Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by RunsWithCats
"

Jennifer has to make a tough decision, and her Christmas break doesn't go as planned when she meets a striking hitchhiker.

"

       Her first reaction was to just keep on driving. Something seemed different with this one though. Something that made her pull off of the road.

       It had been a long day at work for Jennifer mostly because of her arrogant boss but partly because it was a pretty hectic Christmas shopping day for many. She’d been ready to go home, take a nice hot bath, and curl up with a book in bed before falling asleep. Her plans didn't seem to be going well so far.

       A road block ahead caused by the snow was going to delay her getting home about another half an hour, and her heater wasn't working right, but she was determined to make the most of it. She turned on some Christmas carols and started singing along, drumming on the steering wheel, and swaying to the music. Pretty soon she was almost half way to her exit and already smelling the apple cinnamon candles in her kitchen.

       Up ahead she could see her exit approaching, and she eased toward the right lane. In her peripheral, a shape appeared to be approaching her car. Jennifer glanced over seeing a young man of about his mid twenties walking towards her. He was wearing dark blue jeans, dark boots, a gray knit sweater, and a mid length pea coat. He looked nice enough, but he had his hand held up, flagging her to stop.

       A lot of thoughts ran through her head at that moment. She could stop and see what he needed with a chance of a terrible situation arising, or...she could just keep driving and forever wonder what might have happened if she had just rolled down her window.

       Jennifer was a sophomore in college, having moved into her own apartment only about 6 months ago, and just getting into a life of her own. She’d moved to Colorado, about a 5 hour drive from her home town where her parents lived, and she was still very close to them. She’d visited every weekend, every break, and she’d planned on visiting them during the Christmas break she had just started. Maybe, though, it was time to branch out, starting with this stranger.

       She eased her car to the side of the road, careful not to hit the large snow banks and rolled down her window about three inches. She was being a little daring, but she didn’t plan on being stupid. The man, who stood at about six foot she guesstimated, walked up to the car and leaned down to the window.

       “Afternoon, ma’am,” he greeted her with a low, almost gravelly voice. His brilliant blue eyes held hers, piercing, like ice.

       “Sir,” she managed to get out in reciprocation. She hadn’t noticed how nervous she suddenly had become until she tried to speak. She gripped her steering wheel tighter to hide the slight tremor in her hands. She glanced around the highway, making sure that she wasn’t alone. The heavy traffic held steady, and she relaxed the slightest bit.

       “Can I help you?” Jennifer looked directly at the man, starting to feel bolder, or at least trying to appear so.

       “Well, ma’am, you see, I’m in need of a ride,” his gaze wondered down the road in front of her car as he talked, squinting in the snow that began to fall. “It’s a long story, but one of my...friends ended up dropping me here, and I’ve got somewhere to be.” His eyes found hers again, and a fleeting look entered that crystal blue before it was gone. A look of anger? Or fear...

       Jennifer was well aware of the dangers of picking up hitchhikers, and she knew her parents would be beside themselves if they could see her right now. All she could picture in her mind were headlines on the news channel: “College Girl Abducted by Hitchhiker” or “Hitchhiker Brutally Murders Naive College Girl.” The logical part of her brain was screaming at her to just leave him be, but her conscious was telling her to open the door for this interesting man standing in the snow.

      The man glanced back at the road, trying hard to suppress a shiver. Jennifer could hardly take it, this poor man. Or was he acting to get her to allow him in...? Her head was reeling. She closed her eyes, gritting her teeth around the words, but she let out a sigh and unlocked the door. “Get in.”

       The man, tall as he was, folded himself into her little car, and shut the door quickly behind him. He couldn’t hide the next shiver that shook his whole frame. His hand shook the snow from his chocolate brown  almost espresso hair that settled in a messy yet stylish way about his head. It just grazed the tops of his ears, bedhead, but sexy.

       Jennifer forced her gaze out the window before he caught her staring. Reaching to the backseat, she brought up a heavy wool blanket, offering it to him. “My heater hasn’t been working right today,” she explained, apologetically. He gratefully took the blanket, though she saw the small smile he gave her explanation.

       She pulled her coat tighter around her, realizing how cold it had really become. Rubbing her hands together for warmth, she glanced over at the man. “I’m Jennifer. Jennifer Olen.” She offered her hand.

