On the Odious Disposition of Mankind in Regards to Nature From the Perspective of one of its Members...

On the Odious Disposition of Mankind in Regards to Nature From the Perspective of one of its Members...

A Story by Toney Vega
"

Umm, pretty much a random thought I had during a thunderstorm at my house.

"

The air smells crisp and cool after the summer rain clensed it of its impurity

Birds chirpped to each other whilst hopping about awkwardly on the grass as a warning of what's to come

The storm had not yet subsided

But in the brief intermission between the appetizer and the main course the neighbors all come out onto their front porches to see if the were the only ones to have lost dominion over their electricity.

What encourages these people to flock to their front porches as if they were sheep herded by some invisible shepherd?

 

Could in be that humanity has an inbred sense of fear of the darkness and naturally seeks out the light in some clandestine fashion?

 

Or is it simply the less poetic theme of nosy neighbors wanting to be sure that they were not the only ones to be deprived of their Olympic dominion.

 

I guess I must ponder more deeply the existentialism of humanity for it is commonly believed that one thinks therefore one is.

I find it more accurate to say that one thinks therefore one has the potential to exist.

When one thinks, one is no longer bound by the pysical limitations of existence and is free to live outside of the scope of space and time.

Freedom of thought allows humanity to survive in the hostile conditions of a totalitarian regime or even the solitude of space,

Drifting along effortlessly, rationing your air hoping that someday, someone will find you and breath life back into your lungs.

Or simply experience that which is inexperiencable.

Such as travelling back in time and transforming into a dinosaur and having to fight for your life and your survival.

Or being a secret agent living the life of a millionaire by day and a tactical espionage expert by night.

 

But I digress.

 

The storm is now giving its last wounded cries as it slowly dies away, and now it's time to rest. ©

© 2008 Toney Vega


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
Added on August 18, 2008

Author

Toney Vega
Toney Vega

Richmond, VA



About
I'm an 18 year old artist who specializes in music and writing. All of my writing centers around my life at the current moment as both a form of escapism and a way to face things that are bothering o.. more..

Writing