Chapter 2- Markus

Chapter 2- Markus

A Chapter by Octi
"

Chapter 2- from Markus Cher's view

"

Markus Cher's footsteps made no sound as he walked through the alley. He did not need to turn around to know the girl had made up her mind to follow him, since hers were making some noise.

They reached the other end of the alley very quickly. Instead of reaching another busy street as one would expect, they reached a street of run-down houses and bricks which make you feel as if you were being watched.

Walking casually downing the street, Markus did his best not to draw attention to himself and the girl. Heads turned to look at her, quickly looking back what they were doing when he glared at them. Twisting his way through even more streets, he finally reaches his destination: his home.

Opening the bare wooden door, Markus ducked as he stepped through the doorframe into the darkness. The girl waited outside as he lit a candle, lighting up the small room. The room only contained a cot, a chair, a table, a couple of books, and a pile of clothes in a corner.

“Come in,” Markus said as he set the candle on the table.

“Where to? All the space is taken up.”

Looking around, Markus realized for the first time how small is home is. He shrugged as he started moving things around, doing his best to make more room. “I’ve lived here for the past twenty-seven years. It might seem small to you, but it’s fine for me. What’s your name?”

She hesitates for a moment. “Ika Norhe.”

Markus’ head snapps to her. “I know that isn’t true.”

“What makes you think so?”

“Because you would have walked in if that wasn’t true. And, you are the only new person to this town in a few months. This isn’t a town to gain visitors. You must be someone worthwhile if the guards start to freak out.” He held up a hand as she began to speak. “And I know it isn’t the way you dress.”

Looking both directions before she stepped in, making the now too-small space even smaller.

“Shut the door.”

“Do we-”

“If you don’t what the world to know your secrets, yes.”

She clicked the door shut. “You said you were going someplace where we wouldn’t be overheard.”

Markus sighed as he stood up, the top of his head mere inches from the ceiling. “In this part of the city, ‘secrets’ are kept. That, or they are whispered to the highest bidder. This is probably one of the safest spots on this street. The only access to the outside world here is through that door, the one you just closed. The walls are made of stone. The only way to hear is through magic. So I’ll ask again: what is your name?”

“Mara.”

“Starag?”

She nodded slightly.

“Are you crazy! Do you know how much danger you are in by being here? This is one of the most guarded cities in the kingdom and as a most wanted you are here?”

“The last place I was at was attacked by pirates. I was forced to move. Who are you?”

“Markus. Markus Cher. Criminal. Not someone to be associated with.”

“Then why did you ‘save’ me?”

“Because I’ve been watching you. You stick out.”

“Oh. Were you in the alley?”

He nodded. “Yes. I moved the rock by accident. What did you pull out of your pocket and start clicking to?”

Mara forced her face neutral, but her eyes showed surprised. “What are you talking about?”

“You really think I wouldn’t notice a dress-wearing lady pull a yellow lizard out of a pocket that doesn’t exist and start clicking away at it? And then it responds?”

Mara shoves her hand into her front right pocket and pulls out a yellow lizard. It looked up a Mara’s face from her hand before turning to face Markus. It began to make clicking noises. Mara responded in kind, causing it to turn back to Mara and have a conversation.

After about a minute, Mara looked up at Markus. “This is Rikur.” It turned to Markus. “He says he doesn’t know if he should trust you or not.”

“I wouldn’t trust me either. It’s not everyday a criminal leads someone into the run-down part of town.”

“You’re a criminal?”

“Yes. What did you expect? A prince? A spy?”

She started clicking, and the yellow lizard soon started. Turning away from Markus, she stuffed Rikur back into the pocket as he continued to click away. She opened the door, stepping out into the sunlight as she briskly walked away.

Markus dropped the clothes he was moving, and ducked outside. He caught a glimpse of dirty blonde hair disappearing behind a corner they had turned on to reach this place. He began running, doing his best to follow the trail of disappearing hair, while his footsteps made no sound.

Somehow, she managed to stay on the same trail as the one they had come. Every corner turned by Mara then Markus was the same, every stone, brick, building, and garbage along the sides of the alleys were the same.

When he reached the last alley, he saw her stopped at the other end, turned to the right, mouth slightly agape, frozen with her right hand clenching the corner.

“Mara?” Markus stopped. Getting no response, he took a step forward and asked again. “Mara?”

Her head snapped to look at him. She closed her mouth, then opened it, attempting to speak. Although no sound came out of her mouth, her eyes spoke. They spoke of sadness, lostness, and grief.

Markus walked to her as she turned back to look down the street. Reaching the end of the alley, he was able to see around the corner. He saw a crowd comprised of guards and civilians, and two people on the ground, with red stains pooling out from around them. One was an elderly man, a man Markus recognized as an innkeeper and a barkeep. The other was a woman, also new to the town. She looked like an older version of Mara.

One of the guards spoke, quieting the whispers which were cursing through the crowd, “This is what will happen if you do not follow the Dragon Lord’s word! You will die like these two! One was an innkeeper who failed to tell us that two most wanted were in this town. The other, the female, was a most wanted. The guard is aware of the fact there is another most wanted here. If you have information but won’t say, or are hiding her, you will be killed.” Nodding at two fellow guards, he added, “Torch that place. Let them know what other punishments they will face.”

The two guards turned and walking into the tavern, only to exit several seconds later, followed by smoke. They dragged the two bodies into the building entrance, not daring to go back in as the smoke got thicker.

Markus turned back to Mara. She was still frozen, watching the scene.

“Mara. Was that your mother?”

She nodded.

“You can stay with me. It’s probably safer in that part of town than this part.”

She nodded again as a tear began to roll down her cheek. Looking back at the street, Markus thought he saw someone he recognized, walking towards him. But when he blinked, the person was gone. Shaking his head, he began to lead Mara away from the corner and back towards his home.



© 2019 Octi


Author's Note

Octi
Let me know about any grammar or word mistakes!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on May 2, 2019
Last Updated on May 2, 2019
Tags: jas, tides, chapter 1


Author

Octi
Octi

TX



About
"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results." Anonymous more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Octi


Chapter 1-Mara Chapter 1-Mara

A Chapter by Octi