       He looked at her hand, his eyes drifting up to meet hers. Offering his hand, “I’m Erik Carsen.” His grip was firm and cold, but his hands were strong and gentle. The handshake lasted longer than what she’d pictured, his eyes wondering, searching for something in her gaze.

       Jennifer turned away cheeks red, breaking the moment. She had no idea what had just happened, or where her night had gone. She cleared her throat and put the car in drive. “So where are you headed?”

       Erik was watching out the window; he didn’t turn to look at her as he said, “Right now...can you just drive?” He turned then, and she could see the tired look in his eyes. She had so many questions.

       She pulled the car back onto the road; the traffic had dwindled a bit. She snuck a glance at Erik from the corner of her eye. He was leaning against the car door, eyes closed, huddled under her blanket. It was hard to not feel something for him, almost like she felt the need to protect him. The logical side of her kept reminding her that he was a stranger, she didn’t know where he was coming from, and he could be a total mess waiting to ruin her life. Something about him though brought out a daring side of her that wanted to find out what this mystery of Erik Carsen was.

       Jennifer didn’t know whether he was sleeping or not, but she wanted to try to get some answers. “Erik...”

       His eyelids fluttered, but remained close. “Hm?”

       “Don’t you think we should talk here? I have no clue where I’m going, and honestly, I don’t know if I can trust you.” When she looked over at him again, he was looking at her like he was trying to decide what he should say first. His eyes were guarded; he wouldn’t cough up much information freely.

       “I know I’m just strange guy that you picked up on the side of the road in the middle of the night, but I promise you I won’t hurt you. I’m one of the good guys.” His gaze flickered toward the window.

       “What does that even-”

       “It doesn’t matter. I just really need to get away from here right now,” he cut her off, his eyes closing again.

       “I thought you said you had a specific destination...” What had she gotten herself into? “Can you at least give me a direction? I don’t want to just drive blindly all night. I have a life.” She almost thought she saw Erik cringe out of the corner of her eye, but she dismissed it.

       “Okay...What if I just take you through town and find a hotel that you can stay in for the night?” she suggested.

       “That’s fine.” He didn’t even open his eyes. Jennifer, determined now, took the next exit into town. She could still make it home for some sleep tonight.

       The city lights welcomed her as she pulled off of the exit ramp. She passed a few gas stations and a Walmart with a hotel approaching on her left. Erik had fallen asleep she assumed by his deep breathing. She put her blinker on to turn into the parking lot, but noticed that the ‘no’ on the vacancy sign was lit. She sighed and kept driving. The next hotel she passed also had no vacancies, and the few after that said the same thing. Then it hit her. It was almost Christmas. Every hotel was going to be full, and Erik was just going to be out of luck. She couldn’t just drop him off somewhere though. It was so cold outside, the snow was coming down harder, and there was a storm quickly approaching.

       She kept driving, but slower, not in a hurry. Jennifer looked at the sleeping man sitting next to her. She knew in her head that this was a foolish situation to have gotten into, but she knew in her heart that she couldn’t just push him back to the curb. He seemed nice, and it was only for a night. Biting her lip, she took one more look at Erik, and then headed towards home.



© 2013 RunsWithCats


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

RunsWithCats
Let me know what you think and any suggestions you may have! Enjoy and thanks for reading! God Bless ^_^

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm intrigued, and wildly curious. What happens next? What happens when Erik wakes up? What will happen after and what is he running from? I have a feeling I won't sleep tonight... :D Very well written, brought up all kinds of emotions. Loved the piece! God bless you.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

RunsWithCats

8 Years Ago

Thanks a bunch Cass! It's been awhile since I've taken a look at this piece, so nothing new has real.. read more



Reviews

I'm intrigued, and wildly curious. What happens next? What happens when Erik wakes up? What will happen after and what is he running from? I have a feeling I won't sleep tonight... :D Very well written, brought up all kinds of emotions. Loved the piece! God bless you.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

RunsWithCats

8 Years Ago

Thanks a bunch Cass! It's been awhile since I've taken a look at this piece, so nothing new has real.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 30, 2013
Last Updated on December 30, 2013


Author

RunsWithCats
RunsWithCats

About
Love reading and writing! Don't write much on here anymore, but enjoy browsing the different books. xP more..

Writing