to get away so bad, I just want to sprout wings and fly away to better times. The scientists have found everything we need to know, just not what's going to happen next; if I can find this, all of our mysteries will be solved. We can put our weary thoughts to rest, and I can finally sleep peacefully. If I can find out how the world ends, I will be satisfied enough to die right there, on future soil. I refuse to die here. I'd feel like the world has won

-----------


BRRINNGG! Everyone ran out the door that still hung on one hinge.“That is your homework for today, please come again!” Mr. Ghib yelled into the halls. He sighed. I never really noticed how ugly this school is. The blackboard is really gray, there’s holes in the pale red brick pattern, the chairs and desks are half broken and scattered around the room...and I never noticed. We overlook what's right in front of us sometimes. “Is there something you need, Ivy?” He said, startling me. “Oh no, sir, I was just thinking; Goodbye!” I said as I jogged away. Little did I know that'd be the last time I'd ever talk to him.



© 2013 A.Albanese


Author's Note

A.Albanese
JUST IDEAS

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like how you began.
This has the taste of an excerpt and the taste if an introduction. I think you need to write more. Just keep on writing. Your writing is interesting to read. But, i'm afraid at this point, it tells no story.
Don't worry though. Keep on writing. I'd like to see how this story develops.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is not a chapter, this is a little exert of the very beginning

Posted 11 Years Ago


Just looking at how I actually posted this on the internet is so embarrassing, I should never share such rough sections with other people, bahaha
I was just getting ideas out and skipping ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of parts

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like how you began.
This has the taste of an excerpt and the taste if an introduction. I think you need to write more. Just keep on writing. Your writing is interesting to read. But, i'm afraid at this point, it tells no story.
Don't worry though. Keep on writing. I'd like to see how this story develops.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed it. Can't wait to read the finished version!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

271 Views
4 Reviews
Added on December 16, 2012
Last Updated on March 14, 2013
Tags: Nicholas, Sci-Fi, Science, fiction, End of the world, Apocalypse, War, Future, Fantasy, Love, family, friendship
Previous Versions


Author

A.Albanese
A.Albanese

Canada



About
I procrastinate...a lot more..

Writing
Nicholas Nicholas

A Book by A.Albanese